Forum

• If you are new to these Forums, please take a moment to register using the fields above.
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Paper Everywhere--Where to begin? Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paper Everywhere--Where to begin?

Every available space in my office is taken up with many boxes of reference materials which not in any organized fashion.---so no room to add any additional reference materials and need to figure out how to review and organize the back-log.

My two drawer lateral file of active information is now full---need to purge to make room for anything else.

My desktop has become stacks of files, books, someday/maybe project materials.--need to clear the desktop, but no room in reference or lateral area.

What is the best way to tackle this one?

It's a project...

I suppose you've got yourself a project!
    What is your desired outcome of this project?
    What is the very next physical action you need to do?

Some elements I would tackle in the project:
    - What organisation do I want/require? Closets, drawers, filing systems?
    - Are there any legal and/or business requirements on documents I should archive?
    - Create temporary parking place for "stuff", as it creates space to work in
    - Make sure you've got the tools for your proposed organisation
    - Take bits and pieces from the temporary parking place and bring them back in your office, archive or delete them

Comment

Sounds like you need to listen to the "Digging out from backlog" webinars. I found them extremely helpful and no longer have that "overwhelmed" feeling.

Comment

GTD's Chapter 4 -- Getting Started: Setting Up the Time, Space, and Tools -- and also Chapter 5 -- Collection: Corralling Your "Stuff" -- are entirely devoted to this topic. I think the steps it describes (especially the Time and Space part) will get you on the righteous path.

You might find the Book Club threads on Chapter 4 and Chapter 5 helpful also.

Cheers,
        Roger

Comment

How to find?

Originally posted by Roger View Post
          You might find the Book Club threads on Chapter 4 and Chapter 5 helpful also.

Cheers,
          Roger
          When I clicked on the Chapter 4 & 5 Links, it says they are not available??

Comment

Sounds Interesting..

Originally posted by steveinbristol View Post
            Sounds like you need to listen to the "Digging out from backlog" webinars. I found them extremely helpful and no longer have that "overwhelmed" feeling.
            Where do I find the webinars?

Comment

Originally posted by debbieg View Post
              Every available space in my office is taken up with many boxes of reference materials which not in any organized fashion.---so no room to add any additional reference materials and need to figure out how to review and organize the back-log.

My two drawer lateral file of active information is now full---need to purge to make room for anything else.

My desktop has become stacks of files, books, someday/maybe project materials.--need to clear the desktop, but no room in reference or lateral area.

What is the best way to tackle this one?
              I remember an apocryphal story from college about someone whose dorm room was completely filled with crumpled paper as a prank. The student opened the door, and stared dumbfounded at the mass of paper before him. He thought for a moment, and then, with a smile on his face, lit a match, threw it in the room, and closed the door. Problem solved.

Please note: I am not recommending arson. However, I do recommend taking everything that you have not touched recently into boxes and storing them elsewhere. If you haven't gone back to them after a year or more, consider getting rid of them, with obvious exceptions for things like financial records and family heirlooms.

Comment

Where do I find the webinars?
                Debbie--the webinars are all on GTD Connect, our online learning center. You can try a two-week guest pass to see if it's for you. That will give you access to play the webinars on the Connect website. You would need to be a monthly or yearly member though to take them offline.

Comment

GTD Connect Book Club is in the GTD Connect part of the forum.

Originally posted by debbieg View Post
                  When I clicked on the Chapter 4 & 5 Links, it says they are not available??
                  GTD Connect Book Club is in the GTD Connect part of the forum.

Comment

Working...
                  X