Forum

• If you are new to these Forums, please take a moment to register using the fields above.
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
"Things" vs Omnifocus....or any other software tool Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OmniFocus

I prefer OmniFocus though any software I've seen has to be "tricked" to really work with GTD.

For example in OF I use Someday/Maybe as a context. While that might sound really strange from a GTD perspective I'm just tricking the system to get it the way I want.

I have a top level folder for each Horizon and in Areas of Focus I use OF project items to represent my different 20k areas - e.g. Bills & Finances. Then I can use the OF action items to "hang" both actionable things as well as Someday/Maybe things by using various contexts.

It sounds more complicated than it really is and helps make my Weekly Reviews better.

Mark

Comment

Still using www.getflow.com. The app has come a long way since April. Check it out again and see for yourself!

Comment

I have used both, and I've found that Things is much better suited for my needs. While Things isn't perfect, it is a much closer fit to my needs than OF.

I can't speak to the syncing issues that others have with Things--or its apparent lack of a quality sync--because I only use Things on my laptop. I have a different capture tool on my mobile that is always with me and suits my needs perfectly.

Comment

Originally posted by GTDWorks View Post
          Still using www.getflow.com. The app has come a long way since April. Check it out again and see for yourself!
          It looks like the only option for off-line functionality is the iPhone app, and a recent reviewer wishes that worked a little better. I'm glad it's working for you, but I suspect that limitation, the cost, and the not-so-generous 14-day free trial will mean flow gets mostly customers new to quality productivity tools, not switchers from something else.

Comment

mcogilvie,

To each his own. No sense of loss or limitation for me at all using Flow. And the sync is great. Much better than Things and its glacial pace of development and obvious limitations.

Comment

Originally posted by GTDWorks View Post
              Much better than Things and its glacial pace of development and obvious limitations.
              Ah well, Things. Such a good start, and such boneheadedness subsequent. I am amazed it's still got the mindshare it has. I think Cultured Code might get internet syncing working before 2013, maybe.

Comment

So many of us were hanging around HOPING that Cultured Code would pull it all together and deliver on cloud sync plus, plus, plus. I hated having to move away but I had no choice as I needed all three devices to be in sync while working away from the office.

Comment

I have been using Things for about 3 years and am very satisfied.

The syncing issue is nearly solved. The beta testing has been going on since early summer (of 2011) and works very smoothly in beta. I would be surprised if it isn't launched publicly by sometime in first half of 2012. You can actually see the beta if you go to Settings and shake your iPhone/iPod/iPad. You will see the beta log-in.

Comment

Cloud Sync with Ipad | Iphone | Outlook | Omnifocus

I have an iPad 2, iPhone 4 and a winxp pro computer running Outlook 2007 and was wondering if anyone has had success syncing Omnifocus without an apple computer?

Originally posted by ccoleman99 View Post
                    Whatever you decide, I think it's absolutely vital that you get a solution that allows a completely frictionless synchronization between your desktop and your iPhone. In other words, it has to feel like you only have "one list" that you can look at from either place, rather than two lists that you have to worry about keeping up to date.

As a practical matter, I think that rules out Things (at least for me, at least for now).

I tried Things and Toodledo, but eventually settled on OmniFocus, and I'm happy with it. It's a clean interface and a well-designed set of applications.

Comment

Originally posted by bsarsozo View Post
                      I have an iPad 2, iPhone 4 and a winxp pro computer running Outlook 2007 and was wondering if anyone has had success syncing Omnifocus without an apple computer?
                      You can sync the iPad and iPhone, no mac needed, just the OmniGroup server. But you may or may not be happy- I wouldn't be.

Comment

Pocket informant?

Has anyone looked at Pocket Informant. I bought it for my iPad and am quite happy with. I just wish it handled ticklers.

Comment

The Hit List is stellar.

Here's a long review (that also mentions Omnifocus):

http://appadvice.com/appnn/2011/07/q...ice-thehitlist

Comment

As an avid Mac user, complete with iPad and iPhone - for me Omnifocus gets a big vote from me.

We use 37 Signals Basecamp as project management hub for all our cilents - we then use Spootnik.net to sync the basecamp projects into Omnifocus.

This makes things so much easier!

Comment

Originally posted by ccoleman99 View Post
                              Whatever you decide, I think it's absolutely vital that you get a solution that allows a completely frictionless synchronization between your desktop and your iPhone. In other words, it has to feel like you only have "one list" that you can look at from either place, rather than two lists that you have to worry about keeping up to date.

As a practical matter, I think that rules out Things (at least for me, at least for now).

I tried Things and Toodledo, but eventually settled on OmniFocus, and I'm happy with it. It's a clean interface and a well-designed set of applications.
                              You know Things allows syncing now, it's in Beta, but seems to work really well. Why did you rule it out?

Comment

Originally posted by apastuszak View Post
                                Has anyone looked at Pocket Informant. I bought it for my iPad and am quite happy with. I just wish it handled ticklers.
                                Hello there, Yes, I use Pocket Informant. It's been my primary tool since my GTD implementation (about 1.5 years ago).

I've found it a bit clunky at times (like for projects and notes) but overall, it does the job. The support (at least when I bought it) wasn't that great either.

I have the app on my iPad and iPhone. There have been times when the sync is off which hasn't happened too often lately but for a while, I was considering jumping ship (maybe to Omnfocus). They seem to have gotten it together though.

I bought the HD version for my iPad and it looks nice but nothing spectucular. I would give it a B- overall. Not a bad option but not great.

To answer the overall question about tools, when I started, I started on paper and stayed clear of the software hype. I wanted some time to allow my system to shape itself and then find a tool that most closely helped me manage that. I think if you worry about the tool too early, you might allow that to shape your system rather than the other way around. My thought is, the software is a tool for your system but not your system itself.

I think this might be why some folks find themselves going back to paper many times...starting over.

Hope this helps!

Comment

Working...
                                X