Forum

• If you are new to these Forums, please take a moment to register using the fields above.
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
The big things Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cwoodgold View Post
    What's most important to me is: preventing nuclear war and establishing an international convention against nuclear weapons; preventing global warming; maintaining ecological habitat and biodiversity; the health and wellbeing of all human beings; reducing the gap between the rich and the poor; making decisionmaking more democratic at all levels..
    Wow, you need some focus dude!

I presume that spending time with family, rest and relaxation are all personal and independent areas of focus from the items you list above.

If the above list really matters to you, you need to focus on how your work aligns with whats on the list. You also need to consider the larger agenda in this list. Are you interested in becoming canonized as a saint? are you interested in acquiring power in order to achieve those goals? Are you interested in meeting others who share the same outlook as you?What are you doing that is tangible and achievable that sets the stage for achievement of any of the items on your list?

Comment

sleep and blowing stuff up

lol have no idea how the thought of nuclear war, global warming and sleep are all mixed together. usually, these things are seperate.

Comment

Defining the impact

I love that you have this as one of your aspirations! I find for myself the best way to find time to dedicate towards the higher level goals I have, is to define them very clearly.

Asking yourself exactly the impact you'd like to have on the prevention of global warming is a great start. I like to see us all as links in the chain to greater good. If this is true, then where would you begin?

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step, and in this case the first step is getting extreme clarity on what you want. Not just what you want the destination to look like, but what you are prepared to do and commit to, on the journey as well.

Once you have an idea of the role you'd like to play, it is much easier to break it down into smaller outcomes and then next actions.

Please keep us posted on how you do with this! I'm excited to hear your successes, big or small!

-Marci Turk

Comment

Thanks a lot for your responses, everyone!

Comment

Originally posted by cwoodgold View Post
            What's most important to me is: preventing nuclear war and establishing an international convention against nuclear weapons; preventing global warming; maintaining ecological habitat and biodiversity; the health and wellbeing of all human beings; reducing the gap between the rich and the poor; making decisionmaking more democratic at all levels.
            If this is whats truly most important to you why isn't it your work? I'd think about a change of career or forget it. Unless its part of your work you have no chance of doing anything meaningful about it.

Comment

Originally posted by NewbGTD View Post
              If this is whats truly most important to you why isn't it your work? I'd think about a change of career or forget it. Unless its part of your work you have no chance of doing anything meaningful about it.
              As has already been mentioned, these issues have money at the heart of them and work or career is something which is done in return for money. Therefore there will always sooner or later be a conflict of interest if you make it your work to solve these problems.

But, yes, it's difficult to see what one person can do to make a difference. And even if they do do something as, again, has already been mentioned, it can make the situation worse despite good intentions (re:banning water bottles).

The answer may be not so much to focus directly on the desired outcomes but to develop a life philosophy which is congruent with the higher level desires. i.e. live with less focus on financial gain, competitiveness with others. Perhaps by living this way others will observe the benefits of a more wholesome life with less reliance on energy and money intensive things and the avoidance of conflict and decide to adjust their own philosophies accordingly.

Then again, there are always people that are driven by greed and conflict for the sake of itself. But these people must also be dealt with in your everyday life. So if you can develop your philosophy to deal effectively with these people, without disrupting your life you may find a solution that can be scaled up to solve the bigger problems of the world. After all, all these problems are caused by people.

You fulfil your 50,000ft purpose by achieving your lower level goals. Fixing your bike may not prevent environmental catastrophe but if a lot of other people notice how much money you save cycling rather than driving then they might think about doing the same. It's almost like not trying. The worst that can happen is you live your life the way you wanted to.

Comment

Working...
              X