Forum

• If you are new to these Forums, please take a moment to register using the fields above.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

thinking about going to the Roadmap.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thinking about going to the Roadmap.

The Roadmap is coming to Los Angeles and I am thinking of going.

I am new to this GTD stuff this week actually and my book is coming from Amazon. Do you guys think that the Roadmap is helpful without completely reading the book? I dont want to miss an opportunity of going to this event as well.

thanks.

Do It!

I would highly recommend going. I went to the Boston RoadMap back in September. It was a great mix of fresh GTD ideas and old standby fundamentals.

They handed out a paperback version of David's book along with a dense seminar workbook. Not the only reason to go, but could influence your Amazon purchase.

I've seen DA twice live. Well worth it!

Mark

Comment

but I haven't done any of his stuff yet, is it too much too soon?

Comment

It looks like the one day seminar is $600.
        So it ain't cheap.
        Weren't the last seminars a couple hundred bucks?

I wouldn't go for that price.
        Last edited by CosmoGTD; 04-01-2006, 04:03 AM.

Comment

I would say it depends a lot on your finances. If the $600 is not a huge deal to you, I could easily see getting a lot more out of it than the money and time you put in. (But I would definitely get the book in advance and go through the initial processing completely--you'll get more out of any seminar on any subject if the basic ideas aren't new to you.)

If the money is a stretch, you can find a lot of fantastic resources for free or virtually free. There are many GTD discussions on the Web. You could even get a few friends and/or co-workers together to do a study group.

You learn GTD by *doing* GTD. But if you have the resources, seminars can be a fun way to get energized. And $600 is not a lot of money to pick up even one really solid lifetime habit, which I think is very possible.

Comment

i do accounting and am at wits end, I am willing to try this if it will help, the money is important to me, but so is going forward.

thanks for the tips, I think I will try it.

Comment

When is the seminar scheduled? If you can possibly devote some serious time this weekend (or this week if you have flexibility at work for such things) to doing the initial GTD implementation, it will definitely pay off.

I hope you report back and let us know your thoughts!

Comment

the seminar is on Fri., i am flipping some work and other stuff so i can go to this, now that I have committed myself.

Comment

Please come back afterwards and let us know what you think!

Comment

Inspiration, motivation and some basic knowledge to implement GTD.

Originally posted by CosmoGTD
                    I don't know, I'll be honest here. I think $600 is a lot for a one-day GTD seminar. Again, being honest, in my opinion there is no way that a short one-day seminar is going to facilitate implementing the entire GTD process.
                    Have you ever attended any GTD seminar?

Attending such event may give an inspiration, motivation and some basic knowledge to implement GTD.

Comment

Originally posted by TesTeq
                      Have you ever attended any GTD seminar?

Attending such event may give an inspiration, motivation and some basic knowledge to implement GTD.
                      Have you? If you would like to go then knock yourself out!

I have attended many general seminars in the past. Most seminars are vastly overpriced to maximize income for the speaker.
                      I am giving my viewpoint that its not worth $600 to me, plus travel and hotel. I don't need to spend over $1,000 and lose work for that.

Motivation and inspiration are ephemeral and very short-term, and the generalized seminar industry is greatly overpriced, except for highly specialized or technical areas, or related to specialized professional interpersonal networking.
                      Last edited by CosmoGTD; 04-01-2006, 04:12 AM.

Comment

It can change your life.

Originally posted by CosmoGTD
                        Motivation and inspiration are ephemeral and very short-term, and the generalized seminar industry is greatly overpriced, except for highly specialized or technical areas, or related to specialized professional interpersonal networking.
                        I would not neglect the inspirational and motivational impact of personal contact with GTD guru. It can change your life (but of course nothing is guaranteed).

I attended several business seminars that were not very useful. But - rather expensive - "Influence Exerting Theory" seminar by Piotr Tymochowicz was a real eye-opener which significantly influenced my life.

So, kermalou, be an active participant of the seminar and do enjoy it. Do not allow the negative thinking to waste your money ($600).

Comment

the seminar is next to my place, so no travel expenses.

just want to hear from people that have gone.

Comment

Some useful links for you.

Here are some useful links for you:

http://ideamatt.blogspot.com/2005/09...s-roadmap.html

http://buzzmodo.typepad.com/buzznova..._road_map.html

http://pointreyes.net/notes/gtd/

I hope you'll enjoy reading.

Comment

I've found some seminars a complete waste of oxygen and cells, and others to be life-changing. I've heard good things about DA in person.

Really looking forward to your report!

Comment

Working...
                              X