Forum

• If you are new to these Forums, please take a moment to register using the fields above.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

next-actions-list vs projectactionlist/projectlist vs projectportfo/review after task

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tom.depoorter View Post
    Hi

I've read the e-book "Zen-to-Done" written by Leo Babauta.
    His method is a light version of GTD, mixed with some of the "7 habits of Succesful People" of Stephen Covey.

In his book he explains that long next-actions-lists are a problem: the focus disappears.

Stephen Covey one of methods proposes that you select, during the weekly review, the most important nextactions that you want to do next week (for instance one for each day). He calls this big rocks.
    He also proposes that you plan which big rock will be done on which day.

Every day you've got to plan your big rocks (the big rock you've selected during the weekly review + some others you didn't plan), which he calls Most Important Tasks (MIT) and some small actions, which he call small rocks.
    This big en small rocks could be written down and a small to-do-list. This can help you to focus.
    He also proposes that you start your day by doing the big rocks and end with the small rocks.

Best regards

Tom
    I too keep a short list of Most Important Things, as I understand many GTDers do. I update this at least every weekly review and use it as a way of reminding me which big ticket items that most need my attention and which projects that I will want to make quick reviews of daily or almost daily, to make sure I move on those as quickly as possible. I would never dare to make a daily MIT list though, as I don't have that degree of control over my days, so I would just set myself up for disappointment if I did that.

Comment

Originally posted by mthar1 View Post
      I would never dare to make a daily MIT list though, as I don't have that degree of control over my days, so I would just set myself up for disappointment if I did that.
      I understand your point of view. ZTD proposes to choose just one MIT a day (the one you selected during the weekly review). The additional MIT's (that you choose that day, not during the weekly review) should only be selected if this is possible.

I'll see where I end up ...

Comment

I use 3 MITs (or even more!).

Originally posted by tom.depoorter View Post
        ZTD proposes to choose just one MIT a day (the one you selected during the weekly review). The additional MIT's (that you choose that day, not during the weekly review) should only be selected if this is possible.
        Really?

Here http://zenhabits.net/zen-to-done-ztd...tivity-system/ Leo Babauta wrote:

Originally posted by Leo Babauta
        3 plan. Habit: set MITs for week, day. Each week, list the Big Rocks that you want to accomplish, and schedule them first. Each day, create a list of 1-3 MITs (basically your Big Rocks for the day) and be sure to accomplish them. Do your MITs early in the day to get them out of the way and to ensure that they get done.
        I use 3 MITs (or even more!).

Comment

Working...
        X