Forum

• If you are new to these Forums, please take a moment to register using the fields above.
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
"Things" vs Omnifocus....or any other software tool Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why no Evernote in this thread?

This thread has been primarily Things vs Omnifocus. But no mention of Evernote. For synching on multiple platforms and locations it seems like Evernote would be a good option. I must have PC functionality which apparently rules out Omnifocus. Any Evernote devotees?

Comment

Evernote

Originally posted by TommyNashvilleTN View Post
      This thread has been primarily Things vs Omnifocus. But no mention of Evernote. For synching on multiple platforms and locations it seems like Evernote would be a good option. I must have PC functionality which apparently rules out Omnifocus. Any Evernote devotees?
      There certainly are Evernote devotees here, and I'm one of them .. .. .. just not for GTD.

Evernote is, "out of the box" very unstructured with many, many available options. As such, you really have to plan and work at proper setup for any given individual's GTD needs. Certainly can be done and, indeed, there are a number of folks here who strongly advocate for that. Doing a forum search will certainly reveal more detailed discussions of this topic in other threads.

I, personally, find Evernote great for storage/retrieval of random and reference materials. However for task management/GTD, I find other tools that are designed more specifically to that end to be more effective for me.
      (Toodledo online with sync to Ultimate To-Do List on my Android phone).

At the end of the day however, it's whatever works for your personal style and needs that's really important.

Comment

Evernote with other...

Originally posted by johnaohman View Post
        There certainly are Evernote devotees here, and I'm one of them .. .. .. just not for GTD.

Evernote is, "out of the box" very unstructured with many, many available options. As such, you really have to plan and work at proper setup for any given individual's GTD needs. Certainly can be done and, indeed, there are a number of folks here who strongly advocate for that. Doing a forum search will certainly reveal more detailed discussions of this topic in other threads.

I, personally, find Evernote great for storage/retrieval of random and reference materials. However for task management/GTD, I find other tools that are designed more specifically to that end to be more effective for me.
        (Toodledo online with sync to Ultimate To-Do List on my Android phone).
        At the end of the day however, it's whatever works for your personal style and needs that's really important.
        Thx for your reply. Let me ask...
        It seems you'd want some of your 'stuff' in Evernote to connect with something that needs to get DONE. Is that the case? Maybe if u have some more specific examples of waht u put into Evernote I'll get it better. And secondly...
        You mention two apps and the need to sync. Over the years I've developed a strong bias against synching because of possible confusion with latest versions etc. So a solution that involves synching I would consider an unattractive workaround at best. Do u not have a way to make GTD work without two apps and synching?

Comment

Omnifocus for sure

They keep adding useful features like siri reminders and forecast view which is extremely useful. Omnifocus is more robust and can handle complex projects, things is just too rudimentary and minamalistic for people who like technology.

Comment

Originally posted by Phidelt View Post
            They keep adding useful features like siri reminders and forecast view which is extremely useful. Omnifocus is more robust and can handle complex projects, things is just too rudimentary and minamalistic for people who like technology.
            I have observed that there is a lot more material on the web on setting-up and/or tweaking omnifocus than things, yet they seem to have roughly the same popularity on the Apple app stores. This suggests (at least) two hypotheses: that omnifocus appeals to people who like to spend time tweaking it, and it requires more work to set up than Things. I think these are both true, and the preferences expressed in the most recent forum poll on list managers do not contradict this- it's a biased sample. I have gone back and forth between them several times, and they are more like each other than either is like any other program. I don't think either one is notably better than the other for gtd.

Comment

I'm not an expert in GTD and associated tools. After reading the D Allen books and some research on the web I picked up things for iPhone and iPad. Using it for a few months the lack of structure in the project list (can become a long list to scroll through) made me look for something else. I then took OF (OS X, ipad, iphone) and saw a lot of use ins possibilities to tweak, structure projects and actions and the built in weekly review. After using that for some time I noticed I still used for logging actions, but most of the time fixing thes on a date, the complexities (probably my OF setup) made me look at my actions less frequently. So this week I returned to the simplicity of things. The daily review process brings more actions to my attention every morning. The tags can provide structure (still tweaking that). It just seems to be easier to use and gets used more and better for that.
              One disadvantage for both is that the two of them are keeping me locked in Apples garden (while the android grass seems to become greener)

Comment

Pocket Informant

Originally posted by apastuszak View Post
                Has anyone looked at Pocket Informant. I bought it for my iPad and am quite happy with. I just wish it handled ticklers.
                I've been using Pocket Informant for two years now. The pluses are that it does have some GTD functionality written into it. It also takes up one icon space on the iPhone/iPad, thus leaving more "real estate" to the screen. And it does sync pretty darned good with MS-Outlook if you get the add-on.

The downside is that I just can't seem to find anyone else who uses it. I know I'm missing features and benefits, but I don't know where to start.

The other downside is that (at least as far as I can tell) it doesn't interact well with Siri on the iPhone, so that means that the user interface is fumbly for me and my big fingers.

I don't have an iPad so I cannot respond to anything on that realm.

Comment

Working...
                X