Forum

  • If you are new to these Forums, please take a moment to register using the fields above.
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Omnifocus Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Omnifocus

    I'm new to this forum but have been looking for simple inexpensive tools to get started with GTD. I keep seeing reference to omnifocus. I did look at the app online but it seems awfully expensive for a list manager- the price is saw was $79- Is there a less expensive version of this that does pretty much the same? I thought I might try actionastic which seems like a simple interface and syncs with my ical and my ipod but the drag and drop feature on omnifocus appeals to me as a mac user. What tools do some of you use?

  • #2
    Highly recommend OmniFocus

    I've praised OmniFocus on these boards before. It's gotten even better since then. It's among the most powerful yet easy-to-use GTD applications available. (Believe me, I've tried nearly all of them available for the Mac...)

    The new OmniFocus iPhone functionality makes it an easy win for anyone using Apple's OS and David Allen's GTD principles. I think OmniFocus offers a lot more than just "list management." I've been using OmniFocus since the alpha testing days, and I'm still uncovering features I didn't know it had.

    I think OF has a trial period, too, so you don't have to pony up until you've had an opportunity to try it.

    Tim

    Comment


    • #3
      Omnifocus

      Totally agreed that OmniFocus is the best Mac GTD app around.

      I use it daily and love it!

      I also have the iPhone version which is elegantly designed.

      If you're looking for a price break, consider beta testing OmniFocus: http://tinyurl.com/344wbj.

      -Josh

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by michaela View Post
        I'm new to this forum but have been looking for simple inexpensive tools to get started with GTD.
        I think Omnifocus is not the best tool for getting started with GTD. I have both the desktop and iPhone version, and it works as advertised. This is saying a lot, because it does have a ton of functionality inside. However, I don't use it, because using that functionality has a significant cost for me in time and energy. While it is possible to use Omnifocus and not use the outlining, flags, et cetera, there is no real reason to do so, because there are other apps around that are faster and easier. However, Omnifocus is by far the best "full-featured" program of its kind for the mac. It has a free trial period.

        But is that what you really need? I think many successful, experienced people have found that simple tools with clean edges work better. Right now I am using a web tool, Toodledo, for my lists. It has many features I don't use. I don't use due dates, priorities, subtasks, or many other features. I use folders (for contexts), title and notes. That's it, and I am more productive than ever. Toodledo has free accounts, or you might try paper. In one of his books, DA quotes a proverb "the work will teach you how to do it." Easy and fast is better than complicated and hard.
        Last edited by mcogilvie; 09-27-2008, 07:38 AM. Reason: added info on free apps

        Comment


        • #5
          I use and highly recommend Things: http://culturedcode.com/things/

          It is very nicely designed and implemented, much simpler than OmniFocus but not less powerful IMO, and although it is still in beta, I have used it daily for months and never had any big problems with it. They also have an iPhone version that synchronizes with the desktop.

          Comment


          • #6
            You could try iGTD. I used to use it and liked it. Now I'm on OmniFocus and not looking back. It's the best.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by ZZamboni View Post
              I use and highly recommend Things: http://culturedcode.com/things/

              It is very nicely designed and implemented, much simpler than OmniFocus but not less powerful IMO, and although it is still in beta, I have used it daily for months and never had any big problems with it. They also have an iPhone version that synchronizes with the desktop.
              Does this sync to imac ICAL and or an apple Ipod? I am looking at the moment at actionastic which seems to work with both. Just trying to compare what is out there. Thanks!

              Comment


              • #8
                I've heard people talk about Things but not checked it out before. I like this comment on their website

                "The big picture. A Leopard style source list lets you easily focus without ever switching view modes or wrapping your head around filter criteria."

                Omnifocus has different viewing modes and filters

                Michael

                Comment


                • #9
                  Office on PC and Home on MAC

                  does anyone have any suggestions for this set up? I'd love to keep using OmniFocus but the company I work for is on PC? Any way to sync the info?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    PC counterpart to Omnifocus

                    A former colleague who uses a PC just got an iPhone and he is using something called Nozbe. When he showed me how it looks on his iPhone, it looked pretty identical to Omnifocus - at least at first glance.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by der56 View Post
                      does anyone have any suggestions for this set up? I'd love to keep using OmniFocus but the company I work for is on PC? Any way to sync the info?
                      I'd use a web-based tool for lists. I use Toodledo, and also like Remember the Milk. Nozbe is pricier, and less vanilla. Toodledo can be used for free, but for $15/year you get extra features like subtasks. This might appeal if you like the outlining in OmniFocus. I like outlines myself, but I keep them in notes instead.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Even with a browser plug-in like Google Gears, I don't feel comfortable using a online-only web-only solution.

                        A native program will always be faster and more versatile than web-based one. With a speedkey and OmniFocus' Quick Entry feature, I can capture my inbox items while I am in any program, as inspiration strikes. And this can be completed before a web page is even loaded.

                        If Toodledo, RTM and Nozbe offered native clients (Mac, Windows, iPhone) in addition to web access, then I would consider them.

                        When using a native program with speedkeys, I feel like I am Captain and Commander of my system. With web-based systems, I feel like a web surfer.

                        Just my 2˘.

                        Jim

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Lecter View Post
                          A native program will always be faster and more versatile than web-based one. With a speedkey and OmniFocus' Quick Entry feature, I can capture my inbox items while I am in any program, as inspiration strikes. And this can be completed before a web page is even loaded.
                          ..
                          When using a native program with speedkeys, I feel like I am Captain and Commander of my system. With web-based systems, I feel like a web surfer.
                          Interesting. One of the reasons I don't use Omnifocus is because I find it slow and a little awkward to move around in. Capture is fast because of the little utility program OmniGroup provides, but I think the time to load a web page compares very favorably with the time to load Omnifocus. Of course, I keep Toodledo in a browser tab all the time, just as I would keep Omnifocus open if I still used it. Another consideration is syncing. Omnifocus's sync works fine for me on multiple macs and an iphone, but it is slow. To each his own.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by mcogilvie View Post
                            Interesting. One of the reasons I don't use Omnifocus is because I find it slow and a little awkward to move around in. Capture is fast because of the little utility program OmniGroup provides, but I think the time to load a web page compares very favorably with the time to load Omnifocus. Of course, I keep Toodledo in a browser tab all the time, just as I would keep Omnifocus open if I still used it. Another consideration is syncing. Omnifocus's sync works fine for me on multiple macs and an iphone, but it is slow. To each his own.
                            I find OmniFocus to be as fast as can be (I never have to wait on OmniFocus, whereas I have had to wait for a web app to update). Web applications are tied to the speed of your internet connection and their compatibility with your web browser.

                            I love and use the Opera web browser (which is standards compliant), and many web applications (that are not standards compliant) don't work well in it. OmniFocus always works well for me, and I don't need Google Gears to access it if my internet connection is down.

                            And for programs that have a OmniFocus plug-in, capturing accurate, delineated data (populated into the fields with a link back to the original) is something no web application can lay claim to. Sure, web apps like Remember The Milk try hard with JavaScript and other APIs, but they pale in comparison with native applications.

                            For example, I just tried using RTM's Quick Add to add three e-mails (from web mail, as Quick Add doesn't work outside of a web browser) to RTM. Total time: forty seconds, and it added only selected text. In OmniFocus, it took under eight seconds to add three e-mails with the Clippings service speedkey, and each capture automatically transferred to OmniFocus with the message subject as the topic, the body of the e-mail as notes, and it included a link to the e-mail in Apple Mail. Results: less than a fourth of the time, with more data transferred, with a link to the source.

                            Keep in mind that I am not dismissing web apps like Toodledo, RTM and Nozbe. For web apps, they are amazing. But I find native programs faster, better integrated (with the operating system and other programs - not just a web browser), and more functional overall. Now if the web apps would create (well-designed) native applications that connected with their servers (or native applications added a reliable web interface to synchronized data), that would be very interesting, and worth heavy evaluation. EasyTask Manager is off to a good start in this regard and Appigo Todo (a native iPhone app) connects to Toodledo or RTM and syncs data. So, in the forthcoming months, I will keep an eye on them as they evolve.

                            Jim

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Lecter View Post
                              Even with a browser plug-in like Google Gears, I don't feel comfortable using a online-only web-only solution.
                              Not to mention the inherent security and access issues with depending on a web based system you have no control over.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X