Forum

• If you are new to these Forums, please take a moment to register using the fields above.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Setting up Evernote

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setting up Evernote

I saw references to Evernote here in this forum, so I decided to give it a try.

Question for people already using Evernote:

Did you delete the standard categories in the left side pane and create new ones?

What new categories did you create?

Thanks.

I've been using Evernote to capture web pages, etc, for ages. But I've been using it as a collection box, and have failed to use it effectively as a reference tool.

I'd like to know how to use it effectively and process the items in it.

Trisha

Comment

I posted it about it here . There's more discussion about using categories here .

Basically, I use a couple of templates (Project Outline and GTD To Do (with dates)) for project administration. The remainder of the notes can take any form.

In addition, I make use of several keywords, such as @next, @calendar, @waiting, @postpone, etc. Then, I set up a few keyword categories in a category called GTD, e.g.,

- GTD
      - @next <== filter for keyword @next
      - @calendar <== filter for keyword @calendar
      - @[ ] <== filter for this keyword
      indicates I want to put something into Outlook but haven't yet.
      - @[x] <== filter for this keyword
      indicates that this has been put into Outlook

So, let's say I have a next action that belongs to a particular project. I navigate to that project's category (every project gets a category), and find the GTD To Do (with dates) template note that I have going. Each NA gets a line in this template. In the GTD column, I put @next @[ ] right away. This means it's something I want to do, and it's something I want to put into Outlook so that it gets synced with my palm. Then, I move over to Outlook, enter the NA as a task, move back to EverNote and put an x in the @[ ]. Now I know that NA has been captured not only in EverNote, but also in Outlook.

Of course, I have NAs in EverNote that haven't migrated to Outlook; that just means that they're things that I could be working on right now for the project, but for whatever reason, I'm not ready to put them into Outlook.

I also make heavy use of the Category intersection panel, especially for weekly review, or just narrowing down what needs to be done in a specific project. See the second post listed above for screenshots.

Comment

Thanks GTD Wannabe! That was very helpful.

Comment

Working...
        X