Forum

• If you are new to these Forums, please take a moment to register using the fields above.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Big first collection

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big first collection

Hello !
    Excuse me if I make mistakes, I am french and I never talk or write in english in my everyday life. I hope I'll be clear enough

I have discovered GTD on Internet since 2 or 3 years and have tried to use some concepts directly. Then I decided to buy two translated books of David Allen and to start following the whole process after reading them. But I find it difficult.

My problem is about the first collection : if I understand I have to "scann" all my stuff, but how should I consider archives like my student notes ? I intend to turn them into references and keep some sheets as souvenir, but today I have many meters long of paper, so it's going to be a long job to look at the details.

I imagine that a GTD's collection about it could be :
    - write one note for the big project of my student notes (read, keep/summarize/throw away, etc.)
    - write some brainstorm notes for any idea I have today about it (in order to clear my mind)
    - rapidly look at those student papers in order to catch other ideas, but leave papers where they are. Only collected notes will get in GTD process for the moment.
    Then I will consider other papers, clutter, home renovation works, dreams... for an exhaustive collection.

Is it the good approach ?

Thank you for reading !

I think you got it right. The key is to pay attention to whatever has your attention and capture it first of all. I personally wouldn't even bother scanning student lectures at all because there is probably nothing actionable there

Comment

Originally posted by Joty View Post
      Hello !
      Excuse me if I make mistakes, I am french and I never talk or write in english in my everyday life. I hope I'll be clear enough
      You write better than most English speaking people that I know who profess to be very proficient in the written word
      Last edited by kelstarrising; 04-13-2011, 03:42 PM.

Comment

Make a project called 'Backlog' and this should include all past stuff like student notes and old boxes of papers. Then plan how you might sort through them over time.

Comment

Thank you for your help and encouragements !

May, I agree with you, old student notes are not a priority because there's nothing special to do about them. But I also think that it can be an important part of GTD system, as references or souvenirs, when moved in a fresh and trusty classification. This idea sounds right for me while reading GTD's instruction, but it is hard to define the right time for this job and you helped me a lot !

delittlehales, that is sweet, thank you ! I do my best (with google precious help I confess), but I wish to train again because I've forgotten so much about english and german speaking... it's one of my next GTD's entries

Suelin23, your advice strengthen my decision : I will keep the existant classification until I decide to start the first action of "student's backlog" project, and handle only GTD's notes at first.

So I just have to go on collecting... cool !
          Thank you again !

Comment

Working...
          X