Forum

  • If you are new to these Forums, please take a moment to register using the fields above.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need a Windows/Android "auto next action" solution

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Need a Windows/Android "auto next action" solution

    Hi!

    I have a particular problem. I have several dozen linear projects that have several tasks and once I manually set the list in priority order, I simply have to process the "next action" for each project.

    Currently I use Toodledo, and Due Today on Android.

    Problem is, because of the number of projects (nature of my work) I am starting to spend more time going back to my system to manually select the "next action" rather than just burning through a list of things to do. I feel like I am doing a review twice a day and it is becoming cumbersome.

    After chatting to a few GTD guru buddies (who are Mac heads and use Omnifocus) I need a solution that:

    Can do Windows and Android
    Is hopefully able to sync to the cloud
    AUTOMATICALLY PROMOTES NEXT TASK IN MY PROJECT TO THE NEXT ACTION STATUS.

    I have been searching for so long for a software solution and can't seem to find something that does all three.

    Any suggestions would be oh so welcome!

  • #2
    Here's what will work

    A simple method: in the notes field entitled something appropriate, list all your steps.
    For an item called "Conquer Albania" which is part of the project "Subjugate Europe", list

    - raise army
    - defeat Albanian army
    - arrange victory parade

    As you do the steps, change - to +. If you prefer more visibility, make the item read

    Raise army > Conquer Albania

    Change the part before the ">" as needed.
    I know, you wanted it to be automatic. But this will work.

    Comment


    • #3
      MyLifeOrganized

      MyLifeOrganized runs on Windows and Android, has templates to setup GTD, Franklin Covey, DoItTomorrow and even the Fly-Lady's Control Journal profiles.

      The GTD templates, there are two, are very complete, haven't played with the other templates yet.

      Started as a Windows program, so very mature on that side. The Android app is still in Beta and is free for now. No bugs that I've found, just not all the editing features for the tasks that are available in the PC version.

      They have MLO apps for iOS, Blackberry and PocketPC as well.

      It has a couple of sync options as well. One is cloud.

      So far it has been a stellar app, I plan to purchase the PC version shortly and the Android app when it comes out of beta.

      http://www.mylifeorganized.net/index.htm

      Comment


      • #4
        I am too lazy to write it all down!

        Originally posted by stephensaid View Post
        I have a particular problem. I have several dozen linear projects that have several tasks and once I manually set the list in priority order, I simply have to process the "next action" for each project.
        There are only few projects in my life that really require detailed planing (listing of all the actions).

        For most projects next Next Action is obvious - I am too lazy to write it all down!

        Comment


        • #5
          Mlo

          Hey David, In a fit of research powered frustration often making the post, I discovered MLO. It is as you say quite excellent.

          I am a little overwhelmed by the amount of customisation yet am really enjoying it.

          I was thinking about trying to incorporate some of the templates yet I am a little nervous. I started with a plain installation and have incorporated my over 300 to do items and 30 odd projects. It works a treat.

          Are you aware of the consequences of incorporating a template after you have set up your system?

          Thanks heaps for taking the time to respond with such detail. Much appreciated.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by stephensaid View Post
            Hi!

            I have a particular problem. I have several dozen linear projects that have several tasks and once I manually set the list in priority order, I simply have to process the "next action" for each project.

            Currently I use Toodledo, and Due Today on Android.

            Problem is, because of the number of projects (nature of my work) I am starting to spend more time going back to my system to manually select the "next action" rather than just burning through a list of things to do. I feel like I am doing a review twice a day and it is becoming cumbersome.

            After chatting to a few GTD guru buddies (who are Mac heads and use Omnifocus) I need a solution that:

            Can do Windows and Android
            Is hopefully able to sync to the cloud
            AUTOMATICALLY PROMOTES NEXT TASK IN MY PROJECT TO THE NEXT ACTION STATUS.

            I have been searching for so long for a software solution and can't seem to find something that does all three.

            Any suggestions would be oh so welcome!
            I think DGT GTD will help you, together with Toodledo(pro)
            It can work with Tasks, Projects, sub tasks, and just simple Checklists types, so you can keep going.

            Since the product is still Alpha it is under construction, but you can really use it already, it'has more functions than other apps that are finished. And more importantly you can help the developer create a tool to your liking.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by TesTeq View Post
              There are only few projects in my life that really require detailed planing (listing of all the actions).

              For most projects next Next Action is obvious - I am too lazy to write it all down!
              And in my life one Next Action changes the whole plan so I don't plan too much in advance as well. Just Next Actions.

              Comment


              • #8
                most of my plans don't change

                Originally posted by Solyanov2011 View Post
                And in my life one Next Action changes the whole plan so I don't plan too much in advance as well. Just Next Actions.
                I think that can vary a lot with the person and the work. If I spend time planning a project really well according to the natural planning model I can pretty much know that 85-90% of them will run true to plan, even when the plan takes years or decades to get to completion. For me it's the projects I don't think need any planning that change. Once I stop and actually run the planning model they are usually pretty stable from then on.

                Comment


                • #9
                  MLO, what were you thinking?

                  My world just fell apart!

                  I was in a meeting and flipped open my phone only to discover that the MLO Android client (on phone and tablet, it's the same client) is not able to give you a list of tasks by context.

                  I sat across from my colleague hanging my head in shame when I told him there were 4 things I needed to talk to him about (the app shows the entry "@Agenda-Chris (4)) but there was no way I could actually list what they were!

                  SO frustrating!

                  Anyone know of an Android app that can:
                  Sort by context?
                  • Tags AND contexts?
                  • Drag and drop sort?
                  • Auto next action?
                  • Windows client (or fast responsive equivalent)?
                  • Cloud sync?

                  PLEASE, no comments about not needing auto next action. I have had that discussion. I run multiple projects and am really dependent on the function. Otherwise I will spend too much time fiddling with setting up my next action, rather than letting software do it for me.

                  Thanks in advance.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by stephensaid View Post
                    Anyone know of an Android app that can:
                    Sort by context?
                    • Tags AND contexts?
                    • Drag and drop sort?
                    • Auto next action?
                    • Windows client (or fast responsive equivalent)?
                    • Cloud sync?

                    PLEASE, no comments about not needing auto next action. I have had that discussion. I run multiple projects and am really dependent on the function. Otherwise I will spend too much time fiddling with setting up my next action, rather than letting software do it for me.
                    I'm not 100% sure but I think NirvanaHQ does auto next actions in Projects. It's a web-based system but is light years ahead of Toodledo because it's been designed specifically for GTD. Projects can be set to sequential or parallel, active/inactive.

                    They have no native mobile client yet but are about to release their first iOS version (it's been in beta for at least a few months). They say that Android will follow soon after but in any case, they have a very workable mobile web version that I've tried on iOS and it's pretty good.

                    www.nirvanahq.com

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Thanks heaps PeterW. I have already got an account with NirvanaHQ and am awaiting the release of their Android client. Here's hoping.

                      If they only knew that I would pay for it like yesterday!



                      Originally posted by PeterW View Post
                      I'm not 100% sure but I think NirvanaHQ does auto next actions in Projects. It's a web-based system but is light years ahead of Toodledo because it's been designed specifically for GTD. Projects can be set to sequential or parallel, active/inactive.

                      They have no native mobile client yet but are about to release their first iOS version (it's been in beta for at least a few months). They say that Android will follow soon after but in any case, they have a very workable mobile web version that I've tried on iOS and it's pretty good.

                      www.nirvanahq.com

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        No cigar...

                        Originally posted by AlexB View Post
                        I think DGT GTD will help you, together with Toodledo(pro)
                        It can work with Tasks, Projects, sub tasks, and just simple Checklists types, so you can keep going.

                        Since the product is still Alpha it is under construction, but you can really use it already, it'has more functions than other apps that are finished. And more importantly you can help the developer create a tool to your liking.
                        Just checked. Enourmous functionality but no auto next action. You have to fiddle with setting status. Pretty cumbersome in that regard.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by stephensaid View Post
                          Hi!

                          I have a particular problem. I have several dozen linear projects that have several tasks and once I manually set the list in priority order, I simply have to process the "next action" for each project.

                          Currently I use Toodledo, and Due Today on Android.

                          Problem is, because of the number of projects (nature of my work) I am starting to spend more time going back to my system to manually select the "next action" rather than just burning through a list of things to do. I feel like I am doing a review twice a day and it is becoming cumbersome.

                          After chatting to a few GTD guru buddies (who are Mac heads and use Omnifocus) I need a solution that:

                          Can do Windows and Android
                          Is hopefully able to sync to the cloud
                          AUTOMATICALLY PROMOTES NEXT TASK IN MY PROJECT TO THE NEXT ACTION STATUS.

                          I have been searching for so long for a software solution and can't seem to find something that does all three.

                          Any suggestions would be oh so welcome!
                          Any luck yet? I use MLO on Windows and Android (I might be misunderstanding your usecase, but I think contexts works on Android now), but it's a bit cumbersome. Curious to know if anything else works this way.

                          BTW, does OmniFocus do this? I've been thinking of finally biting the bullet and getting a Mac (for various reasons) and if so I'd have to start this whole search over again. I know Life Balance is what MLO was originally modeled on, but I'm not sure whether that will run on newer versions of OSX.

                          A Linux option would be interesting as well.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X