Forum

• If you are new to these Forums, please take a moment to register using the fields above.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Outlook Macro to handle consecutive tasks

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outlook Macro to handle consecutive tasks

I have just posted in the netcentrics GTD Add-in support forum (suggestions/comments) a macro, which modifies GTD Police and automatically creates the next task after marking the previous one complete.

Though developed for the GTD Add-in, with slight modification it would work with a plain outlook setup as well.

Xoff

Nice tool I tested it out last nite great addition to a great macro.

Comment

Could you please post the link to the netcentrics GTD Add-in support forum and/or post your macro at http://www.davidco.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1849?

Thanks - I look forward to being able to use it!

Trisha

Comment

Originally posted by trishacupra
        Could you please post the link to the netcentrics GTD Add-in support forum and/or post your macro at
        The link is http://gtdsupport.netcentrics.com/fo...p?TOPIC_ID=514

I suggest using the link as you will need to replace a portion of GTD Police posted at:

http://gtdsupport.netcentrics.com/fo...p?TOPIC_ID=253

Good luck

Xoff

Comment

Much appreciated.

Comment

I'm inexperienced with macros and Visual Basic, but I love the whole concept and want to learn much more about how to program macros.

I'm having trouble with this macro and the Police macro.

I followed the instructions for the Police Macro except I put the modified This Outlook Session in first, then skip that in the Police instructions and pasted in the other modules (which are still called Module 2 etc as I don't know how to rename them, as indicated).

It's simply not working for me. There were some 'bugs' that Outlook didn't like when I pasted in the modified police code, and they were identified in red, I assume. I think it may have been a line break problem, because when I removed the line breaks, the red disappeared and it looked normal.

I've tested it and tested it, but it doesn't work.

I'd like to modify This Outlook Session to the normal police one to see if that works, but I can't figure out how to edit it now - it won't let me delete it or copy and paste over it. It was blank when I began.

Could someone please help me out, or point me in the direction of some good VB online help?

Thanks,

Trisha

Comment

Looks cool. If anyone with more VBA experience than me can modify this for use with out the GTD Outlook Add-In, please let me know!

Comment

Originally posted by vegheadjones
                Looks cool. If anyone with more VBA experience than me can modify this for use with out the GTD Outlook Add-In, please let me know!
                I am not too familiar with all the intricacies of GTD Police, however try removing line 130.

Let me know if this works out.

Xoff

Comment

I followed the instructions for the Police Macro except I put the modified This Outlook Session in first, then skip that in the Police instructions and pasted in the other modules (which are still called Module 2 etc as I don't know how to rename them, as indicated).
                  Trish, Would suggest you start from scratch paste all the GTD Police code and then replace the THIS OUTLOOK SESSION text. No need to rename the modules.

There were some 'bugs' that Outlook didn't like when I pasted in the modified police code, and they were identified in red, I assume. I think it may have been a line break problem, because when I removed the line breaks, the red disappeared and it looked normal.
                  You are right , the posting broke off the lines. I will try to repost.

Xoff

Comment

YIPPEE! It's working for me now!!!

This is so exciting - it's exactly what I've been wanting. This solves so many problems and saves so much time!

These macros are so great.

I've got the one which enables you to click the macro button to get a set of tasks you like to do on a daily basis - they're called 'Daily Disciplines'. It's a very neat, tidy way to handle routine tasks like that.

I'm also going to use the one that enables you to set a task to appear then disappear a set number of days. That's cool.

This modified Police macro is the king of GTD macros! David Allen ought to buy it off you to include in the GTD toolbar, it's so great!

I'm so excited, I'm off to do some project organizing!

Trisha

Comment

This modified Police macro is the king of GTD macros! David Allen ought to buy it off you to include in the GTD toolbar, it's so great!

Trisha
                      Glad to hear that it is working for you and that you find it useful. The macro is a very simple change to GTD police. Bill Kratz deserves the credit for creating GTD Police.

Regards,

Xoff

Comment

Help on GTD Police

Hi tried using this, wasn't working and deleted. But there is some code that will not delete in an Application-Sent Items window with the result that Intellisync won't work between Outlook and my Blackberry! Tried clearing BB and restarting but all my tasks are gone on the handheld! I'll try the macro again at some point but for now would just like to be able to synch Outlook to the blackberry. Can anyone please advise how I remove the code, sort this out! Many thanks Andrew

Comment

How to get rid of e-mail warning?

Very nice. I couldn't get it to run without signing the project, which was quite easy following the instrucions here:

http://www.danevans.co.uk/vba/

However, I get a pop-up saying "A program is trying to access e-mail addresses you have stored in Outlook. Do you want to allow this?" each time I run the script. Is there a way to either:

a) Always allow the script to access e-mail addresses (the drop-down has 10 minutes as max, which is way too low)
                          b) Have the script not access e-mail addresses?

I guess the pop-up is a feature to help disarm virii that use your address book to spread.

Comment

Re: How to get rid of e-mail warning?

Originally posted by morberg
                            However, I get a pop-up saying "A program is trying to access e-mail addresses you have stored in Outlook. Do you want to allow this?" each time I run the script. Is there a way to either:

a) Always allow the script to access e-mail addresses (the drop-down has 10 minutes as max, which is way too low)
                            b) Have the script not access e-mail addresses?

I guess the pop-up is a feature to help disarm virii that use your address book to spread.
                            I believe that is controlled through the Tools|Macros|Security settings. You may have to set it Low.

HTH

Comment

That's how I got it to work for me when I set it up.

Comment

Working...
                              X