Forum

• If you are new to these Forums, please take a moment to register using the fields above.
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Omnifocus vs Apple Reminders Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jonagold View Post
    This seems to fit GTD very well it's as though they had it in mind when they built iOS 6. It's even better with iCloud as it syncs between devices.

However, I can't get Siri to talk through my list as the previous contributor did, any ideas?
    If I ask Siri "What's on my errands list?" She replies with the number of items and shows the list. To get her to speak the list, I believe you have to turn on assistive technologies. Try searching that Internet thing to find out.

Comment

You converted me!

I swore I'd never leave OmniFocus...but thanks to your post I'm a changed man. Reminders truly does force you to remove the friction you can create with OmniFocus. And Siri reading me my projects list in the car every morning is way cool. Thanks for the push!

Comment

That loud noise you just heard

Yes that one, that would be the sound of my hand hitting my forehead.

Since the downfall of palm and the rise of the iphone, I have been waiting for Apple to understand even the basics of task list to give us something usable. Interestingly I had given up and stopped paying any attention to what Apple had done as of late instead focusing on Omni focus, things, and you name it every other source of to do application available for the Mac the iPhone the iPad nothing worked to my satisfaction. Now you going post this I read it and realize the obvious . 48 hours later I am completely converted to the task list and everything is just flowing smoothly like it did back in the days of the palm. add Siri on top of that and what a boon. Thank you so much for posting this.

Now I get back to getting things done
        Last edited by ratz; 03-03-2013, 05:34 AM.

Comment

It took some experimenting, but I got Siri to read my Errands list by specifically saying, "Read my Errands List." I did not change anything in Accessibility for it to work.

Also, here's a really useful 4 minute video I found walking through more iPhone features. I learned a few things from this that I didn't know were possible (like creating a home button on the touch screen.) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_aADB8k5nA

We expect to have our GTD & iPhone available in the DAC Store by this Friday. It focuses solely on the built-in applications (no 3rd party) to take advantage of what comes native to the iPhone. Hope you all find it useful!

Kelly

Comment

Yahoo!!!!

Originally posted by kelstarrising View Post
            It took some experimenting, but I got Siri to read my Errands list by specifically saying, "Read my Errands List." I did not change anything in Accessibility for it to work.

Also, here's a really useful 4 minute video I found walking through more iPhone features. I learned a few things from this that I didn't know were possible (like creating a home button on the touch screen.) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_aADB8k5nA

We expect to have our GTD & iPhone available in the DAC Store by this Friday. It focuses solely on the built-in applications (no 3rd party) to take advantage of what comes native to the iPhone. Hope you all find it useful!

Kelly
            Kelly! GREAT!! I have dedicated way to much time to searching systems!! I used the blackberry system FOR YEARS with no problems. I think I have too many choices now! I need this bad!!! Thank you!!!! I follow GTD VERY VERY VERY STRICTLY. VERY. Everything on the market forces adaptation or comprimise, or makes features available that fly in the very face of GTD! THIS IS BIG for me!

Comment

Can't wait!

Originally posted by kelstarrising View Post
              We expect to have our GTD & iPhone available in the DAC Store by this Friday. It focuses solely on the built-in applications (no 3rd party) to take advantage of what comes native to the iPhone.
              Excited to get my hands on this!

Comment

Outlook sync with Reminders

Originally posted by paulmcdonald View Post
                Is anyone syncing Outlook tasks with the reminder app on iPhone?
                Paul, I was ... until I inadvertently exported all of my Outlook tasks into OmniFocus while trying out the "reminders capture" in the IPad version. I recovered them all in the deleted items folder of Outlook, fortunately, but now have turned off the sync of Outlook to "reminders" and only allow Outlook to sync with my iPhone/iPad using IMExchange2, because I like how it preserves the categories from Outlook.

Comment

A little automation if using Reminders app

After switching to the reminders app last week it occurred to me that I could save myself some time when process email..

If you are a GTDer and you use Apple Mail instead of Outlook or Entourage. Then it's almost a must that you use the Mail-Act-On software. It's a simple piece of dirt cheap software that allows you to use hotkeys to trigger "mail rules" against the currently selected message(s). Essential for rapid filing, forward+filing, forwarding+deleted, etc. One extra feature it has is that is can trigger an AppleScript against a message.

So here's an applescript that you can place into "~/Library/Application Scripts/com.apple.mail" that allows you to create a reminder in your "Inbox" list that has a link back to the orginal message. I use a rule that moves the message to an email folder called "Reference" and then creates an Action in Inbox for that message and has a link back to in Mail. With Mail-Act-On automating all this; I simply highlight the message and hit "Ctrl-A" and poof the message is filed and a new action is in my reminders inbox waiting to be "actionafied". This script would need to be modified if not triggered by Mail-Act-On. The whole process runs in under 1 sec.

I'm not affiliated with MAO's creator you can google them easy enough.

I will be making a similar solution for Safari web pages soon and will post that.

Code:
                  using terms from application "Mail"
                  	# Set the name of the list where to create the reminder
                  	set InboxName to "Inbox"

# Set the color of the message (used to mark the message after being linked to Reminders)
                  	set MessageColor to green

# set the default reminder due date
                  	set ReminderDueDate to 0

# set the default remind me date
                  	set ReminderReminderMeDate to 0

# set the prefix to be prepended to the reminders' name
                  	set ReminderPrefix to ""

# Find the selected mail message
                  	set selectedMessages to selection
                  	if (count of selectedMessages) is greater than 0 then

set theMessage to item 1 of selectedMessages

# Get the message properties
                  		set theSubject to my trimText(subject of theMessage)
                  		set theSender to sender of theMessage
                  		set theMessageId to my replaceText("%", "%25", message id of theMessage)
                  		set theTags to "Mail"

# if we have a message with no ID then we give up, since we can't create a link
                  		# based on an empty id
                  		if theMessageId is "" then
                  			display dialog "Can't link this message to Reminders"
                  			return
                  		end if

# build the reminder properties
                  		set message_url to "message:%3C" & theMessageId & "%3E"
                  		set todo_name to my replaceText(return, "", ReminderPrefix & theSubject & "(" & theSender & ")")

tell application "System Events" to set frontmost of process "Reminders" to true

tell application "Reminders"

# Search for the proper list where to create the reminder
                  			repeat with listIndex from 0 to (count of list)

set oneList to list listIndex
                  				set listId to id of oneList

if (name of oneList) is equal to InboxName then

# create the reminder based on the selected mail
                  					# set mailReminder to make new reminder with properties {name:todo_name, body:message_url, container:oneList, due date:((current date) + (ReminderDueDate * days))}
                  					set mailReminder to make new reminder with properties {name:todo_name, body:message_url, container:oneList}

oneList show
                  				end if

end repeat

end tell

# finally mark the message
                  		set the background color of theMessage to MessageColor

end if
                  end using terms from

# Trims the unnecessary whitespace from someText
                  on trimText(someText)
                  	set theseCharacters to {" ", tab, ASCII character 10, ASCII character 13, ASCII character 0}

repeat until first character of someText is not in theseCharacters
                  		set someText to text 2 thru -1 of someText
                  	end repeat

repeat until last character of someText is not in theseCharacters
                  		set someText to text 1 thru -2 of someText
                  	end repeat

return someText
                  end trimText

on replaceText(find, replace, subject)
                  	set previousDelimiters to text item delimiters of AppleScript
                  	set text item delimiters of AppleScript to find
                  	set subject to text items of subject

set text item delimiters of AppleScript to replace
                  	set subject to "" & subject
                  	set text item delimiters of AppleScript to previousDelimiters

return subject
                  end replaceText

Comment

Originally posted by ratz View Post
                    After switching to the reminders app last week it occurred to me that I could save myself some time when process email..
                    You can also drag-and-drop the email onto Reminders.

-- Robert.

Comment

Originally posted by robertedwards View Post
                      You can also drag-and-drop the email onto Reminders.

-- Robert.
                      Definitely true, that was worth mentioning. However I found that was not working well for me. I always seem to grab the entire message thread and then it does not work. Also I still have to return the mail program and file the message. I am too lazy for that I want the computer to do it fast and save me the work.

Comment

Safari to Action Item Script

Ok here's the Safari script. You will either need to know how to turn on scripting; or use something like the free FastScripts from red sweater software; to trigger it. I use FastScript and assign it to "Control+Shift+A"

This version will ask you if it is and action or a project. You can configure it to have actions go directly to your inbox; or prompt you for which action list to put it on.

-Enjoy

Code:
                        tell application "Safari"
                        	set SafariURL to URL of document 1
                        	# Set the name of the list where to create the action reminder
                        	set InboxName to "_Inbox"

# Set the name of the list where to create project reminders
                        	set ProjectListName to "Projects"

# Turn on or off the prompting for which Action List
                        	set PlaceActionsInInbox to false

# Set the names of your Actions Lists
                        	set AvailableLists to {"_Inbox", "@Agendas", "@Afterhours", "@Calls", "@Computer", "@Desk", "@Errands", "@Home", "@WaitingFor"}

set ReminderDueDate to 0

# set the default remind me date
                        	set ReminderReminderMeDate to 0

set ReminderPrefix to ""

# Get the Action statement or Project description from user
                        	set prompt1 to display dialog "Enter Action Statement or Project Description" default answer "" buttons {"Action", "Project", "Cancel"} default button "Action"
                        	set theSubject to the text returned of prompt1
                        	if theSubject is not "" then set theSubject to my trimText(the text returned of prompt1)
                        	set theList to the button returned of prompt1

#react to button pushed
                        	if theList is equal to "Project" then
                        		set targetList to ProjectListName
                        	else if theList is equal to "Action" then
                        		#Put in Inbox or ask for Action List based on mode
                        		if PlaceActionsInInbox then
                        			set targetList to InboxName
                        		else
                        			set myChoice to (choose from list AvailableLists with title "Action Lists" with prompt "Put in List")
                        			set targetList to item 1 of myChoice
                        		end if
                        	else
                        		set targetList to "Cancel"
                        	end if

if theList is equal to "Cancel" or theSubject is "" then end run

set todo_name to my replaceText(return, "", ReminderPrefix & theSubject)

tell application "System Events" to set frontmost of process "Reminders" to true

if (name of oneList) is equal to targetList then

# create the reminder based on the URL
                        				if ReminderReminderMeDate is equal to 0 then
                        					set mailReminder to make new reminder with properties {name:todo_name, body:SafariURL, container:oneList}
                        				else
                        					set mailReminder to make new reminder with properties {name:todo_name, body:SafariURL, container:oneList, due date:((current date) + (ReminderDueDate * days))}
                        				end if

oneList show
                        			end if

end repeat

end tell
                        end tell

on trimText(someText)
                        	set theseCharacters to {" ", tab, ASCII character 10, ASCII character 13, ASCII character 0}

end repeat

end repeat

return someText
                        end trimText

return subject
                        end replaceText

Comment

reliability bug fix to previous contribution.

Originally posted by ratz View Post
                          So here's an applescript that you can place into "~/Library/Application Scripts/com.apple.mail"
                          Ok not to turn this into "scripts today" but there was a conflict in Mail-ActOn that messes with the reliability of that script if you try to auto file the message. so here's the "improved one" This one assume you know a little bit more about your mail server. In This version the script does the filing, which is less flexible but more reliable.

To use this version You will need to program the line Set FileBox to point at your reference email folder in your mail account. Notice in the sample code that it's set for a Subfolder of Inbox as "Inbox/@Reference" if yours is in the root folder (common if not on an exchange server) you might just have "Reference" as the folder name. Also change NameOfMailMailAccountInMailAppDisplay to be the DESCRIPTION you gave your mail account in your settings.

The rest of the stuff to configure should be obvious.

This script is for mail act on. If you want to use it with FastScripts instead to save some funds, then change the first line of the code to be:
                          Code:
                          tell application "Mail"
                          and the line that says "end using terms from" to be
                          Code:
                          end tell
                          it's about 1/5 of the way from the end of the code.

Code:
                          using terms from application "Mail"
                          	# Set the name of the list where to create the reminder
                          	set InboxName to "_Inbox"

# Set the color of the message (used to mark the message after being linked to Reminders)
                          	set MessageColor to green

# Set the Folder to file the Message in after creating action
                          	set Filebox to mailbox "Inbox/@Reference" of account "NameOfMailMailAccountInMailAppDisplay"

# Set the name of the list where to create project reminders
                          	set ProjectListName to "Projects"

# Turn on or off the prompting for which Action List
                          	set PlaceActionsInInbox to false

# Set the names of your Actions Lists in the Reminders App
                          	set AvailableLists to {"_Inbox", "@Agendas", "@Afterhours", "@Calls", "@Computer", "@Desk", "@Errands", "@Home", "@WaitingFor", "SomeDay/Maybe"}

set ReminderDueDate to 0

# Turn Reminder on or off
                          	set RemindMeOn to 0

set ReminderPrefix to ""

#### END of Configuration ####

# Find the selected mail message
                          	set selectedMessages to selection

if (count of selectedMessages) is greater than 0 then

set theMessage to item 1 of selectedMessages

# Get the message properties
                          		set theSubject to my trimText(subject of theMessage)
                          		set theSender to sender of theMessage
                          		set theMessageId to my replaceText("%", "%25", message id of theMessage)
                          		set theTags to "Mail"

# if we have a message with no ID then we give up, since we can't create a link
                          		# based on an empty id
                          		if theMessageId is "" then
                          			display dialog "Can't link this message to Reminders"
                          			return
                          		end if

# build the reminder properties
                          		set message_url to "message:%3C" & theMessageId & "%3E"
                          		set suggestedSubject to my replaceText(return, "", ReminderPrefix & theSubject & "(" & theSender & ")")

display dialog suggestedSubject
                          		# Get the Action statement or Project description from user
                          		set prompt1 to display dialog "Enter Action Statement or Project Description" default answer suggestedSubject buttons {"Action", "Project", "Cancel"} default button "Action"
                          		set finalSubject to the text returned of prompt1
                          		if finalSubject is not "" then set todo_name to my trimText(the text returned of prompt1)
                          		set theList to the button returned of prompt1

#react to button pushed
                          		if theList is equal to "Project" then
                          			set targetList to ProjectListName
                          		else if theList is equal to "Action" then
                          			#Put in Inbox or ask for Action List based on mode
                          			if PlaceActionsInInbox then
                          				set targetList to InboxName
                          			else
                          				set myChoice to (choose from list AvailableLists with title "Action Lists" with prompt "Put in List")
                          				set targetList to item 1 of myChoice
                          			end if
                          		else
                          			set targetList to "Cancel"
                          		end if

if theList is equal to "Cancel" or finalSubject is "" then end run

if (name of oneList) is equal to targetList then

# create the reminder based on the selected mail
                          					if RemindMeOn is equal to 0 then
                          						set mailReminder to make new reminder with properties {name:todo_name, body:message_url, container:oneList}
                          					else
                          						set mailReminder to make new reminder with properties {name:todo_name, body:message_url, container:oneList, due date:((current date) + (ReminderDueDate * days))}

end if

oneList show
                          				end if

end repeat

end tell

# finally mark the message
                          		set the background color of theMessage to MessageColor
                          		move theMessage to Filebox

end if
                          end using terms from

on trimText(someText)

end repeat

end repeat

return someText
                          end trimText

return subject
                          end replaceText
                          Last edited by ratz; 03-05-2013, 11:20 AM. Reason: Removed bogus line of code the was loosing custom subject user entnered. 3/5/2013

Comment

Finalized Version

Ok so after having reasonable success with the scripts. I went back and made them much more universal and easier for non programmers to work with.

Attached is a zip file called "Public Scripts.zip" free for the taking. It contains the final versions of the script. Configure your inbox list name, project list name and icloud account name or mail server account name; and your off and running. The scripts will stay updated as you add and remove action lists.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by ratz; 03-11-2013, 09:00 PM. Reason: Update Scripts zip file to newest version

Comment

Of course, you can set up OmniFocus to sweep everything out of iOS Reminders and drop the items into your OF Inbox. Therefore, you can use Siri with OF.

rdgeorge

Comment

Just as Notes can be better-set-up on a Mac before using Notes on iDevices, I recall that it was better/easier to set up multiple color-coded Calendars on a Mac before using them on iDevices.

rdgeorge

Comment

Working...
                                X