Forum

• If you are new to these Forums, please take a moment to register using the fields above.
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
reference material vs. someday / maybe Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• reference material vs. someday / maybe

I see a lot of books which seem to be interesting, i.e. they seem to be future reads or at least reference material for projects.

For now, I put the titles under "someday maybe / check this" in my outlook list. So my s/m list is growing...
    Another possibility would be to store that books directly in some bibliography software (like EndNote), which would take more time (some more clicks).

Im open for suggestions

Originally posted by Tom.9 View Post
    I see a lot of books which seem to be interesting, i.e. they seem to be future reads or at least reference material for projects.

For now, I put the titles under "someday maybe / check this" in my outlook list. So my s/m list is growing...
    Another possibility would be to store that books directly in some bibliography software (like EndNote), which would take more time (some more clicks).

Im open for suggestions
    If your someday/maybe list is dominated by books, try making a new list just for books. Don't forget to weed the list periodically. Unless you use EndNote professionally, it seems like overkill to me. I use Zotero for papers that I may want to refer to for work.

Comment

Originally posted by mcogilvie View Post
      If your someday/maybe list is dominated by books, try making a new list just for books. Don't forget to weed the list periodically. Unless you use EndNote professionally, it seems like overkill to me. I use Zotero for papers that I may want to refer to for work.
      This is cool I'll ltry it, thanks!

Comment

Evernote

I keep a separate Evernote list that says "To buy/ rent" and have it split up by books, music, and movies. I add to that. Keeps my Someday/ Maybe cleaner and I have one place to browse books I'd like to buy when I'm in the market.

Comment

For now, I put the titles under "someday maybe / check this" in my outlook list. Im open for suggestions
          Set up a wish list at Amazon. Even if you don't buy books there it's a great way to age your book selections until you decide whether to read them or take them off the list. I have 2 one for paper books and one for kindle books.

Comment

Originally posted by Oogiem View Post
            Set up a wish list at Amazon.
            I tried it, but that leads to system inconsistencies.
            Not all s/m books are in one place.
            If I would transfer all of them to amazon, why this and not EndNote?

Comment

I tried it, but that leads to system inconsistencies.
              Not all s/m books are in one place.
              If I would transfer all of them to amazon, why this and not EndNote?
              I do have all my books on Amazon, even those I know I will buy elsewhere so no inconsistency for me.

As to why not EndNote. EndNote is designed to create research bibliographies to exacting scientific paper standards. IMO it's overkill for a simple list of books I might be interested in and also requires a lot of work to maintain.

If you don't do an Amazon list then a simple text file or a list in something like DEVONThink or Evernote is sufficient. You want to make it simple to keep the list and easy to use.

Comment

Working...
              X