Forum

  • If you are new to these Forums, please take a moment to register using the fields above.
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
I'm open to ANY Smartphone, what do you suggest? Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I'm open to ANY Smartphone, what do you suggest?

    I tried this Palm Treo 700wx, and I still don't know how to do the tasks. Seems confusing, and the manual is no help. It had Windows Mobile. Right now, I'm doing Treo 700wx, Olympus VN-120 Digital Voice Recorder, and Hipster PDA stack of index cards. I want to pare down to one device. I'm ready for a new smart phone. Here is what I want:

    1-Smaller the better.
    2-I want one button voice recording for my Ubiquitous Capture.
    3-I want an easy way to keep track of Next Actions via something like Tasks. Although, I've never seen anyone use the tasks yet. Maybe I should try Palm OS.

    That is about it.

    I'm thinking about these phones, but I am open to others.

    1-Palm Centro-Small and light, and has voice recording. Does the Centro have one touch recording?
    2-iPhone with either Quick Voice app for voice recording, or Jott.
    3-Google phone with Jott and ??? Sort of big though.

    I'm leaning towards the Centro. Opinions?

    John

  • #2
    Nothing beats stylish and powerful Nokia E71.

    Nothing beats stylish and powerful Nokia E71. Ask John C. Dvorak if you don't believe me.

    Comment


    • #3
      My vote is for the iPhone. Although, I can't offer you any pros and cons comparison with Windows-based smartphone, I do know that my wife's AT&T Tilt gives her all kinds of problems and she'd much rather have an iPhone, but that is what work allowed for.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by BillyIdol View Post
        .... Here is what I want:

        1-Smaller the better.
        2-I want one button voice recording for my Ubiquitous Capture.
        3-I want an easy way to keep track of Next Actions via something like Tasks. Although, I've never seen anyone use the tasks yet. Maybe I should try Palm OS......
        I've got a Centro and love it. It meets all of your requirements out of the box, no third party software needed, although there is a ton of freeware and shareware available if you want to customize.

        I have the side button setup so that I simply hold it, wait for a beep, record my voicememo, and release the button to stop recording. You never need to look at anything.

        The thing I would pay attention to is data input. The Centro keyboard is smaller than your 700, so you need to play with one to see if it works for you. I was skeptical of the size, but have become a very proficient thumbnail typist. I've played with iPhones, & my personal preference is for a dedicated keyboard and its tactile feedback. That said some people can type very well on the iPhone's virtual keyboard. The Centro also has this thing called copy/paste.... very handy.

        Comment


        • #5
          Stay away from Windows Mobile. It's a disaster.

          I've got a Motorola Q. Not only did Sprint send me a free replacement phone, but they then admitted there was a big flaw in the operating system and gave me a $400 credit in addition.

          I'm currently waiting for the Palm Pre to come out. Could be better, could be worse. We'll see.

          Before you buy a phone, figure out how you want to organize yourself and what tools you will realistically use, when you will use and the various ways you want to access them. The phone is secondary to this.

          I'm guessing you want to avoid paper for tracking appointments, tasks, etc. I don't like using paper for this type of stuff either, but everyone is different and there are people who swear by paper. More power to them.

          Your next option is to do everything on your phone. The downside is that you have deal with the cramped keyboard. This may or may not be a big deal for you. If you are thinking about going down this route, spend a lot of time in the store typing on whatever phone you think you'll want to use.

          Then go online and check out the various aps. Are there any that do what you want for the particular phone?

          The third option is to use an online service that syncs between your phone and your PC. There are various ones out there and I'm starting to look at them. Google and Yahoo have calendars that can be accessed via most phones.

          Your final option is to use Outlook, iCal or some other PC based program that syncs with your phone. (Outlook and Windows Mobil are a bad mix, particularly if you are mixing an XP with a Vista PC).

          The biggest key is to let your management system drive your smart phone choice, not the other way around. What works great for one person doesn't for another. So spend some time and think things through.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by BillyIdol View Post
            I tried this Palm Treo 700wx, and I still don't know how to do the tasks. Seems confusing, and the manual is no help. It had Windows Mobile. Right now, I'm doing Treo 700wx, Olympus VN-120 Digital Voice Recorder, and Hipster PDA stack of index cards. I want to pare down to one device. I'm ready for a new smart phone. Here is what I want:

            1-Smaller the better.
            2-I want one button voice recording for my Ubiquitous Capture.
            3-I want an easy way to keep track of Next Actions via something like Tasks. Although, I've never seen anyone use the tasks yet. Maybe I should try Palm OS.

            That is about it.

            I'm thinking about these phones, but I am open to others.

            1-Palm Centro-Small and light, and has voice recording. Does the Centro have one touch recording?
            2-iPhone with either Quick Voice app for voice recording, or Jott.
            3-Google phone with Jott and ??? Sort of big though.

            I'm leaning towards the Centro. Opinions?

            John
            Do you own a Mac or a PC? If you own a Mac, the iPhone is the hands-down winner.

            Comment


            • #7
              Nondual

              1-I own a PC, can an iPhone still sync with a PC or not? I just emailed Nozbe, and they said that Nozbe can be used with PC since it is web based.

              2-I wonder if all the other things on the iPhone can be synced with a PC.

              Man...that iPhone sure looks slick.

              John

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by BillyIdol View Post
                1-I own a PC, can an iPhone still sync with a PC or not? I just emailed Nozbe, and they said that Nozbe can be used with PC since it is web based.

                2-I wonder if all the other things on the iPhone can be synced with a PC.

                Man...that iPhone sure looks slick.

                John
                An iPhone will sync to a PC via the PC version of iTunes. Calendar and contacts will sync to outlook. Any iPhone app that syncs to a web app can be used on a PC. Visit apple.com or your local Apple store for information. The people at the Apple store are generally very, very helpful.

                Comment

                Working...
                X