Forum

• If you are new to these Forums, please take a moment to register using the fields above.
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Are these really Projects? Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are these really Projects?

I currently have 69 "Projects", but I'm beginning to believe that some are not really Projects in the GTD sense; rather some appear to be Categories. I am starting to feel acute GTD dissonance, and I need a cure.

For example, in the suspect group I have:

Entertainment
    Family
    Health and fitness
    Home improvement
    Kids
    Mentoring (because I have so much to offer the world
    Might buy...
    Personal Development
    Personal reading
    Professional development
    Travel

etc.

The ones that seem like legitimate Projects include:

Intellectual Property document (ie, write an IP document related to a work project)
    Kids investment accounts (ie, set up some specfic new accounts).
    Recommendation for XYZ
    Redo wills (because I might not have long to Mentor

Is this an issue of mixed size or granularity of the projects? Am I letting things without projects bleed into my definition of Projects? Or do some "Projects" naturally have random things drop into those categories.

Thanks, David.

Are these really projects?

By GTD definition as project has more than one step and has a desired outcome. Give each project a little key word for a title and write out what the end point would be (not what you will, could, wish, etc). For example: Creating and updating project list is a project when you first start out. So, yur first project might actually be "Project List: I have a categorized list of active and someday maybe projects for the areas of focus and responsubility in my life". Or "Lamp: there is a good reading lamp on my desk". Or "Re-wire":the basement is rewired by an electrician". A project can be two steps or a huge number. Projects might conveniently be categorized in whatever way appeals to you, but I can tell you that simply perosnal and work will not be enough. Palm users can do the project list in Memo or in ToDo, either one allows for 15. I stupidly put my projects in ToDo. Memo alphabatizes and it is much easier to find things. ToDo will sort by date an priority.

Comment

Re: Are these really Projects?

Originally posted by dsmccormick
      I currently have 69 "Projects", but I'm beginning to believe that some are not really Projects in the GTD sense; rather some appear to be Categories.
      David - looks like what you've got there is an "Areas of Focus" list. How about making a list or memo called "Areas of Focus" containing these items? You can review this list as necessary to generate new actions.

Comment

I agree with the other responses - what dictates a project is a specific, measurable outcome. You have that with the final four on your list - it's possible to know when you've completed each of those items.

The others do seem more like Areas of Focus. It's certainly possible that within each you'll have projects. For example:

Visit Hawaii (Travel)
        Lose 15 pounds (Health and fitness)
        Replace kitchen floor (Home improvement)

Try asking yourself for each item on your project list, how will I know when this is completed? If you can't answer the question, it's probably not a project.

Comment

Re: Are these really Projects?

Originally posted by JonathanAquino
          Originally posted by dsmccormick
          I currently have 69 "Projects", but I'm beginning to believe that some are not really Projects in the GTD sense; rather some appear to be Categories.
          David - looks like what you've got there is an "Areas of Focus" list. How about making a list or memo called "Areas of Focus" containing these items? You can review this list as necessary to generate new actions.
          I get it. I think you (and the next poster) are absolutely right. I was mixing things that are legit projects and Roles (or Areas of Responsiblity). I have started culling the ones for which there are not obvious measurable final outcome. I am going to try to write in each Project what the outcome will be upon completion.

Thanks Jonathan and Ko. That helped a lot.

Cheers, David.

Comment

Working...
          X