Forum

• If you are new to these Forums, please take a moment to register using the fields above.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Avoiding the Real World

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avoiding the Real World

I need some help on motivation and implementation. I left a great sales job to pursue my goal of having a sales rep agency. I have one client that basically pays 80% of our household needs. I am reading GTD and have read Ready for Anything and listen to the CDs. I try to log on daily and read the forums but...
    I have realized that I am avoiding implementation and life by locking myself up in my cubbyhole home office.
    I need help with Next Action for getting my butt going. Anyone else gone through this and what helped?
    Thanks all
    Jeff

Barnes & Noble University GTD Course

Hi JWE,

I signed up for the Barnes & Noble GTD course that starts next week. Jason is teaching the course and it's FREE. Just signing up for the course gave me a nudge to start re-reading and using GTD. I even did a mini-mindsweep (53 projects, 107 NAs and counting) and mini-weekly review (currently have 3 emails in my inbox) earlier this week. I'm hoping the course helps me stay on track.

BNU GTD Link
    http://tinyurl.com/2q3j3

Comment

B&N University

Wow. Great tip. This gives me something to look forward to. Hopefully Monday will be a turn of motivation for me.
      Thanks
      jwe

Comment

I am avoiding implementation and life by locking myself up in my cubbyhole home office
        I tend to fall into the same thing. An action, even a small action, tends to change this situation. I have realized that as long as I am physically moving around and not sitting in a chair for long periods of time, I am good. So now I am minimizing sitting in a chair along and thinking....

Comment

Coming out of the cave

Thanks Coz, you have alot of good replies to these forums. I guess it boils down to for me: When I don't know what to do next, do anything. If an opportunity comes along I will be in that Martial arts ready stance to go forward more easily than from a stand still.
          To quote GTD " Anything that causes you to overreact or underreact can control you, and often does."
          Working from home with a client that is over 1000 miles away, it is easy to slowly degrade to the point of stand still. I have lost the human touch to everyday work which also contributes to this lack of motivation.
          But on a positive note, forums like this brings alot of it back to perspective. Excuse me while I go put on pants and step outside to smell the flowers. I feel like coming out of my cave now.

Great replies all.
          jwe

Comment

Re: Avoiding the Real World

Try journalling your feelings whenever they start to overwhelm you. Do it until you have exhausted your anxiety on paper. Journal as often as you feel you have to. Then you will feel unburdened (lightened) enough to do some work. Journalling is a great way to get yourself unstuck.

I know the cabin fever feeling of a home-office.

Andrew

Comment

A non-GTD recommendation: read the book Get Clients Now, by CJ Hayden. Extremely practical program which I would recommend to anyone who's running their own business.

Comment

[quote="CosmoGTD"]Why worry about motivation?
                >Why not just pick ONE Next Action at a time, and simply make yourself >do it, whether or not you "feel motivated" to do it?

I agree

>If you are having Anxiety, then you are going to have to ACT in DIRECT >OPPOSITION to your feelings, which is the opposite of motivation.

hmmm

>Motivation is fine, but we don't need it.

Maybe, but we need the idea of being motivated.

I find Dr. Burns' advice that Action leads to Motivation which leads to More Action which leads to More Motivation, etc. a little more encouraging. I am a firm believer in the idea that whatever you can do to overcome Inertia will lead to Momentum, which will make you forget all the prior negative thoughts while you are busy with the work.

Andrew

Comment

Originally posted by CosmoGTD
                  ... i decided that no matter how i felt, that NOW was the time to do this, and i started doing it by pulling out the files, and a few hours later i was finished, and also organized my tax info library as well, while i was at it.
                  Once upon a time there was a time when this was called "to act with determination".

Coz,
                  Thanks for this great post.

Rainer

Comment

[quote="CosmoGTD"]I think that creates a sense of detachment about it, which makes it much easier to do.

Well, I think this is the key point of difference. While I agree that there is a certain scientific-intellectual attractiveness about the idea of dealing with things as they are and not getting overly emotional about them, I don't think that this approach fairly deals with the human element that gets in the way for most people. That human element is best reflected in the old scenario of the teacher/parent who says "if you are good I will give you a prize", where there's always at least one kid who will respond "what's the prize?". It's that human element that has to be dealt with and that's why techniques such as outcome visioning, working backwards from the finish point, journalling, postive self-talk, etc. are not only appealling but also successful.

Andrew

Comment

Great insight coz. Hopefully scheduling things will lead to good habits. If I remember correctly David Allen talks about building habits to a point where you feel uncomfortable if you don't do things. Kinda like having to brush your teeth.

Comment

Constructive Living

Coz's posts in this thread, which I think come from his Albert Ellis experiences (thanks for the pointers to that, Coz) are things I stumbled across 10 or more years ago in the books of David Reynolds and his "lifeway," Constructive Living.

CL is based on the work of a Japanese contemporary of Freud called Morita. Here's one of his quotes:

Give up on yourself. Begin taking action now, while being neurotic or imperfect, or a procrastinator or unhealthy or lazy or any other label by which you inaccurately describe yourself. Go ahead and be the best imperfect person you can be and get started on those things you want to accomplish before you die."- Shoma Morita, M.D.

Morita's idea was that people should accept their emotions as a fact (like the weather), but one of many facts that go into making a decision to leave the house or do a task. If you're feeling scared, take note of it, but if your purpose requires you to take action (you're scared of flying but have to fly), then you fly scared to death--you distract yourself, read, sleep, do whatever, but you do what you have to do. (This doesn't mean becoming an emotionless robot, BTW; you're never without emotion; but you don't let emotions dictate your actions. Instead, as William James showed, emotions follow actions.)

Sadly, many of Reynolds' books are out of print, but they very simply present basic ideas to help cut through a lot of the low-level neuroses that intelligent people (like us) foist upon ourselves. The little psychological tweaking soon begins to acquire the patina of philosophy.

Here's a web site with more info: http://www.todoinstitute.org/. They have articles from their newsletter available for reading. Not much different, perhaps, from Ellis or Burns, but this is what I came across first and it still speaks to me.

mike brown

Comment

Motivation

JWE

Being familiar with your situation, I have found a very helpful trick. That is, no matter what, get your butt out and in front of customers first thing each Monday morning. It sets the pattern for the week. If you're lazy about making appointments initially, you will overcome that once you've wasted time not getting to talk to people at the clients location.

Like David Allen talks about the trick of putting on your exercise clothes to get you to exercise. The equivalent in sales is to get in front of clients - make appointments. I try to visit at least 3 per day and contact more than that by phone, email, etc (obviously).

Whatever you do, dont wait until you're motivated - you'll die!

Comment

Coz-

Very thought provoking post

(Time for me to print it off and put some action on it!)

Thanks!

Comment

I don't think that doing NA's is part of a Weekly Review. A Weekly Review is specifically 10,000 ft level and up.

Andrew

Comment

Working...
                              X