Forum

  • If you are new to these Forums, please take a moment to register using the fields above.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dependency: Money

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Dependency: Money

    Hey Guys,

    I just started with GTD and I love it. While processing my list I realized that money is a dependency of some tasks, like "renovate apartment" or "buy new fridge".

    How do process stuff like this?

  • #2
    Sorry, I don't get the meaning. Can you elaborate, please?

    Comment


    • #3
      Money & GTD

      Originally posted by GetsThingsDone View Post
      Hey Guys,

      I just started with GTD and I love it. While processing my list I realized that money is a dependency of some tasks, like "renovate apartment" or "buy new fridge".

      How do process stuff like this?
      Hi Cotton178,

      This is a great question. I can share the way that I handle things that are 'pending' due to money.

      If there is something that I know I am going to be able to be purchase in the near future because there is money coming in on a certain date to pay for it, then I would do the following. Say I had to buy a ski jacket. I would create a calendar reminder for myself on the day the money comes in that says "Money is coming in today to buy ski jacket." I then might throw it in my errands list if I know exactly where I am getting that jacket. If I have to do research on the jacket or if there were another step to finalize this purchase, then I would make it a new project and pull out my first action.

      If the situation was one in which I didn't know when the money was coming in, then I would put purchasing a ski jacket on my Someday/Maybe list. Since you will look at this list during your weekly review, you will be reminded that it is a desirable purchase once the money shows up. I even have a sub-category under my Someday/Maybe list called "Purchases" that helps me remember what I want to put my money toward in the future.

      I hope this is helpful! Keep up the great work.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by mcgeek View Post
        If the situation was one in which I didn't know when the money was coming in, then I would put purchasing a ski jacket on my Someday/Maybe list. Since you will look at this list during your weekly review, you will be reminded that it is a desirable purchase once the money shows up. I even have a sub-category under my Someday/Maybe list called "Purchases" that helps me remember what I want to put my money toward in the future.
        So simple, but so good. Thank you very much, mcgeek!

        Comment


        • #5
          good question.

          Last year, my husband and I decided to try out a financial course that's advertised on the radio (Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University... John, if I shouldn't mention it by name, go ahead and edit it out.). It's an inexpensive 13-week course that covered all of the major financial areas including budgeting for "renovate apartment" or "buy new fridge". I can't recommend the course enough, especially if you're in debt or you need to save for things like a college education.

          Basically, you make a list of the things you want to buy, and each month, after you've paid off all your bills, you apply what's left over to one thing or another. You keep doing this month after month until things are paid off.

          Once you've accumulated the money, then it becomes a project like any other that goes on your projects list.

          I hope that helps a little.

          Dena

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by artsinaction View Post
            It's an inexpensive 13-week course that covered all of the major financial areas including budgeting for "renovate apartment" or "buy new fridge". I can't recommend the course enough, especially if you're in debt or you need to save for things like a college education.
            That sounds very interesting, but 13 weeks? How much time a day does it take?

            Originally posted by artsinaction View Post
            Once you've accumulated the money, then it becomes a project like any other that goes on your projects list.
            Yes. When I have the money, I will start a project

            Thanks for the tips, Dena. I will definitely check out that financial course!

            Comment


            • #7
              not as long as it sounds

              There are lists of group leaders in your geographic area (usually lots of them, depending on where you are), so you sign up with one online. Then once a week for 2 hours for 13 weeks you meet up to watch a 1-hour video with discussion before and after. You never have to discuss your personal financial situation unless you choose to. There's a book and workbook that go with the program and each week they ask that you read a chapter. That's it. There are secular (non-religious) groups and Christian-centered groups, depending on what you'd like. The material is the same... there are a handful of Bible verses cited in the latter. The whole course (which is really the cost of the materials) is just over $100, I think... for the whole 13 weeks. The people that lead these groups are volunteers. And it's really good information. Oh, and you also get audio CDs of all of the videos, and you and anyone in your immediate family can repeat the course as many times as you wish free of charge.

              Since we completed the course, we have received maybe 5 or 6 emails from the company and no one has called to tried to sell us other services or rope us into anything. And that, frankly, surprised me. It was well worth our time and effort.

              Hope that helps!

              Dena

              Comment


              • #8
                Do you do a cash flow budget to work out when in future you will be able to afford things?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by artsinaction View Post
                  There are lists of group leaders in your geographic area (usually lots of them, depending on where you are), so you sign up with one online.
                  I'm from Germany. It doesn't seem like this is available here.

                  Originally posted by artsinaction View Post
                  There's a book and workbook that go with the program and each week they ask that you read a chapter. That's it.
                  Would you say, I can do this as a home stury course by myself, just using the video, audio & workbook?

                  Thanks Dena for your info.

                  Originally posted by Suelin23 View Post
                  Do you do a cash flow budget to work out when in future you will be able to afford things?
                  No. Never done something like that. But seems like I should organize my finances and some stuff. Got any advice for a newbie? Should be simple and fast to learn, since I don't have the time to do much right now.
                  Last edited by GetsThingsDone; 03-07-2012, 09:18 AM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Alas!

                    Originally posted by GetsThingsDone View Post
                    I'm from Germany. It doesn't seem like this is available here.
                    That's too bad! I found one of his books translated into German on the amazon.de website, though: http://www.amazon.de/Total-Money-Mak...1089546&sr=8-2 I think that's as close as we might be able to get.

                    Good luck!

                    Dena

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      It's also in English, but since I read books, almost exclusively, in English,, it's not a problem. Thank you, for taking the time to look this up for me!
                      Last edited by GetsThingsDone; 03-07-2012, 11:50 AM.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        money is the other piece

                        I've found that GTD solves most of the issues that keep me awake at night, but it can't balance my budget if I don't know how to manage my money. Getting Things Done and Managing Your Money are those two high school courses that don't exist but should.

                        You have to have a firm grasp on what your work is, and how to save for and pay for everything you need to balance your life. Once you have both of those pieces in control in your life, there's really nothing you won't be able to handle... in my opinion.

                        So, although this isn't a financial advice forum, it's the puzzle piece that, when not managed properly, or at all, causes the most damage over time, regardless of how well you're executing your other projects and next actions.

                        Dena

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X