• If you are new to these Forums, please take a moment to register using the fields above.

No announcement yet.

Next Actions for a Project

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Next Actions for a Project

I know GTD insists you have a Next Action Item for each of your Project. But...

Do people list all of their actions for a project as they think of it? For example, Project X might consists of 5 action steps. If so, where do all of those action steps go?

I am not the better person to answer you, since I am a beginner and everyday I beleive I know less of GTD and more to learn...

But In my case I just put the Next Action, many times I plan ahead but only put one, when that one is done then I add the next NA to the list.

The reason is that I do not like to find NA that I cannot do, becasue I need to do something before.

Therefore in my list is only one NA per Project, no matter that sometime I try to plan ahead.

good luck

I always list any action I can think of, even if it's not a next action.

I list it as part of the reference material for the project.

This helps me to keep my head empty, and avoid thinking twice about things, etc.

I see no contradiction between listing any action you can think of, the moment you think of, and making sure you'll have (at least) one next action for every project.

NA's should be actionable

Your NA lists should only contain NA that you can actually do now. If you have a list of actions with precedence associated with a project, that list should be attached to you project reference materials - either PM software, file folder or just the notes section of your @Projects list. You can have several NAs for a project listed in your action lists at the same time, as long as they can be acted upon now.

I try to add what I call "future" next actions to my project support materials as I think of them. This usually means I add it to the note section of the project memo on my Palm. If I'm in a rush I jot it on a note and throw it in my inbox for later processing. I also think about future next actions during my weekly review, but if I don't record them as I think of them, a good idea might not come back to me later.