Forum

• If you are new to these Forums, please take a moment to register using the fields above.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Review of Stylish GTD Apps

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tommysqueak View Post
    Astrid the popular task list app for Android, gets reviewed for GTD http://tomphilip.me/index.php/gtd-app-review-astrid/
    I'm puzzled by your review. I thought Astrid featured tags? You seem to be saying that there's no way to adapt Astrid to the GTD methodology, which surprises me.

I'm asking because I'm considering the new iPhone app but only if I can map GTD onto it.

Comment

I've had Astrid for a while and I think it used to be called tags but it got renamed to lists. It's not that you can't do GTD with it, it's just you'd have to have to use lists for projects as well as contexts.

This was based on the Android version, so you'd assume they're the same but I can't vouch for it.

Comment

Might want to try Nirvana

I would add Nirvana 2 to your list (https://www.nirvanahq.com/). It is a web app (so therefore is cross platform), but has mobile web interface as well. I put a bookmark to it on my Android home screen and it looks pretty much like a native app other than the address bar at the top.

It does not fully fulfill your offline criteria, but might meet some people's needs. If you had the web site open when you had a connection and then lose the connection it will continue to operate. If you did not have it open before losing connection you won't be able to open the web page.

It is very stylish and has lots of nice features. It is what I am using, but I must say I found this thread looking to see if there was anything new in the GTD app space, since I am hoping to get an Android tablet next week in which case off-line will become more important to me.

Comment

Someone was very kind enough to let me use their Nirvana account, so I could try it out. I did love the interface but as you say offline support was only partially supported and it being in private beta means it wasn't review worthy (yet). Apparently there's going to be Android app,. Looking forward to that.

Tablet-wise, Due Today is great http://tomphilip.me/index.php/gtd-app-review-due-today/ and Conqu looks sweet too (review to come).

Comment

Just checked out conqu

Wow, very impressed with Conqu. I think once it gets recurring tasks (reportedly 10% done on the roadmap) I will be switching from Nirvana to Conqu, although still waiting to see what happens with WunderKit.

Comment

Iīm puzzled...

How long have you been doing GTD ??

You joined in the DA-forum world Sep 2011, been posting 15 posts...

How are you doing your NA:s, handling your projects, Area of Focus, etc. etc...

You are testing out what app would best for doing GTD... of course you could been GTD:ing without beeing a forum member, but - and please donīt missunderstand me - but I would listen to a more experienced forum member advice of what app he/she prefers... because this person had been doing GTD for a couple of years, and this person would have been on the bumpy road of productivity... trying out different systems...

but thatīs my few cents...

p.s. as you can see in the foot of this post, Iīm analog.. Filofax is a remarkable tool, looks very cool in black leather...
              Your puzzlement is probably brought on my associating time on these forums with years of GTD experience. I'm a late comer to this forum.

I've been practising GTD for 4 years. The criteria for reviews are clearly set out, so if you're way of working with GTD is aligned with them, then you might find them useful. Rather than just advice based.
              Last edited by tommysqueak; 11-16-2011, 02:36 PM. Reason: forgot to include who/what I'm replying to

Comment

Producteev for Mac

GTD App Review of Producteev for Mac is finally in! Simply lovely UX http://tomphilip.me/index.php/gtd-ap...ew-producteev/

This app puts a smile on my face when I use it

Comment

GTD App Review of Producteev for Mac is finally in! Simply lovely UX http://tomphilip.me/index.php/gtd-ap...ew-producteev/

This app puts a smile on my face when I use it
                  I read your review, and frankly I'm puzzled why you like producteev. It looks like it's intended as groupware ($20 a month for a workspace with unlimited users), and probably not very well-adapted for GTD (for example, you probably end up using labels for contexts and projects.) It's got a 3.5 average score reflecting a 7-4-3-3-3 distribution of 5-4-3-2-1 ratings in the Mac App Store; I usually won't consider something with that kind of profile. Perhaps you could say why you like it better than other alternatives?

Comment

In one word - UX. It's very good, better than the rest. Do I like it overall better than the others? I'm not sure yet. The downside is sharing contexts and projects as labels, not a big one. They all have pros and cons, I've yet to find the perfect one (for me). As for is it GTD compatable? Yes. You can use it for teams but in my tests I was using it just for myself and the team features did not intrude.

Comment

In one word - UX. It's very good, better than the rest.
                      Tried it on a whim, deleted it. You can't delete your own account, which is a pain. I don't think it's as good as Things or Omnifocus in ease of use, and not better than Toodledo. But whatever gets things done for you.

Comment

I see what you mean with Producteev

I agree the UX on Producteev is superb, but unfortunately the lack of projects as a first-class concept kind of makes it a non-starter. It also does not have a someday/maybe list although you could certainly build it yourself using a label and a smartlist. At this point I am tired of having to make the system work.

It is so frustrating that every feature that is needed for a GTD app is implemented wonderfully in at least one app, but no one combines all the best features into one.

Comment

Originally posted by mcogilvie View Post
                          Tried it on a whim, deleted it. You can't delete your own account, which is a pain. I don't think it's as good as Things or Omnifocus in ease of use, and not better than Toodledo. But whatever gets things done for you.
                          I really like the look of Things and Omnifocus. If I was just in an Apple ecosystem, Things looks like the app I'd use. Unfortunately I have an Android phone, so it's trying to find GTD apps that have Android apps.

Comment

Nozbe Review

Finally got round to the Nozbe review http://tomphilip.me/index.php/gtd-app-review-nozbe/

Got tired of them for a while but back on them. Conqu one to come (the last one) and then I'll round up.

Comment

You might want to check out Todo Online given that you've reviewed Todo for Mac.

Also just noticed that WebIS (Pocket Informant people) are beta testing an online system.

Comment

The Pocket Informant Web app looks decent and well priced too. I also see there's a Mac desktop app in the pipeline, which means it would fit my offline requirements.

Comment

Working...
                                X