Forum

• If you are new to these Forums, please take a moment to register using the fields above.
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
How do you manage deadlines? Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you manage deadlines?

Hi,

If you're only thinking about one 'next action' at a time, how do you ensure you reach your deadlines?

Thanks,

Trisha

Count-down

Hi Trisha,

count-down entries in my paper calendar, e.g.:

30 days till deadline for report xy,
    20 days till deadline for report xy,
    10 days till deadline for report xy,
    05 days till deadline for report xy.

Rainer

Comment

Thanks

Thanks Rainer

It's good to see you here - it's a small world.

After all, you're in Germany, I'm in Australia, and we are both posting on an American site.

See you around more, I hope.

Comment

If I have a specific deadline for a project, what I do is add the deadline date at the end of every Next Action for that project, for example:

Do action 1 (feb 1)
        Do action 2 (feb 1)

That way I always have a reminder of the end date in mind when looking at the NA list and can prioritize my next actions appropriately.

Comment

Project planning

So,

Are you saying that when you have a project to do, you should list all the NA's in advance and give each a deadline?

I thought that was traditional project-planning, which is frowned upon by GTD.

Am I mistaken?

Trisha

Comment

No, what I mean is, if I know for example that the final drop-dead due date for Project X is Feb 1, then whenever I finish up a Next Action for Project X and write down the next Next Action for project X, then I also write down the final due date of the PROJECT (Feb 1) next to the Next Action. If I have a drop-dead due date for a Next Action, I'll write that down, too, but that rarely happens for me - usually I can do my Next Actions any time as long as it happens before the final Project due date.

Comment

Ok.

So how do you pace yourself during a project?

If you don't lay out all the steps and give a deadline to each, how do you prevent yourself from doing the first NA's slowly, then rushing through the last NA's to complete the project on time?

Thanks,

Trisha

Comment

Working...
              X