Forum

• If you are new to these Forums, please take a moment to register using the fields above.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using an mp3 Player to Leverage Focus and Vision

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using an mp3 Player to Leverage Focus and Vision

Last edited by CosmoGTD; 03-31-2006, 05:40 AM.

Coz:

What you are doing sounds compatible with Shad Helmstetter's "Self-Talk Solution." He has a couple of books and tape sets of pre-recorded material. In one of his books, he has suggestions for making your own recording. You might want to check it out.

I am reading my first Albert Ellis book. I got the idea from you. Thanks.

Ken

Comment

Two Questions

Coz wrote:
      I am currently experimenting, with great success, using an mp3 player to amplify my Focus and Vision. I came up with this idea, while looking at some current technical psychological literature about using “endless loop” cassette tapes for clients to experience “flooding” to overcome PTSD. They would make a short tape, in the way that was instructed, and then listen to this tape for about 45 min, REPEATEDLY for a number of weeks. (They have an entire system for doing this, which would take 40 pages to explain).
      Coz,

I'm curious. How long have you been doing this? Have you noticed the positive effects increasing or decreasing over time?

Also, can you provide a reference to the literature that describes the flooding process?

Comment

Re: Two Questions

Some good info on this "Flooding" technique, using an endless loop cassette can be found in "Thoughts and Feelings" Chapter 8, by McKay and Davis et al. There is lots of other great info in this book as well.
        http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...75952?v=glance

Originally posted by Scott_L_Lewis

I'm curious. How long have you been doing this? Have you noticed the positive effects increasing or decreasing over time?

Also, can you provide a reference to the literature that describes the flooding process?

Comment

Coz,

Would you be willing to share a sample portion of your script?

Jean

Comment

Originally posted by CosmoGTD
            Which Ellis book are you reading?
            I'm reading Guide to Rational Living.

Since this is a little off-subject for DA, do you know if there is a discussion forum re: Ellis and similar others?

Ken

Comment

Coz,

Thanks for elaborating. I think I will give it a try.

Jean

Comment

I think it sounds very interesting and will be curious to hear how it unfolds for you. Mostly, I think it sounds like like a lot of work up front. I do think that there is something to cognitive theory though.

Comment

Keep us posted on what you learn, Coz. I'm getting an iPod as a gift soon, and I'm looking forward to experimenting with your technique with my new toy.

Comment

Great Idea Coz, really...

Its just I am not in the market for an MP3 player at that moment (not that I haven't toyed with the idea).

When I do get an MP3 player--- this sounds like something I will try to incorporate into my system/philosophy.

Thanks for the inspiration

Comment

Coz

Why has your description of what you were doing with the MP3's been edited out?

Paul

Comment

Too bad you took it down. I had gone back to read it a couple of times because I needed time to process it.

It leaves the impression that you were miffed that no one leaped on your suggestion, and it certainly makes the rest of the posts in this thread look quite strange (including mine).

Carolyn

Comment

I agree with ceehjay.

I skimmed over your posts back when you first posted them but I didn't read them with a lot of thought and detail. Since that time I've been thinking about how I learn and how I program my own mind to accomplish things and set new standards (i.e. Leverage Focus & Vision in DavidCo terminology.) A lot of setting new standards for me has come through listening to the GTD Fast CDs and the Audible version of GTD and RfA as I commute, over and over.

I signed on this afternoon to find your posts deleted. I don't know if they are applicable to what I've been contemplating or not, but feel like I've been teased here. Oh well, it's your content and you certainly have the right to do with it as you please. I considered it on topic and I believe that you posted it to the right board. There are some chapters in Ready for Anything where it would be approrpiate for the Ready4Anything Yahoo! Group as well. You are welcome to repost it there. I can help you tie it in to a particular chapter if you would like. Alternatively, assuming that you aren't going to hold it for your pending book, I would appreciate it if you could personal message the content to me.

Comment

Originally posted by CosmoGTD
                            So its sorta the opposite of GTD, where he says to think of things only once.
                            Actually, I believe the quote is something like, "There is no reason to have the same thought twice unless you want to have that thought." With the techniques of which you speak, the user WANTS to have that thought again. As I said earlier, I have listened to my GTD Fast, Getting Things Done, and Ready for Anything CDs over and over many times during my commute. Why? Because I wanted to. I wanted a deeper understanding. I wanted to pick up the finer details. Sure, I could have just read the book once, or listened to the CDs once, but then I probably wouldn't be black belt today. I needed the reinforcement. I needed to think about it over and over, and I still do.

I've been researching ways to improve my health through diet and exercise. I am probably one of the most disciplined people that I know yet I have little discipline in these areas. I developed a lot of my organizational discipline from listening the CDs I mentioned above over and over until it all became quite ingrained inty part of my psyche. I'm now collecting material from the web to make my own recordings of information about diet and exercise. I plan to listen to these over and over during my commutes and see how that works. I'm quite optomistic. That is what brought me back to this thread today.

I don't remember the details of the content from your original posts but I think this is similar to what you were talking about. In fact, your posts were probably what inpired that, to some extent anyway, since they were obviously in the back of mind when I though about that two days ago. Obviously there was at least some "resonance". If you still feel that it is anti-GTD then I wouldn't mind corresponding with you off-list about it further.

Comment

Ahhh. I see a fundamental difference in our approaches. It appears to me that your methods and techniques are centered around what is already inside you. My methods and techniques are centered around something very extenal.

A believe that I would find a recording of me trying to alter my own standards with "affirmations" that came from within me to quite boring. I would likely be able to block this out and it would be mere background noise. In that instance there could be some subliminal absorption I don't want it to be subliminal.

I want to feed my mind facts and information. That's what I've done with the GTD CDs. In altering my standards for health and fitness I plan to read information and facts about diet and exercise that I pull from the Internet. For example there is a lot of good articles about walking at walking.about.com. I'm planning to record myself reading some of these articles out loud. Where as I typically only read information once, I don't mind listening to it over and over during my commutes. Going back to the age old parable that "we are what we eat", I want to feed my mind the types of data that I believe will provide the expected outcomes.

I believe that our two methods will likely have a similar number of similarities and differences. It would be interesting to see which one proved most successful in a controlled labratory situation.

Comment

Working...
                              X