Forum

• If you are new to these Forums, please take a moment to register using the fields above.
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
creating habits using GTD Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• creating habits using GTD

I am using GTD in my life and I really enjoy it. The biggest deficiency that I have so far is trying to use it to install new habits in my life. An example of this is that I am a software developer and I use the same piece of software ever day. I know I could become a more efficient developer if I learned to use it better. I have take the time to do the research and I know how to use it better. However, when I start using it I fall into old habits and forget to use the things that I have learned. I am trying to think of a way to work habit creating into my GTD system some how so I am reminded and actually use the things that I have learned. However, I cannot seem to find a good way to do it (I am using omnifocus to keep my lists). Any ideas of how to integrate habit creation into a GTD lists or do you use some other way? Thanks for any thoughts on the matter.

Josh

Simple. Use daily checklist for things you want to be reminded of but are not next actions. For example
    * sleep enough
    * see if I'm implementing some habit
    * See that nothing falls through the cracks in Omnifocus
    * etc.

Check it everyday. Done

When some items on this list would need actions and you want to be proactive, for example researching something or whatever, then create a project.

Comment

I have a checklist that I use everyday. One of the things on the top of my list is to read my GTD guide. It is a document I wrote on how to do GTD (my specific system) and I've expanded it to include all the tasks I have to do. Like I'm trying to learn how to use a GIS software and I put my description of how to use it in there. Each day I read it (or skim and read the parts I haven't memorised yet) and over time you memorise what you have to do, and that's when things start becoming a habit.

Comment

Thanks for the ideas. I have the tendency to ignore things on my list that happen every day. But, I think I need to correct this to move forward.

~ Josh

Comment

Working...
        X