Forum

• If you are new to these Forums, please take a moment to register using the fields above.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lesson 42 of Success

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lesson 42 of Success

Last edited by CosmoGTD; 03-31-2006, 06:28 PM.

Chicken Soup and Intellectual Honesty

Although I have occasionally looked at the Chicken Soup books in bookstores, I have never bought one, because they seemed so lightweight and derivative. But boy, this would not meet the standards for academic integrity at my university..

Mike

Comment

poor copies

I once heard somone (was it Richard Bandler of NLP fame?) say that a photocopy of a xerox, which is a copy from an original is never ever as good as the real thing.

It seems we have an example of that here!

Comment

Okay, I am going to disagree. I have the Success Principles and read it twice before I found GTD. I can understand how you might see parallels if you already know GTD, but I certainly didn't get GTD out of that lesson or chapter in the book. Ironically, when I read GTD and heard David talking about doing a braindump of incompletes, I thought about this chapter in The Success Principles.

GTD is about tasks and next actions. This lesson from Jack Canfield is more focused on big messes like losing weight, repairing relationships, all sorts of things that go way beyond the runway level of GTD. It also isn't a tool for everyday living - it's a list of things that are not complete so you can complete them and move on and do your real work. Before starting GTD I had made such a list, but it only had about ten items on it. We all know there are far more items than that on your lists if you're doing GTD.

Yeah, he had the tickler file idea on there, but how he applied it wasn't how David Allen teaches. It was just for someday/maybe items that you want to look at later on. He didn't go into what to do with the numbered files at all. If that particular tip is in the book, either I don't remember it or it didn't make enough sense to me at the time to apply it; when I read GTD, it was the first idea I actually applied to my current situation.

So I'm going to say the two may be cousins or even brothers, but they are certainly not the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by pageta

So I'm going to say the two may be cousins or even brothers, but they are certainly not the same thing.
          No, they are not. One is a guy who has a consistent message of his own, and the other is a guy who tells other people's stories for a living. Millions of people have enjoyed "Chicken Soup for XXX" but they are, at best, derivative. My $0.02, of course.

Comment

Well, upon further examination of The Success Principles, Jack Canfield does list Getting Things Done by David Allen as a recommended book for further reading.

Jack Canfield talks about how he reads an entire book every two days or something like that. The Success Principles did seem to me to be a compilation of the best ideas he has come across in all of his reading and the principles that he personally uses. I highly enjoyed the book. He explained a lot of things I had read elsewhere in terms I was finally able to understand and put into practice.

On an amusing side note, if that is all of GTD that he personally uses, it obviously isn't much.

And it might be a good idea if he gave more credit than he did in his book for where the ideas came from. On the other hand, once you learn something and put it into practice, it does somewhat become your own so it might be hard to always give credit where credit may be due. Intellectual property isn't always black and white...

Comment

For what it's worth, most of the stories in the Chicken Soup books are submitted by independent contributors who are both paid and credited.

Also for what it's worth, GTD itself owes a lot to earlier time management systems. There have been very few truly original ideas since Homer (maybe).

Katherine

Comment

Just a side-note, but the Ticker File idea is pretty old. A lot of people (well, mainly secretaries) were doing it long before GTD came on the scene.

Also, the idea of lists, weekly reviews, someday/maybes, waiting for, etc. have also been around for a very long time.

What David did really well was using his experience, took all these ideas and put them into a collaborative system.

Comment

Working...
                X