Forum

  • If you are new to these Forums, please take a moment to register using the fields above.
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Next action entering on the fly Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Next action entering on the fly

    I'm lazy when entering next actions. First, I type in the next action. Then I have to enter the project. When you're in doing mode it seems like waste of time. My internal dialogue is: 'This is simple task, why should I spend time making a stick in the ground for it?'. It is not a real GTDer behavipr, isn't it?

  • #2
    I'm not exactly sure what the question here is, but there's nothing in GTD itself which requires a Next Action to contain information about what project it's related to.


    Cheers,
    Roger

    Comment


    • #3
      Accountability

      I like to see the relation between my NAs and the big picture (Personal Vision or whatever you call it). Some actions are related to projects, others directly to areas of focus, but yes, I like to be able to see not only what a specific action is there for but also how much weight I am giving to this or that area of focus/project when I do my weekly review. Entering the area of focus/project gives me information to evaluate from a higher perspective if I am on the right track or got caught in some not so important alley.

      But of course it is only a personal preference.

      Comment


      • #4
        take a look at your system

        Originally posted by Ipatove View Post
        I'm lazy when entering next actions. First, I type in the next action. Then I have to enter the project. When you're in doing mode it seems like waste of time. My internal dialogue is: 'This is simple task, why should I spend time making a stick in the ground for it?'. It is not a real GTDer behavipr, isn't it?
        hi,

        it IS in fact GTD behavior it's your mind telling you that your system is not installed in a way it can be completely trusted, because it's not motivating you to use it under all circumstances.

        Maybe this means that the way you are entering NA's is too complicated. I work in Excel, and I can select my projects from a drop down list, so adding a project to a NA is only a matter of one click (unless I'm defining a whole new project of course, that would also require the typing of the project). I know I would be a little demotivated if I would have to type the project's name every time I entered a NA.

        Myriam

        Comment


        • #5
          It is not usual to process and organize in doing mode.

          Originally posted by Ipatove View Post
          I'm lazy when entering next actions. First, I type in the next action. Then I have to enter the project. When you're in doing mode it seems like waste of time.
          It is not usual to process and organize in doing mode. You'd rather collect your thoughts on any piece of paper and process your notes later.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by TesTeq View Post
            It is not usual to process and organize in doing mode. You'd rather collect your thoughts on any piece of paper and process your notes later.
            same problem, no? Then you still would have to write the name of the project instead of typing it...

            Comment


            • #7
              Just collecting my unprocessed thoughts.

              Originally posted by Myriam View Post
              same problem, no? Then you still would have to write the name of the project instead of typing it...
              I am just collecting my unprocessed thoughts. I do not know if they represent actions or projects. I even don't know if they are actionable. I don't want anything to distract me when I am cranking widgets.

              Comment


              • #8
                Testeq, and if you FEEL it's urgent you do it right there, right?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by TesTeq View Post
                  I am just collecting my unprocessed thoughts. I do not know if they represent actions or projects. I even don't know if they are actionable. I don't want anything to distract me when I am cranking widgets.
                  I can relate to that, concerning unprocessed thoughts... but the question was about writing down NA's. Even when you're in a doing mode, you might have to write down a NA, for example when you stop working on one specific project, and will continu some other time. In that case you will need to write down NA, whether on paper or digitally.

                  Myriam

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Write down a new Next Action (bookmark) for the project that was interrupted.

                    Originally posted by Ipatove View Post
                    Testeq, and if you FEEL it's urgent you do it right there, right?
                    Originally posted by Myriam View Post
                    I can relate to that, concerning unprocessed thoughts... but the question was about writing down NA's. Even when you're in a doing mode, you might have to write down a NA, for example when you stop working on one specific project, and will continu some other time. In that case you will need to write down NA, whether on paper or digitally.
                    Yes, you can/should write down a new Next Action (bookmark) for the project that was interrupted. It's easy - the project is defined - just think what is the next step.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X