Forum

  • If you are new to these Forums, please take a moment to register using the fields above.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are they any better calendar apps for Itouch/iphone?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Are they any better calendar apps for Itouch/iphone?

    Are there any improved calendars for Itouch/Iphone? I'll be switching from a palm PDA and am used to DateBk5.

    Thanks

  • #2
    Originally posted by ScottL View Post
    Are there any improved calendars for Itouch/Iphone? I'll be switching from a palm PDA and am used to DateBk5.
    There's nothing quite like DateBk5 on the iphone, which had jillions of features and settings, with funky interactions between them. A lot depends on what you want out of a calendar, and which calendar you're going to use. The built-in calendar is walled off from 3rd party apps, but can sync with ical (mac) or outlook (pc). All of the apps on the iphone interact in very limited ways, if at all. The builit-in calendar is what I use, but my calendar needs are simple. I do have a mobile me account, which gives me push on calendar items. There are several apps that sync to google calendar, and some other choices. It depends on what you want, and what your constraints (e.g. corporate policy) are. You know there is no built-in todo list, right?

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by mcogilvie View Post
      There's nothing quite like DateBk5 on the iphone, which had jillions of features and settings, with funky interactions between them. A lot depends on what you want out of a calendar, and which calendar you're going to use. The built-in calendar is walled off from 3rd party apps, but can sync with ical (mac) or outlook (pc). All of the apps on the iphone interact in very limited ways, if at all. The builit-in calendar is what I use, but my calendar needs are simple. I do have a mobile me account, which gives me push on calendar items. There are several apps that sync to google calendar, and some other choices. It depends on what you want, and what your constraints (e.g. corporate policy) are. You know there is no built-in todo list, right?
      1. I don't need zillions of features and settings, but a few more options than the standard app would be helpful. A better month at a glance would be good. I had assumed I would need to use a separate calendar than the built in one.

      2. I don't want anything web based, but will be buying a mac computer so something that I can at least back up onto a mac.

      3. I have no constraints i.e. no relevant corporate policy

      4. "You know there is no built-in todo list, right?"

      Ya but I know there are options for that e.g. if there are no other options (and I suspect there are) I've used lifebalance (just as an outliner/to do list) and could easily live with that.

      Thanks.

      Comment


      • #4
        Closest to Datebk5 is... Pocket Informant. Not as many features but it's their first release and is promising if that is your cup of tea.

        I have personally moved on to... Things Mac and Things Mobile (It better fits my current workflow. I don't use a Calendar).

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by ScottL View Post
          A better month at a glance would be good. I had assumed I would need to use a separate calendar than the built in one.

          .
          Agreed but as mcogilvie says the problem is that apple have not let developers access the inbuilt calendar data so it would be difficult to create something like this unless it was a whole new calendar. Even then you would have to get it past Apple to put it on the app store -- not sure what their attitude would be.

          Does anyone know if the walls around the calendar app are coming down with the 3.0 iPhone OS ? I would like a syncML client !

          Michael

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by ScottL View Post
            1. I don't need zillions of features and settings, but a few more options than the standard app would be helpful. A better month at a glance would be good. I had assumed I would need to use a separate calendar than the built in one.

            2. I don't want anything web based, but will be buying a mac computer so something that I can at least back up onto a mac.
            Almost everything is "web based" one way or another, with gcal sync popular. There are a few apps that have some standalone calendar functionality, but most don't sync to anything. The one exception is Life Balance, which has some calendar functionality. Honestly, I didn't think it is significantly better than the built-in calendar.

            3. I have no constraints i.e. no relevant corporate policy
            That makes things easier.
            4. "You know there is no built-in todo list, right?"


            Ya but I know there are options for that e.g. if there are no other options (and I suspect there are) I've used lifebalance (just as an outliner/to do list) and could easily live with that.

            Thanks.
            Really the key question is how you feel about web sync, as opposed to web based. If you are willing to use apps that sync to web applications, but don't require an active net connection to use, you have more choices. If not, not. This is true for both calendar and todo lists.

            Comment


            • #7
              "Almost everything is "web based" one way or another, with gcal sync popular. There are a few apps that have some standalone calendar functionality, but most don't sync to anything."

              I want to buy an application and synch the data between the desktop version and the itouch/iphone version. Does that really not exist? I don't want my data on the web at all. I only mentioned LB because you asked about a to do list.

              Pocket Informant looks interesting--thanks!

              I suppose if I have to I can keep buying old sony Th-55 PDAs (someone I know has a stash in storage) though at some point I'm going to have to get something current.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by ScottL View Post
                I want to buy an application and synch the data between the desktop version and the itouch/iphone version. Does that really not exist? I don't want my data on the web at all.
                Really, what you want doesn't exist, except for what Life Balance provides. Most people want their data reasonably secure, but are comfortable using the web. You can buy up old PDAs, I suppose. I have a colleague who has a store of old microvaxen, and another with a closet of Apple II's. They use the old machines for instrument control, and don't feel like changing.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by alsa View Post
                  Closest to Datebk5 is... Pocket Informant. Not as many features but it's their first release and is promising if that is your cup of tea.

                  I have personally moved on to... Things Mac and Things Mobile (It better fits my current workflow. I don't use a Calendar).
                  OK I really like the simplicity of Things and being able to synch to the mac, (as opposed to getting something like pocket informant which feeds into my tendency to overcomplicate) but:

                  ""I don't use a Calendar"

                  How do you get along without a calendar? Can one use the "scheduled" part of Things to handle e.g. appointments?

                  Thanks.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X