Forum

• If you are new to these Forums, please take a moment to register using the fields above.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using Bonsai

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using Bonsai

I've just started using Bonsai, and would appreciate hearing from other users how they've set it up. I'm trying to keep it as simple as possible.
    1. I've got 2 projects, Active and Someday.
    2. Level 1 of all of those projects are Projects (a category). Projects have, within their own outlines, Deliverables (a category), Someday or Deferred actions (With dates), or any of the "@" context items. Those next actions I can't do yet have no category.
    3. I have filters for all of the categories, due today, etc. That's why I have everything in one big project.

I started using Bonsai recently as well. I basically moved all of my projects out of the Palm Todo list into a single project file that has work vs personal and someday/maybe.

I'm finding it a bit unwieldy, though. I have lots of projects and when I need to think a project through, I add on and on to the outline.

C

Comment

I've used Bonsai for years now, and love the new 3.0 features. My projects list has projects as the main branch with NAs underneath. Category=context. I aalso have outlines for each level of focus, and use keywords on the project list to corespond to the items on the different levels.

Comment

"I aalso have outlines for each level of focus,and use keywords on the project list to corespond to the items on the different levels."

can you expand on this, Veg?

Comment

I've just reviewed Bonsai for PDA 24-7

My review of Bonsai 3.03 has just been posted to PDA 24-7. As you'll see, I'm quite taken with the new version which has replaced my old outliner and now enjoys a spot on both my Clie UX50 and my laptop. I love these apps!

With the new keywords and links to contacts and calendar items (in addition to the To Do list which Bonsai already handled nicely), this is a great addition to the GTD tool kit. I'm especially taken with the vast improvement in the desktop application (Windows only) which puts this app head and shoulders above Shadow Plan and Thought Manager (both of which I own and have tried to use in my GTD flow in the past).

http://www.clieuk.co.uk/bon1.shtml

Comment

"I aalso have outlines for each level of focus,and use keywords on the project list to corespond to the items on the different levels."

can you expand on this, Veg?
            Sure-- Instead of using altitude numbers (50,000 ft, etc) like DA does, I call mine, Next Actions, Projects, Goals, and Ideals. Goals corespond to the 3-5 year plans DA talks about, and Ideals are lifetime.

I have two outlines, Ideals and Projects. Subitems under Ideals are Goals. Subitems under Projects are next actions.

During my weekly reviews, I want to make sure each project has a next action, and each ideal has a goal. This is easy to do, if something does not have a subitem, it is missing a goal or a next action. But, I also want to make sure each goal has a project, and that is where I use keywords. For each project, put a keyword to show what goal it coresponds to.

Hope this makes sense, ask if you have any questions.

Comment

I think I have the equivalent of your project list, not the goal list.

Comment

Looks like that is what you have from your first post. You may want to try incorporating Goals into this framework, they have made my weekly reviews, and subsequent prioritizing decisions much easier.

Comment

If its not too personal, can you post some of your idea/goal outline?

Comment

Re: I've just reviewed Bonsai for PDA 24-7

[quote="mochant"]My review of Bonsai 3.03 has just been posted to PDA 24-7.

Mochant,

I'm interested in reading your review.

I could not read it online. An error occurs while trying to access the review.

Could you pls post it here?

Thanks

Comment

Review of Bonsai

ez,

I just tried the link and I had no problem accessing and reading the review. http://www.clieuk.co.uk/bon1.shtml

Carolyn

Comment

It's up now

I triedd to read it yesterday, too, but I kept getting a script error. However, I just tried it again, and it seems to be working. Excellent review!

Comment

Carolyn,

The link indeed works fine now.

Great review.

Comment

Thanks guys!

I'm glad you enjoyed the review. I'm very pleased with Bonsai, both on the Palm and the desktop. I still tend to use Bonsai on a different basis than most of the posters here. I do my primary GTD management in KeySuite which is problematic for linking tasks to Bonsai because it uses a proprietary dB.

So I build a separate Bonsai file for each project (of longer durations/complexity) and link them all to a Master Projects outline where I mark overall process. It's a great way to get a 20-30K view of my overall commitment level and progress that scanning a task list can't provide.

Comment

Similar Philosophy with TreePad

I'm using a program called TreePad in a similar way. I set up a separate "node" for each major contact (e.g., my direct reports, customers, media, etc.) and for each major project. It works really well.

Previously, I was using OneNote. I couldn't quite get it to do what I wanted, so I switched to TreePad. However, with the recent release of SP1 and the added features, I may go back. I'm evaluating it now.

Comment

Working...
                              X