Forum

• If you are new to these Forums, please take a moment to register using the fields above.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Take the storage solution poll please!

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Take the storage solution poll please!

We'd love to know what mobile client application you predominantly use to store and synchronize files across devices. Please take the quick poll!
    DropBox
    36.08%
    Box
    2.06%
    SugarSync
    0.00%
    SkyDrive
    2.58%
    iCloud
    9.28%
    Google Drive
    14.95%
    Evernote
    29.90%
    Other (please share as a reply post)
    5.15%

Personal Server

WiFi sync using tools built into my devices or USB sync again using tools in my devices all contained on servers and machines I own and control

No cloud based sync at all. Once I'm away from my base networks and systems I do not sync again until I return.

Re-reading the poll the mobile app that stores files is DEVONThink for most stuff & GoodReader for PDFs.

I still don't have a good solution for LibreOffice files so I convert to PDF to carry them on my devices.
    Last edited by Oogiem; 10-07-2012, 07:55 AM. Reason: add file storage SW

Comment

The problem with Dropbox for me was that it didn't even allow me to buy enough storage space.

I wanted to be able to sync my entire reference files so that I could (1) use it as back up, and (2) reliably access any files I needed.

Google Drive offers much higher capacity (i was using 200GB, and recently upgraded to 400GB).

That said, Google Drive's features aren't nearly as nice as Dropbox - dropbox is just incredibly slick. I love the features like simply right clicking on a file on your desktop and getting a public link to it. To do the same sort of thing in Google Drive takes about 5-10 clicks and about 2-3 minutes. Definitely not 'fast and fun'!

Comment

Originally posted by nickharrigan View Post
        The problem with Dropbox for me was that it didn't even allow me to buy enough storage space.
        You know you can buy 500gb now? Or even 1000gb+ if you go for the teams option.

Comment

Thanks Victoria. Yes I know Dropbox has upgraded, but the timing wasn't good for me: I was already looking for something bigger when Google Drive came along, and if my memory serves me correctly, it took Dropbox about 3 months to catch up (allow more storage). By then I had migrated my system to Google Drive, and honestly I don't regret it. It's not perfect, but it is adequate. Cheers, Nick

Comment

File sync

Hi all

I'm using Livedrive here in the UK

Martin

Comment

I use Google Drive

Comment

Originally posted by nickharrigan View Post

I wanted to be able to sync my entire reference files so that I could (1) use it as back up, and (2) reliably access any files I needed.

Google Drive offers much higher capacity (i was using 200GB, and recently upgraded to 400GB).

That said, Google Drive's features aren't nearly as nice as Dropbox - dropbox is just incredibly slick. I love the features like simply right clicking on a file on your desktop and getting a public link to it. To do the same sort of thing in Google Drive takes about 5-10 clicks and about 2-3 minutes. Definitely not 'fast and fun'!
                That's a lot of files, Unless you need access to all of them all of the time I recommend a 2 tier system, one on Dropbox for the current working files and then unlimited storage and up to 10 computer backups on Crashplan.

Other systems are available of course.

It does not have the simplicity of a single system, but if you can distinguish between what's working and what's backup it's very effective.

Comment

None - Too many security risks

Originally posted by kelstarrising View Post
                  We'd love to know what mobile client application you predominantly use to store and synchronize files across devices. Please take the quick poll!
                  My company has a policy to have nothing in 'the cloud' because the security risks are too great.
                  Some of my clients have even more stringent security requirements so it's best not use anything like that.
                  Last edited by Peter.Robinson; 02-19-2013, 11:10 PM. Reason: typo in the title

Comment

Evernote Sync

Personnaly I sync my files in Evernote this way
                    http://www.ehow.com/how_8318107_sync...-evernote.html

Not many people know this feature exists...

Comment

I am currently shifting between DropBox and Google Drive. Google Drive can be sychronized by a group but always needs internet connection.

Comment

OneNote

I use MS OneNote to store all of my GTD reference and project files, along with the associated lists and such. I can use the OneNote app on my Windows phone and it's all hooked to the SkyDrive. So, I can add, delete, modify anywhere and everywhere. The mobile version is, as expected, a little more limited than the full PC version, but it's enough to manage my GTD system well.

Comment

I use Micrsoft One-Note.....

........and sync it to the cloud wth Microsoft Skydrive!! Works for me!! : )

Comment

I live and breath by Evernote. I just recently migrated from Dropbox to Drive.

Comment

Ubuntu One

I am starting to use Ubuntu One more now. Of all the file sync services, Dropbox is the most expensive.

Comment

Working...
                              X