Forum

  • If you are new to these Forums, please take a moment to register using the fields above.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

PC software similiar to Omnifocus - that can sync with IPhone & IPad

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • PC software similiar to Omnifocus - that can sync with IPhone & IPad

    I am looking for a good software program, primarily for projects and tasks with the following criteria:
    1) compatible on PC
    2) sync's with IPhone and IPad
    3) nice user interface. I was using Omnifoucs, and really liked the design, though unless I am mistaken, it is not usable on PCs. Outlook is ok, though I do not really like the layout.

    Thanks for thoughts on software program(s) for the above!

  • #2
    Originally posted by Brooks View Post
    I am looking for a good software program, primarily for projects and tasks with the following criteria:
    1) compatible on PC
    2) sync's with IPhone and IPad
    3) nice user interface. I was using Omnifoucs, and really liked the design, though unless I am mistaken, it is not usable on PCs. Outlook is ok, though I do not really like the layout.

    Thanks for thoughts on software program(s) for the above!
    I would suggest Evernote. It can serve as an excellent list manager. We are also about to come out with a new GTD & Evernote Guide for Mac and one for Windows. Since you're a GTD Connect member, you'll get first access to those in the Connect Document Library, before they are available to the general public. Evernote also syncs beautifully to iPhone and iPad.

    Comment


    • #3
      Thank you for the quick response. What month do you expect the guide to be released?

      Also is Evernote completely cloud based, or also able to be used partially offline? I prefer to not have all be cloud-based, but only use the web to sync.

      I am unclear if Outlook can sync with IPhone & IPad, and clarification would be appreciated on this as well.

      Would be curious of alternate software suggestions if there are any.

      Many thanks!
      Last edited by Brooks; 06-10-2013, 01:34 PM. Reason: Added question

      Comment


      • #4
        Brooks,

        I am playing a bit with Evernote at the moment and it appears to keep a local copy of text but attachments can only be accessed when I'm online (at least on my Android tablet, I haven't tested this on my laptop). This article talk about how to make local backups though so it's doable.

        Another option is to upgrade to a premium / paid account. It's $45 and I'm beginning to think it is worth it if I decide to use it regularly.

        Mike

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Brooks View Post
          Thank you for the quick response. What month do you expect the guide to be released?

          Also is Evernote completely cloud based, or also able to be used partially offline? I prefer to not have all be cloud-based, but only use the web to sync.

          I am unclear if Outlook can sync with IPhone & IPad, and clarification would be appreciated on this as well.

          Would be curious of alternate software suggestions if there are any.

          Many thanks!
          You can use Evernote Notebooks offline, but only with a Premium account I believe. I have that. Synching requires being online. I have Evernote installed on my two Macs and use it on my iPad and iPhone. It's all one happy family.

          I hope to have both Evernote Guides out by end of June (Windows might be early July).

          Syncing Outlook to iPhone/iPad can be done, but it's not simple. It's not done through iCloud. If you're not on Exchange, you would need a third-party app/service like Remember the Milk or Hosted Exchange by Office365. We haven't evaluated or vetted either of those, so I can't recommend those specifically or speak to how well they work and. But that may give you some leads.

          Comment


          • #6
            My Life Organized

            I'm not particularly familiar with Omnifocus, but you might want to take a look at My Life Organized. Unlike Evernote (which I also use), it's more of a dedicated list manager as opposed to a catch all for notes, pictures, etc.

            It does have an android and iPhone app as well which can be synced via wifi or a pay service. It's best to think of the mobile apps as a companion to the desktop app as opposed to a stand alone app though.

            Comment


            • #7
              Omnifocus vs. Evernote

              I wanted to re-open this thread, and see if people have any new views for Evernote as compared to Omnifocus? My original questions are in the first post, thanks!

              I have a PC, and Ipad, Iphone - generally I like the look of Omnifocus more, though I cant use it on my PC, though I am considering using it though would only have access to my list on my phone or ipad and not computer. 1) Thoughts on this approach, and 2) a comparison of Evernote and Omnifocus now that both software programs are being more used for GTD in the past few months?

              Thanks!

              Comment


              • #8
                Lots of Apps

                I have never used Omnifocus, and have never tried to use Evernote for tasks. But it sounds like a strange comparison - a high-powered GTD task manager app vs. a general documentation app that you tweak for GTD task management. How come you are not considering any of the countless other options?

                There is virtually everything from simple list managers like Google Tasks and Wunderlist to complex apps like Omnifocus and MLO (and IQTell), but also a whole bunch of mid-level "GTD" apps like Zendone, Getitdoneapp, Nirvana, Doit, Things etc etc and a bunch of more generic mid-level apps like Toodledo, RTM, Todoist, Appigo, Outlook etc etc. I currently use Doit and before that I used Nirvana, Toodledo, RTM, Todoist, Gubb, Outlook and paper, and have tried at least a dozen others. They all work, and probably most of them have iPhone/iPad apps.

                Comment


                • #9
                  OK if Tasks Not On Your Computer

                  Back to one of your original questions, in May I switched from Outlook with the GTD overlay (used that since March 2007) to Omnifocus on the iPad and iPhone only, and haven't looked back in the slightest. I don't at all miss that the tasks are not on my computer itself. Proof positive that GTD is really the process, not any one specific tool. Didn't even feel like there were too many "switching costs," in terms of either time or attention/cognitive resources.

                  I have also found that since the switch, I now do many more things on the iPad that I used to do on the laptop. So my two cents on the overall approach is that it's a very good one indeed.

                  John

                  Originally posted by Brooks View Post
                  I wanted to re-open this thread, and see if people have any new views for Evernote as compared to Omnifocus? My original questions are in the first post, thanks!

                  I have a PC, and Ipad, Iphone - generally I like the look of Omnifocus more, though I cant use it on my PC, though I am considering using it though would only have access to my list on my phone or ipad and not computer. 1) Thoughts on this approach, and 2) a comparison of Evernote and Omnifocus now that both software programs are being more used for GTD in the past few months?

                  Thanks!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Zendone

                    FWIW, there is a GTD app called zendone.com, whose users are absolutely lyrical about its Evernote integration. Some of their users seem to be ex-Evernote users wanting for smoother task management, others ex-otherapp users wanting for seamless reference to email and documentation, but they all seem to be very satisfied indeed.

                    Zendone is "medium-complexity" app overall - much more than Wunderlist but much less than IQTell (which also sports Evernote integration).

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      ZenDone & ToodleDo

                      Originally posted by Brooks View Post
                      I wanted to re-open this thread, and see if people have any new views for Evernote as compared to Omnifocus? My original questions are in the first post, thanks!

                      I have a PC, and Ipad, Iphone - generally I like the look of Omnifocus more, though I cant use it on my PC, though I am considering using it though would only have access to my list on my phone or ipad and not computer. 1) Thoughts on this approach, and 2) a comparison of Evernote and Omnifocus now that both software programs are being more used for GTD in the past few months?

                      Thanks!
                      Hey! Ive just seen that ZenDone is mentioned and its less expensive than the others and not only for mac
                      How does ZenDone compare with ToodleDo?
                      How does ToodleDo compare G T D requirements ?

                      Thanks
                      Best regards for the Festive Season

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Hendrik Goote View Post
                        Hey! Ive just seen that ZenDone is mentioned and its less expensive than the others and not only for mac
                        How does ZenDone compare with ToodleDo?
                        How does ToodleDo compare G T D requirements ?

                        Thanks
                        Best regards for the Festive Season
                        Zendone has a freemium pricing model, with free accounts and premium accounts for $50/year. That is at the upper end of pricing for annual subscription task managers. It is more expensive, not less.

                        Like Toodledo and many other task list managers, it is web-based on the desktop supplemented with mobile apps. I have not used ZenDone. Based on the the number of reviews on the iOS app store, it appears to be well-liked by a small number of total users. Toodledo is both popular and well-liked. GTD can be implemented using Toodledo in a variety of ways; it is extremely flexible.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Hendrik Goote View Post
                          How does ZenDone compare with ToodleDo?
                          How does ToodleDo compare G T D requirements ?
                          I used Toodledo for years. It's very suitable for GTD but not built specifically for it. Pros: excellent sorting and filtering capabilities, task entry is easy, and it's very easy to learn. Cons: blah UI, a lot of features you don't need for GTD (but those can for the most part be easily suppressed).

                          I tried Zendone for all of two hours. It appears to have awesome Evernote integration and has a visually stunning UI that sacrifices usability for flashiness. Very complex and un-intuitive. Couldn't figure it out even with all of the help files and I'm very good at learning software.

                          I'd recommend Toodledo over Zendone. I am curious, though: why did you narrow it down to those two?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Brooks View Post
                            2) a comparison of Evernote and Omnifocus now that both software programs are being more used for GTD in the past few months?
                            You can use Evernote as a rudimentary GTD list manager, although for many (like me) that may be enough. Evernote's strength is its ability to capture hardcopy and digital content and allow easily retrieval through amazing search capabilities.

                            I use Evernote a lot but have not used Omnifocus because I am not a Mac user. I can only state what I've read from others: Omnifocus has very advanced task management capabilities, whereas Evernote's task management capabilities are limited to a feature called Reminders which is basically an alarm clock with different means of alerting you that you wanted to be reminded about something.

                            The two can be used in tandem: Omnifocus for tasks and projects, Evernote for project support and reference. An Evernote employee named Brett Kelly who wrote a book called Evernote Essentials does so.

                            Hope that helps a bit.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              This ...

                              Originally posted by johnmcoulter View Post
                              Back to one of your original questions, in May I switched from Outlook with the GTD overlay (used that since March 2007) to Omnifocus on the iPad and iPhone only, and haven't looked back in the slightest. I don't at all miss that the tasks are not on my computer itself. Proof positive that GTD is really the process, not any one specific tool. Didn't even feel like there were too many "switching costs," in terms of either time or attention/cognitive resources.

                              I have also found that since the switch, I now do many more things on the iPad that I used to do on the laptop. So my two cents on the overall approach is that it's a very good one indeed.

                              John
                              I was thinking the same. I have used OF on my iPad at home and at work without the PC/Mac version (I also have the Mac version so it is an option) but have found I just use the iPad. I have an Android N4 phone too so I don't even use the phone option, just the iPad. Very possible!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X