Forum

• If you are new to these Forums, please take a moment to register using the fields above.
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Digital Note-Taking Writing Tablet or Digital Pen? Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PaulK View Post
    Freedom make bluetooth keyboards that work with at least some Android phones.

I use the i-Connex mini
    http://freedominput.com/freedom-acce...ex-mini-keypad

with my Motorola Defy+ (Android 2.3 but also worked with the older Defy on Android 2.2). It also works fine with my wife's iPhone 4.

I think the key is to see if your phone supports HID (Human Interface Device), or if not, to install a driver that supports it like http://www.teksoftco.com/?section=blueinputandroid.

Sometimes a keyboard is just faster than onscreen input on a phone. I can't speak for iPad since I don't have one.

At work I use a Windows tablet PC (Lenovo X201 Tablet) with Microsoft OneNote to capture handwritten notes and later convert some/all to text. Would love to see something as competent on Android or iPad, but since it needs an 'active' digitizer to get sufficient resolution for accurate recognition, it may need to wait until the next generation of tablets.
    Do you think that the GTD approach of capture first, organise later makes handwriting recognition less important? In some ways it may even help demarcate the two types of thinking as you can scribble at the speed of thought, then calmly type it up during organise.

Comment

Originally posted by pxt View Post
      Do you think that the GTD approach of capture first, organise later makes handwriting recognition less important? In some ways it may even help demarcate the two types of thinking as you can scribble at the speed of thought, then calmly type it up during organise.
      I have tentatively found that to be the case. There are apps that convert handwriting to text on the ipad. The whole ipad is the digitizer.

My moment was when I realized that there are apps that allow for handwriting to be captured to a file of some sort on the Ipad and one can come back later and deal with it. It struck me that for years and years I have been using legal pads to handwrite notes during a meeting and then days, weeks or months later I find myself paging through page after page on multiple pads to try to find some information that I somewhat recall having written down.

There are several issues with the pen on pad procedure that can be addressed by using the iPad. First is the fact that the iPad doesn't create lots of waste paper. But there is the ability to tag and categorize the notes that I've taken on the iPad. I can search for what I wrote down when I look for the note later, presuming that I've done some tagging and remember what I wrote.

There is, of course, the fact that processing the notes, whether on paper or electronic, helps A LOT if you do it soon. At a weekly review at the latest. I have found that I do a better process of capturing and processing when I use my handwritten notes on the iPad than a legal pad.

I agree that I find having to process handwritten notes to text tends to help my clarification process and seems to work better for me than when I've used the handwriting recognition.

Comment

Originally posted by pxt View Post
        Yes - I think separating the capture from process makes a big difference. To be honest, using a keyboard to type notes in the meeting works as well for capture, but I find it gives a different feel to the meeting. Many people are more comfortable if I am 'writing' notes, rather than typing exactly the same notes. Handwriting recognition on OneNote is really good, so it reduces the time taken to 'convert' to text, allowing more time to process and pull out action points.

Comment

Originally posted by nanotech View Post
          Which would you guys prefer and why? A pen that can write on any paper and you can then have all that text into your tablet pc (such as the logitech one) or a digital inkpad that comes with its own pen that transfers entire sheets of paper into documents on the computer?

Any of you have any experience with either one of them? pros & cons?

I appreciate all your input, thanks!
          I will prefer new tablets for writing notes. They are super fast and we can send our notes to anyone in seconds. great device
          Last edited by FredrickGonzales; 04-06-2013, 11:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X