Forum

• If you are new to these Forums, please take a moment to register using the fields above.
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Processing & Internet Reading Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Processing & Internet Reading

While processing my emails to zero, I often have mutliple emails containing articles or links to web site articles related to my profession.

Since there's no way of knowing whether the email will take less than 2 min. to do (read) I can either stop processing and read, taking my chances on the time, which slows down my processing to zero or I can move the email over to a READ folder for later. The challenge is that later never seems to occur. Right now I have a backlog of reading for books and monthly periodicals which I've not read.

How can I stay current in my profession and apply some GTD principles to Reading?

When you think is the best time for reading?
    How about scheduling time?
    When do you usually do your other NAs?
    Why not to do reading along with them?

Comment

I find a combination of delicious.com and Instapaper works really well. I just click the 'read later' bookmarklet, and the whole story is synchronised to my iPhone, iPad and Instapaper online account.

See: http://www.instapaper.com/

Delicious.com is good for when I want to keep articles / websites stored somewhere and tagged, but without worrying about which machine I'll be at.

S.

Comment

Originally posted by debbieg View Post
        How can I stay current in my profession and apply some GTD principles to Reading?
        I've got a physical limit of stuff that will fit and I know I need to catch up when the stuff expands beyond those limits. For internet stuff I add the links directly as an action in a reading project, yes it's almost never done and is probably more accurately an AOF but it works for me to call it a project anyway.

I also set aside some time each week to just do reading.

Comment

Spend two minutes scanning it. Look at the heading, skim read the first paragraph, and the last (intro and conclusions). That should give you some idea of whether it is a must read (action list) or a someday/maybe read (goes into my read/review list).

Comment

Working...
          X