Forum

• If you are new to these Forums, please take a moment to register using the fields above.
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
4-creteria model for choosing what to do question Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4-creteria model for choosing what to do question

4-creteria model for choosing what to do. I think I don't understand this model. Let's say I have 'Call My brother re: organizing a party for mom' at my action list. I'm at my office without access to the phone. Why should I think about the context creteria (@office) where I can't call my brother if I know that's the most important thing I have to do? I mean if I follow this model I would call my brother only when I have access to the phone. And what happens if I don't?

Hello,

I'm a relative beginner, but I thought I'd jump in on this one.

If calling your brother is a high priority and there are consequences to not doing so promptly ( or you just really want to ), then this belongs on your calendar.

In GTD, you work off your calendar first, then fill opportunistically from your contexts.

P.

Comment

let me ask you another question...

Originally posted by Ipatove View Post
      I mean if I follow this model I would call my brother only when I have access to the phone.
      How exactly did you want to call your brother without a phone?????

Seriously: contexts don't work for "urgent, must-do-now-or-something-bad-will-happen"-things. They work for "mmm, I've got time now, what could I do that would be useful"-things.

Myriam

Comment

Call brother - this would be on my home context list.
        So if I'm at my office, I check my Office context list, and think about how much time I have. I'm lucky, today no meetings until afternoon. Ok, so my context list is sorted by time (short, medium, long), so I decide to tackle a long task cos I have plenty of time.
        Energy - it's the morning, I'm feeling great so I'll try something that needs lots of focus.
        Priority - try a high priority action first.
        Looking at my list, the action 'Plan risk assessment project' is listed as being long, high energy, high priority, so I'll do that.

When I get home at the end of the day, I check my home context, and see 'Call brother'. do I have time? Not much, I need to get dinner on, I also need a rest. After dinner I have time, I feel rested, so I check my list and decide to call my brother.

Comment

There seems to be a lingering issue around what happens when people have a choice in what context they could be in, in contrast to the more GTD-default assumption that people have context thrust upon them.

Arguably all context-specific Next Actions have an implied preconditional Next Action (which itself is context-free, or anywhere): Get into that context. It might be useful to extract that into its own actual Next Action for situations such as this.

Cheers,
          Roger

Comment

Don't be a slave to your system.

If by "Most important thing I have to do right now" you mean that it is too important to wait, then you renegotiate. To heck with where you put the next action on your list a week ago. Change it.

If you need to call your brother now-as-in-now, and you don't have a phone, then your next action isn't "Call," it's "Go get my phone or find a payphone, borrow a phone or build one out of scrap metals like E.T." You have to change the next action in out-of-the-ordinary circumstances, and also if you renegotiate the agreement and outcome.

The trick is it's a lot easier to change the next action from the wrong one to the right one than if you have no action defined at all. You're not going, "What am I going to do about that situation with my brother?" for two weeks.

Comment

Working...
            X