Forum

• If you are new to these Forums, please take a moment to register using the fields above.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Struggling with GTD - Lack of Apps/Tools I like

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dear OP

Dear OP,

I took on credit card debt with limited means to pay for a MacBook pro 13-inch which I purchased last year. I am still paying for it. I bought it only because of OmniFocus. I am currently using an iPad I borrowed and use OF on it.

The systematic approach is tool agnostic. you can maintain it how you like whether in mindmaps or OmniFocus or things or PAPER!

Control in the system is clearly defined and perspectives will always involve self-talk.

Get the Mac to give yourself a kick-start, not a guilt trip. I am getting back on the bandwagon because of the "making it all work" book.

Comment

Originally posted by theilluminated View Post
      Simply play around the system, keep it fun and not be so serious where perfection is a need. Sometimes I take things too seriously, this seems to be one of them!
      Good thoughts!

Comment

The main thing

I said this earlier...either in this thread or a similar thread about the iPad and Omnifocus...it's not about the tool! Once you truly understand GTD, you can make ANYTHING work.

Many people new to GTD spend SO much time trying to find the "perfect" tool. Let me save you some time: It doesn't exist! Spend that time learning the methodology and THEN tinker around with the various tools.

The fastest and easiest way to get up and running on GTD is actually paper. No learning curve and portable. Once you really know what you're doing (it takes a while), then off you go to play with the various tools.

Comment

Originally posted by Barb View Post
          Once you truly understand GTD, you can make ANYTHING work.
          This is so KEY. Once you really know GTD and get Weekly Reviews into your tool kit picking the right list manager (for YOU) becomes a lot easier.

OmniFocus is my list manager of choice but it took some work to get there. I wouldn't necessarily recommend it for a GTD newbie.

Hope that helps a little.

Comment

I think what you should need is proper time allocation. If you say that you don't have the things you need, why don't you invest time to find for them? I'm not that techy, but what I can say is that if you needed to do those things listed, you should buy some time for preparing what you really need.
            Time allocation is not an issue for me right now. The projects I have ongoing are things I wish to have ongoing, few of them are needed in that sense. That is why I have decreased the number of projects I am simultaneously doing. Certain projects are interconnected to others, so a nice system to have everything in place is a must. Reducing my expectations, or realizing my current limitations, gave me the opportunity to see my needs (or wishes) differently.

Dear OP,

I took on credit card debt with limited means to pay for a MacBook pro 13-inch which I purchased last year. I am still paying for it. I bought it only because of OmniFocus. I am currently using an iPad I borrowed and use OF on it.

The systematic approach is tool agnostic. you can maintain it how you like whether in mindmaps or OmniFocus or things or PAPER!

Control in the system is clearly defined and perspectives will always involve self-talk.

Get the Mac to give yourself a kick-start, not a guilt trip. I am getting back on the bandwagon because of the "making it all work"
            I decided to get the Macbook Air early next year before my graphics study kicks in. Buying it earlier is not an option, but I will use OmniFocus when I get it. Meanwhile I am doing what I can to reduce clutter in my current system. For instance I have several email accounts, but now I have fully migrated over to iCloud where I got a new account. The old email will either be migrated, deleted or printed for reference. Same goes with contacts and everything else.

Adding or creating a personal system (GTD) will always require some effort to maintain. If clutter is already reduced in other areas of your life (several email accounts etc) the process will be more streamlined and there will be less to fight about. Right now I have accounts on many other systems (Evernote for example) and I will delete all my accounts, leaving only what I need.

I said this earlier...either in this thread or a similar thread about the iPad and Omnifocus...it's not about the tool! Once you truly understand GTD, you can make ANYTHING work.

Many people new to GTD spend SO much time trying to find the "perfect" tool. Let me save you some time: It doesn't exist! Spend that time learning the methodology and THEN tinker around with the various tools.

The fastest and easiest way to get up and running on GTD is actually paper. No learning curve and portable. Once you really know what you're doing (it takes a while), then off you go to play with the various tools.
            Finding the perfect tool is easy when you have a list of criterias, and having spent most of my time in front of a computer I easily get the feeling whether or not I like something. I admit that I have tried often to find the perfect tool and I fell into that trap more than once, only to realize that I had not created a list over specific criterias. Sometimes the issue is the lack of criterias, sometimes it could be the lack of being honest with yourself, thinking that you need things you don't need.

Doing "light-weight" GTD with a few big projects at the time, having an inbox with paper (and email), lists that I can either expand into small projects with Next Actions lists is working pretty good for me right now. Being a long time computer user I fell into the trap of "keeping things because you can", now I delete things because I can. If it is not important, delete or throw it away.

Smaller projects (X-mas shopping) are pretty much created where I fill in the NA-list pretty fast, detailing everything as I go. Going through the natural planning model is not needed for that, only the big projects.

I've been practicing GTD for over six months now, and my own personal view is that people should start out completely on paper. Of course people have to handle emails etc, but until they get used to the methodology they probably will fall into the "perfect tool trap". A beginner never really realize what he/she needs, over-or underestimating it completely, only to chase tool after tool.

Most important of all, failure never happens until you quit.

Comment

Concern towards your approach towards GTD (not your approach when using GTD)

I decided to get the Macbook Air early next year before my graphics study kicks in. Buying it earlier is not an option, but I will use OmniFocus when I get it. Meanwhile I am doing what I can to reduce clutter in my current system. For instance I have several email accounts, but now I have fully migrated over to iCloud where I got a new account. The old email will either be migrated, deleted or printed for reference. Same goes with contacts and everything else.
              My concern is regarding what is highlighted in bold. Your approach *may* be one of clearing up the old stuff to start on GTD - that is an issue because GTD can be used to clear up the old stuff.

And, the migration and clearing up old emails or databases is a project rather than a necessity to get out of the way "to start gtd".

Adding or creating a personal system (GTD) will always require some effort to maintain. If clutter is already reduced in other areas of your life (several email accounts etc) the process will be more streamlined and there will be less to fight about. Right now I have accounts on many other systems (Evernote for example) and I will delete all my accounts, leaving only what I need.
              That's what scares me right there. Use the control dimension of GTD to answer questions such as, is it actionable, does it need to be incubated, or is it just reference material nice to have?"

+ there's also the option of not having all your data in one place and losing precious data from years and years and investing into one platform only. Personally, I get bored with the same software over and over again so it is nice to have different softwares/places to go online for different things. As much evernote wants to be my digital storage place, my file folders in "documents" are going to be one step ahead of evernote.

Comment

My concern is regarding what is highlighted in bold. Your approach *may* be one of clearing up the old stuff to start on GTD - that is an issue because GTD can be used to clear up the old stuff.

And, the migration and clearing up old emails or databases is a project rather than a necessity to get out of the way "to start gtd".
                I agree. GTD is a wonderful way to plan that sort of thing, but I might not have emphasized enough that I am doing a "light-weight" GTD approach until I get my new system. I'm not throwing the baby with the bathwater, but I understand your concern.

That's what scares me right there. Use the control dimension of GTD to answer questions such as, is it actionable, does it need to be incubated, or is it just reference material nice to have?"

+ there's also the option of not having all your data in one place and losing precious data from years and years and investing into one platform only. Personally, I get bored with the same software over and over again so it is nice to have different softwares/places to go online for different things. As much evernote wants to be my digital storage place, my file folders in "documents" are going to be one step ahead of evernote.
                I'm already pretty good at throwing things away in general, except for things at my computer because it does not take any physical space. Generally reducing my tolerance level for that has made my life easier.

Many people are sceptical about cloud hosting, and I agree especially concerning with free solutions. However this is an issue no matter if you host things yourself or not. Apple has a better backup plan than I do and more experience. Things that are extremely important will be backed up in more than one place, but few things are extremely important to me in that way.

I love sticking with programs I know, knowing the ins and outs of it. Before there was a lust to try out new things whereas now it is a hassle, I got other things I'd rather spend my time on.

After my "light-weight" GTD system I want to have a fully synchronized system, which is why I am doing what I am. Full synchronization is extremely annoying the more applications and vendors you get software or hosting from. The light weight approach already gives me that synchronization actually (except physical folders that I don't bring everywhere). The issue is workload whereas the current system won't suffice if I try too many projects at once.

Comment

Use Outlook for work e-mail only.

Have an iPad next to your PC. Add an Apple wireless keyboard for speed and ease.

Get Omnifocus for your iPad and iPhone, and have them Synch in the clouds. Don't put sensitive numbers or information in OF or in e-mail messages.

See current thread for iPad GTD use.

rdgeorge

Comment

Working...
                  X