Forum

  • If you are new to these Forums, please take a moment to register using the fields above.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Survey: how many total lists do you have?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Survey: how many total lists do you have?

    Random survey question:

    How many total lists do you have? I'm curious.

    My own answer: around 160... approximately 50% Someday-Maybe, 30% reference, 20% Next Action/Projects

    I don't have any "lists of lists" that David Allen says he has... but if I did I could probably save time digging through my Someday-Maybe!

    What about you?

  • #2
    80 Someday/Maybe lists?

    Originally posted by JohnV474 View Post
    How many total lists do you have? I'm curious.

    My own answer: around 160... approximately 50% Someday-Maybe, 30% reference, 20% Next Action/Projects
    80 Someday/Maybe lists?

    I can think of:
    1. Someday/Maybe work projects
    2. Someday/Maybe home/family projects
    3. Someday/Maybe community projects
    4. Someday/Maybe hobby projects
    5. Someday/Maybe music/creative projects
    6. Someday/Maybe sport/fitness projects
    7. Someday/Maybe investment/financial projects
    8. Someday/Maybe "to read"
    9. Someday/Maybe "to watch"
    10. Someday/Maybe "to listen"
    11. Someday/Maybe "to buy"
    ...and that's all

    Comment


    • #3
      Someday-Maybe

      My dreams must be much more detailed than yours.

      i do have about 80 Someday-Maybe lists, though many of them could be re-cast as Reference folders... everything from "Business technologies to try" to "Funny t-shirts" to "Inventions"...

      All based on things that I may want to do, but that I have no commitment to ever doing.

      I could chuck the ideas into a folder, but they are, after all, potential actions.

      Comment


      • #4
        items or lists?

        Originally posted by JohnV474 View Post
        Random survey question:

        How many total lists do you have? I'm curious.

        My own answer: around 160... approximately 50% Someday-Maybe, 30% reference, 20% Next Action/Projects

        I don't have any "lists of lists" that David Allen says he has... but if I did I could probably save time digging through my Someday-Maybe!

        What about you?
        I suppose you mean items on your lists, and not actually lists? Or do you actually have 80 lists with several someday/maybe items on them????

        Myriam

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by JohnV474 View Post
          How many total lists do you have?
          Not sure I understand the question really.

          I have 22 contexts or lists that are active and contain next actions. I have 1 context that is waiting for for stuff I am waiting for someone else to do or for something to come.

          If you're asking about projects then I have 133 active projects and 494 on-hold or someday/maybe projects.

          Total actions including ones in the on-hold projects are just over 1300 right now.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by JohnV474 View Post
            My dreams must be much more detailed than yours.

            i do have about 80 Someday-Maybe lists,

            ...

            , but they are, after all, potential actions.
            I wonder how you handle these during review ?

            Comment


            • #7
              clarification

              Originally posted by Myriam View Post
              I suppose you mean items on your lists, and not actually lists? Or do you actually have 80 lists with several someday/maybe items on them????

              Myriam
              Yes, I have around that many Someday/Maybe lists, and each lists contains multiple items.

              -JV

              Comment


              • #8
                clarification 2

                Originally posted by Oogiem View Post
                Not sure I understand the question really.

                I have 22 contexts or lists that are active and contain next actions. I have 1 context that is waiting for for stuff I am waiting for someone else to do or for something to come.

                If you're asking about projects then I have 133 active projects and 494 on-hold or someday/maybe projects.

                Total actions including ones in the on-hold projects are just over 1300 right now.
                If I read your reply right, then the answer I meant would have been around 25... 22 NA lists plus your Waiting list, Project list, and (I think) a Someday/Maybe list.

                I heard David Allen refer to having "lists of lists" and checklists for all sorts of things, like Daily Review, Weekly Review, Travel checklist, etc., and so I was curious how many others had.

                Thanks for the reply
                -JV

                Comment


                • #9
                  review

                  Originally posted by pxt View Post
                  I wonder how you handle these during review ?
                  Good question.

                  It is because of review that I have so many lists. When all of the contents were in one "Someday/Maybe" list, I had to read through the whole thing in order to review. By breaking down the Someday/Maybe actions into appropriate categories, I can review most of them simply by looking at the titles.

                  Let me illustrate:

                  SDMB--T-shirts to make (I have an interest in screenprinting, but right now is not where I want to focus. I don't want to lose any good jokes or ideas for shirts that I may want to make, so I capture them, but leave them on the list.)
                  SDMB-Movies to share with Karen (not going to be seeing her soon, but want to keep the list for family reunions, etc.)
                  SDMB-Business technology to implement (review this for new gadgets, computer stuff, etc.)
                  SDMB-Road trips to take with Mark (I'll see him this weekend, so here are some regional places I've wanted to show him, so I will review this one)
                  SDMB-Dream cars/car projects (not in the market--skip)
                  SDMB-Dream house (everything I have ever wanted in a dream house--but, I'm not building or buying right now, so I skip)
                  SDMB-Vocab/Quotes to implement (if someone says something in an eloquent way or I find a new word, I write it down... this list has thousands of entries over the last 16 years, but I just skim parts of the list to remind me of words or phrases... helps me speak and write good. )
                  ..... etc.

                  The subcategories let me skim to the SDMB items that I am more likely to be interested in these days... "SDMB-shifts in diet to try to see how they affect energy/weight", for example, after all those holiday treats.

                  Hope this explains.
                  -JV

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    not all SDMB items

                    Originally posted by JohnV474 View Post
                    Good question.

                    Let me illustrate:

                    SDMB--T-shirts to make (I have an interest in screenprinting, but right now is not where I want to focus. I don't want to lose any good jokes or ideas for shirts that I may want to make, so I capture them, but leave them on the list.)
                    SDMB-Movies to share with Karen (not going to be seeing her soon, but want to keep the list for family reunions, etc.)
                    SDMB-Business technology to implement (review this for new gadgets, computer stuff, etc.)
                    SDMB-Road trips to take with Mark (I'll see him this weekend, so here are some regional places I've wanted to show him, so I will review this one)
                    SDMB-Dream cars/car projects (not in the market--skip)
                    SDMB-Dream house (everything I have ever wanted in a dream house--but, I'm not building or buying right now, so I skip)
                    SDMB-Vocab/Quotes to implement (if someone says something in an eloquent way or I find a new word, I write it down... this list has thousands of entries over the last 16 years, but I just skim parts of the list to remind me of words or phrases... helps me speak and write good. )
                    ..... etc.

                    -JV
                    Ok, I see now what you mean. But I wouldn't call them all lists, rather SDMB-contexts or SDMB-projects... then again what's in a name

                    What I would do is this: to take your first example (make T-shirts). I would specify in my SDMB-list "make T-shirt" as an item and then keep a list of ideas in a reference folder called "T-shirt making". During weekly review all I have to look at is "Make T-shirt". if I don't want to do that next week, I go to the next item. If it's something I might do next week, then I might define a NA "choose T-shirt to make". But the actual list of ideas would be reference material (or project material), but would not show up on my SDMB-list.

                    Same goes for "movies to share". That's just reference material. Share movies with Karen is not even a SDMB-item, since it's not in your hands to decide. It's rather a WF-item. WF "Karen to be in town to share a movie". And then the list of movies to share is again reference material.

                    Myriam

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Reference or Project Support

                      Originally posted by JohnV474 View Post
                      SDMB--T-shirts to make (I have an interest in screenprinting, but right now is not where I want to focus. I don't want to lose any good jokes or ideas for shirts that I may want to make, so I capture them, but leave them on the list.)
                      SDMB-Movies to share with Karen (not going to be seeing her soon, but want to keep the list for family reunions, etc.)
                      SDMB-Business technology to implement (review this for new gadgets, computer stuff, etc.)
                      SDMB-Road trips to take with Mark (I'll see him this weekend, so here are some regional places I've wanted to show him, so I will review this one)
                      SDMB-Dream cars/car projects (not in the market--skip)
                      SDMB-Dream house (everything I have ever wanted in a dream house--but, I'm not building or buying right now, so I skip)
                      SDMB-Vocab/Quotes to implement
                      I see now, those aren't really lists in the sense I use the word when talking about GTD but are instead reference material, I have folders both paper and electronic with things like that but they are reference or project support material for projects that are on hold or in someday/maybe for me.

                      My examples would be a project of knit another lace scarf and in it I have a note that I have lace scarf patterns located in the paper folder Knitting Patterns - Scarf that contains paper knitting patterns for scarves & in my computer reference system a similar folder with all the PDF scarf knitting patterns.

                      Other lists like books to read or movies to see are also project support material. For example my husband and I are reading all the Terry Pratchett books. So when we finish the last one I go to my reference of book reading order and pick out which one is the next in the series in order and get it. So the list is in support of an active project but is also sort of a someday in that we don't buy all the books at once.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Myriam View Post
                        Ok, I see now what you mean. But I wouldn't call them all lists, rather SDMB-contexts or SDMB-projects... then again what's in a name

                        What I would do is this: to take your first example (make T-shirts). I would specify in my SDMB-list "make T-shirt" as an item and then keep a list of ideas in a reference folder called "T-shirt making". During weekly review all I have to look at is "Make T-shirt". if I don't want to do that next week, I go to the next item. If it's something I might do next week, then I might define a NA "choose T-shirt to make". But the actual list of ideas would be reference material (or project material), but would not show up on my SDMB-list.

                        Same goes for "movies to share". That's just reference material. Share movies with Karen is not even a SDMB-item, since it's not in your hands to decide. It's rather a WF-item. WF "Karen to be in town to share a movie". And then the list of movies to share is again reference material.

                        Myriam
                        Yes, I agree with you, many of these may be reference items. Looking at the organising diagram in the Getting Organised chapter of M.I.A.W., they look like 'specialised reference'. Then, when a new movie idea has been collected and clarified, then it can be added to the relevant speciality reference list during organisation. I keep a map of that diagram handy just for this purpose, with my own specialised reference items listed on it.

                        Then, the SD/MB item is to share a movie with Karen, if it is done adhoc, or as a calendar item if it is done regularly.

                        An example from my own reference is a list called Costing. As I process information coming in through my collectors, I may add a regular expense to the list. Someday, maybe, I'll review my spending to see what I am wasting money on.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          someday vs. reference

                          Some of you stated that much of the "someday/maybe"-things are to be treated like reference.
                          This could apply also on some of my lists.

                          But this leads to the question: Where to store reference material in the best way?
                          I saw there is an existing thread
                          http://www.davidco.com/forum/showthr...ecommendations

                          but I still not know exactly where to put all the reference material.
                          For now, I create new "notes" in Outlook, but it becomes more difficult to keep an overwiew.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Tom.9 View Post
                            Where to store reference material in the best way?
                            In a place and location where you can find it when you need it and that is accessible when you want to review it.

                            As that thread indicates for me the electronic references are in DEVONThink if fairly small or in a file structure that might contain Open Office documents, spreadsheets, PDFs etc. that is indexed by DT.

                            Paper ones are in my general purpose reference files.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I'm not really sure how to count lists, because an electronic list tool is just a database, and one can slice and dice the entries in a number of ways. I have 12 contexts, and the largest is Someday/Maybe with 117 entries. The total number of entries is 244, and the largest actionable list has 25 entries. One of my Someday/Maybe's is "Weed Someday/Maybe List" which I will make active fairly soon. For me, long lists and large numbers of lists are not helpful. I also keep checklists, project support material, and reference material in other tools so my next actions and project tool is kept clean.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X