Forum

• If you are new to these Forums, please take a moment to register using the fields above.
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Looking for book recommendations Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Willpower books that I've found useful and a couple of others

1. The Willpower Instinct by Kelly McGonigal. Based on a course at Stanford.
    2. Willpower: rediscovering the greatest human strength. Baumeister. More research than (1) but also very good.

Anything from Brene Brown, especially if you find yourself hampered by perfectionism, guilt, or shame. (Look up her TED talks if you want a nice intro to her work.)

The Most Important Lesson No-one Ever Taught Me is fascinating; the subtitle is, "How I feel matters." (a favorite book of Peter Attia, MD at eatingacademy.com.)

jim (jmsmall)

Comment

orbiting the giant hairball -- yes!

I am on vacation, halfway through Orbiting the Giant Hairball, and I just want to say 'thanks -- great recommendation!'.

One thing I like about the book is the way it is arranged into little standalone nuggets -- I can read one, put the book down and let the thoughts bounce around my head, then come back later for another nugget.
      Organizationally, the book it most reminds me of is Iron and Silk -- another book you can enjoyably read, nugget by nugget.

Thanks again,
      Rob

Comment

Originally posted by ArcCaster View Post
        I am on vacation, halfway through Orbiting the Giant Hairball, and I just want to say 'thanks -- great recommendation!'.

One thing I like about the book is the way it is arranged into little standalone nuggets -- I can read one, put the book down and let the thoughts bounce around my head, then come back later for another nugget.
        Organizationally, the book it most reminds me of is Iron and Silk -- another book you can enjoyably read, nugget by nugget.

Thanks again,
        Rob
        Glad to hear it! It's one of my favourite books, full stop... I'll have to look into Iron and Silk!

Comment

Books read that you might consider:
          • Will There Be Donuts? David Pearl (great book on meetings)
          • Thinking in Systems by Donella H. Meadows
          • Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman (a bit hard slogging, but insightful)
          • The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg
          • Paris 1919: Six Months That Changed the World by Margaret Macmillan (comprehensive view of the end of WWI--interesting to see how much has and hasn't changed in nearly 100 years)
          • Plutocrats: The rise of the new global super-rich and the fall of everyone else by Chrystia Freeland (she grew up in my town, but went on to much bigger things; fascinating look and with experience in the Soviet Union/Russia, she brings a world view we don't often see)
          • Made to Stick: Why some ideas survive and others die by Chip & Dan Heath
          • Switch: How to change things when change is hard by Chip & Dan Heath
          • The Sketchnote Handbook by Mike Rohde (visual note taking; interesting and it made me get out the sketchbook and pens, but I don't think I'll be implementing--it's easier for me to type)

Thanks everyone for the recommendations.

Leslie

Comment

Working...
          X