Forum

• If you are new to these Forums, please take a moment to register using the fields above.
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Is there a place for new app for GTD? Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a place for new app for GTD?

Hi there,

There is quite a lot apps that can be used but do you thing there is a room for a brand new one?
    Do you think that apps that you've chosen once are perfect or good enough, or rather it's the best you could find but there is plenty things that should be added/modified to improve GTD model?
    Do you think that there is a room for new application like this, with maybe different approach, design, functionality that you couldn't find in existed ones so far? If you could name a few things that's in your opinion is missing that would be great.

I'm trying to figure out if it's worth to invest quality of time and resources to build something new from scratch. I use one app and I'm quite satisfied with how it works but see some areas that could be improved i.e. web interface and UX on both desktop and mobile.

Thanks in advance for your opinions on this.

I'm not interested in having a new app for gtd however I think there is always room for new stuff for other people
    For me it would not be worth it though

Comment

Thanks

Comment

Yes I think so. I haven't seen any app that is designed to meet everything GTD, and if there was one I would definitely change. I am using Pocket Informant, and I can sort of manage to sort by context and time (using tags), or context and priority, but I'd really like to be able to sort by context, time, energy and priority and be able to change the sort order too. I'd also like to have a project list that I can group by area of focus. And links to my checklists and natural planning model.

Comment

Reliable, easy to use (easy data input) and ubiquitous list manager and calendar.

Originally posted by Zielun View Post
          There is quite a lot apps that can be used but do you thing there is a room for a brand new one?
          Do you think that apps that you've chosen once are perfect or good enough, or rather it's the best you could find but there is plenty things that should be added/modified to improve GTD model?
          Do you think that there is a room for new application like this, with maybe different approach, design, functionality that you couldn't find in existed ones so far? If you could name a few things that's in your opinion is missing that would be great.
          Reliable, easy to use (easy data input) and ubiquitous list manager and calendar - that's all that you need for GTD.

Comment

Originally posted by Zielun View Post

I'm trying to figure out if it's worth to invest quality of time and resources to build something new from scratch. I use one app and I'm quite satisfied with how it works but see some areas that could be improved i.e. web interface and UX on both desktop and mobile.

Thanks in advance for your opinions on this.
            I think it's a crowded space now for mac-iPhone-iPad apps that are useful for GTD. Windows seems dominated by Outlook. In the web+ arena, I suppose the question is whether you could do something that is clearly superior to Toodledo. It has a not-so-pretty web ui, but is very robust. Maybe there's a market for a good Android app, but I don't know.

Comment

I totally agree that there are way too many of the productivity apps out there already that essentially all do the same thing but I would love to see an app for the latest podcasts, articles, newsletter, tips, etc from David co. I have a similar app for a site called Morning Coach and think that's useful. It would be great to get push notification reminders and tips.

Comment

If you want to do something unique, I would suggest you forget about the app idea and think instead in terms of cross-platform components that allow users to construct their GTD workflows from tools they are already familiar with.

Take a tiny example of collection.
                I write notes to self via email to a mailbox called Collector.
                When I see a cool website, I add it to a bookmark called Collector.
                I could now write some script that regularly gathers my bookmarked web sites and emails them to me.
                Now I have a single collector: my email inbox.
                So I can do clarification anytime I have an internet connection, using my favorite email software.
                Plus my data is in an open format (IMAP email) that I own and I can move my data to a different client or even a different email provider.
                But what about when I have collected a website but want to do clarification when I'm offline, like on a train commute?
                Well safari can save entire web pages to a .webarchive.
                And GoodReader can display those webarchives perfectly on an iPad.
                And Dropbox can sync and save those .webarchives to my iPad.
                But none of it just works. I have to set things up and do manual saves and transfers and caching, etc.

So the trick is to leverage what already exists and make it all flow together and allow the user to insert their tools of choice where possible.

Comment

Originally posted by pxt View Post
                  If you want to do something unique, I would suggest you forget about the app idea and think instead in terms of cross-platform components that allow users to construct their GTD workflows from tools they are already familiar with.
                  Sounds similar to Personal Brain, except you don't really need any other tools when you use it.

Comment

Originally posted by pxt View Post
                    But what about when I have collected a website but want to do clarification when I'm offline, like on a train commute?
                    Well safari can save entire web pages to a .webarchive.
                    And GoodReader can display those webarchives perfectly on an iPad.
                    And Dropbox can sync and save those .webarchives to my iPad.
                    But none of it just works. I have to set things up and do manual saves and transfers and caching, etc.
                    I use Evernote separately just for a single purpose, as an inbox. It's cross platform, you can forward emails, photos, monitor a folder, save webpages, articles and etc.

I don't keep anything in Evernote though, it's just an inbox. Everything useful is moved to Personal Brain eventually. I don't really need Evernote though, it just works faster and more convenient as an inbox

Comment

Every Note is Evernote

I use evernote to catpure all next actions, including capturing all misc reference material. Knowing whatever I capture on the go is accessible anywhere, I've found that besides an iphone calender and a strong project manager that's all I need.

Evernote is really good.

Comment

I have spent the last week comparing solutions, but even my frontrunners have major flaws.
                        Nozbe.com: Does not sync with iCal (big no-no), no ability to add notes to tasks, no sub-context, no desktop app (Supposed to be coming), too expensive);
                        GetItDone: not sure they've read GTD? No context(s) at all (has to be hacked by using tags or similar), no url links in notes (what's the point of a note if it cannot contain a link?), no desktop app;
                        toodledo: horrible UI - too much information that looks very cluttered, no desktop app (what do you do when you don't have access to the web???), no integration with Evernote.

It would be great to actually find an application that does things actually the GTD way

Comment

Subcontexts are not the part of the original GTD specification.

Originally posted by Anitteb View Post
                          It would be great to actually find an application that does things actually the GTD way
                          Could you please specify what does it mean?

For example subcontexts are not the part of the original GTD specification - this feature is just your own preference.

Comment

Originally posted by TesTeq View Post
                            Could you please specify what does it mean?

For example subcontexts are not the part of the original GTD specification - this feature is just your own preference.
                            Here us what "GTD way" means to me in the context of this discussion:

1. Basic Set-Up: Provide me with the core "infrastructure": inbox, actions (with someday option), projects, tickler and maybe altitude, ideally a tool that also makes my reviews cohesive and easier. For example: GetItDone does not have "contexts". The way tabs are used there is not very efficient - and does not replace that function.

2. Integration / Sync: In the digital age, it means that I am empowered to manage actionable items in an integrated way: that includes (for me) the ability to i.e. integrate with tools like Evernote, or Backpack,or similar, so I can easily find my materials (frequently materials for a project or action); it also should mean that I can have links in my notes (to i.e. the phone number of that person I am planning the call with, or the documents we need to go over in that conversation, etc.). It should also have the capabilities to sync with the most common digital calendar formats (i.e. iCal or Google Calendar).

3. Convergence: I know that mobile was not a major focus when GTD started: but for many of us, our mobile tools (phones and tablets) have become the remote controls for all of our daily activities.

To get things done today, I think, requires tools that live in all the dimensions of how we work (computer desktop, web and mobile) and must be able to seamlessly transition between mobile, desktop, web and (maybe) paper (in our case not so much: we're a green company, so most of our documents, means 90%+ of any reference and other materials etc. are digital and not on paper).

Hope that clarifies?

Comment

"toodledo: horrible UI - too much information that looks very cluttered, no desktop app (what do you do when you don't have access to the web???), no integration with Evernote. "

Yes, toodledo's UI isn't great. The project framework in particular is clunky. For me, it's good enough, and it accommodates my world of a Windows PC at work, and Apple devices at home. There's a nice ipad app that works off-line.

Comment

Working...
                              X