Forum

  • If you are new to these Forums, please take a moment to register using the fields above.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Top things you'd miss on android if you had to switch to iPhone ( or vice versa)

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Top things you'd miss on android if you had to switch to iPhone ( or vice versa)

    I have developed some ninja workflows on my s3 thanks to a few apps.

    Here's some of the things I'd most miss if i switched to iphone, in no particular order

    Large screen
    Removable battery so I can charge a spare one and then swap them
    Calendar snooze, really useful if your in the middle of something but a critical event is approaching
    Email me pro
    Email to self
    Swiftkey, suggested words are a really fast way to type
    Voicenote by Craig Hamilton
    Long press paste, just a tad quicker than iOS paste


    Be interested to hear other people's reasons, and also vice versa if you use iPhone ...

  • #2
    If I had to switch from iPhone to Android, I'd mainly miss:

    Simple integration with Mac OS X for things like calendar, contacts
    Same apps on iPad, iPhone and Mac
    OmniFocus
    iThoughts HD
    WeekCal
    TextExpander
    iBooks

    Comment


    • #3
      Swype keyboard. I can take notes as fast, maybe faster, than by hand with the swype keyboard.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by timjamesbrennan View Post
        I have developed some ninja workflows on my s3 thanks to a few apps.

        Here's some of the things I'd most miss if i switched to iphone, in no particular order

        Large screen
        Removable battery so I can charge a spare one and then swap them
        Calendar snooze, really useful if your in the middle of something but a critical event is approaching
        Email me pro
        Email to self
        Swiftkey, suggested words are a really fast way to type
        Voicenote by Craig Hamilton
        Long press paste, just a tad quicker than iOS paste


        Be interested to hear other people's reasons, and also vice versa if you use iPhone ...
        I have no desire whatsoever to start an acrimonious discussion, but your list seems mostly like minor features that can largely be addressed by 3rd-party apps. Large screen is surely a matter of taste and pocket size, and not all Android phones have removable batteries. I have a mophie juice pack, which provides the same functionality for my iphone. My main concerns with Android phones would be problems with os fragmentation and slow updates, and malware. I don't use google apps, for various reasons, so Android is a poor fit for me.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by mcogilvie View Post
          I have no desire whatsoever to start an acrimonious discussion, but your list seems mostly like minor features that can largely be addressed by 3rd-party apps. Large screen is surely a matter of taste and pocket size, and not all Android phones have removable batteries. I have a mophie juice pack, which provides the same functionality for my iphone. My main concerns with Android phones would be problems with os fragmentation and slow updates, and malware. I don't use google apps, for various reasons, so Android is a poor fit for me.
          The large screen is a huge advantage to my aging eyes. The "os fragmentation and slow updates" has been a real pain, but it is getting better. Samsung has been great updating my S3. The Nexus 4 eliminates that issue completely. I've never used Omni Focus, but I've seen demos and I would really like to try it. Not sure about malware, I don't know anyone on either platform who's ever had an issue.

          I suspect that if Apple release the iPhone on Verizon first, I'd be an iphone user. They didn't and ATT has abysmal coverage in my area, so I went Android and like it. I always hated earlier versions of iPods, and find family iPad is a PITA, so I don't suspect I'd have been any happier with the iPhone had I gotten one first.

          What ever works. I still miss my old Palm 3.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by jrdouce View Post
            I've never used Omni Focus, but I've seen demos and I would really like to try it. Not sure about malware, I don't know anyone on either platform who's ever had an issue.
            ...
            I still miss my old Palm 3.
            I have a love/hate relation with OmniFocus. If the Palm task app was a Model T, then OmniFocus is a Hummer: it's a lot more complicated, you can go a lot of places, but you use a lot of gas along the way, and the ride is not really better.

            Comment


            • #7
              What about watsapp? Is it available for i phone or only for Android?

              Comment

              Working...
              X