Forum

  • If you are new to these Forums, please take a moment to register using the fields above.
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Any Christians who've read GTD? Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Any Christians who've read GTD?

    I have a serious GTD-related question for genuine born-again Christians here.

    If you are not a Christian or you consider yourself to be a Christian but do not have a personal relationship with Jesus, please don't answer. Thank you for your understanding.

    I just learned about GTD this weekend through websites and blogs. I've considered reading the book but David's use of phrases like "mind like water" and the Zen references have turned me off.

    Let me explain why. About 5 years ago my favorite music group played techno music -- almost no words, but many of the words they used were out of the Bible. But they were heavy into Kabalah, that strange demonic mix of Judasim and mysticism. I didn't think much of it because I wasn't being discerning of what I was listening to, but one day God convicted me about it and I stopped listening. IMMEDIATELY my spirit brightened. About a week later I felt about 2x better.

    I am utterly convinced that there is a spirit behind everything, influencing you positively or negatively. It has far more to do with mere words, because most of those songs had either one or two generic words (repeated often), a few Bible verses, or no words at all. It was the spirit behind the music that was getting to me.

    So when I encountered these Zen-like phrases in reference to GTD immediately my antennas went up. But I still want to read and recommend the book to other people for it's core concepts.

    My questions to you:
    * In David's GTD book, do you recall reading much spiritual information? Could you please type it in here?
    * Do you think there is an eastern religious theme to the book?
    * What is your overall impression?


    The good news is GTD actually led me to rejoicing. The concepts are indeed religiously-neutral and I rejoiced on Sunday morning for God handing me such wisdom that I could apply to life and stop procrastinating and be effective for His kingdom in ways that bring Him glory and me satisfaction. I rejoiced! It gave me such joy because my TODO items had grown stale and I knew I could be more effective but didn't know how.

    And I'd read enough information online to learn how to apply GTD without actually reading the book. But as I said I want to read it for more information AND I want to help other people. I want to host a GTD workshop at work and teach everyone about it and point them to the book, but I couldn't do that right now, my conscience wouldn't let me.

    Would *love* your discerning feedback. Thanks.



    Again if you are not a Christian or you consider yourself to be a Christian but do not have a personal relationship with Jesus, please don't answer. I only want the input of genuine brothers and sisters right now. Thank you very much for your understanding.

  • #2
    I am a Christian. I have read the book. There is nothing in the book or related works that is remotely religious. He makes comparisons to martial arts and getting things down on paper so your mind is not cluttered with thought. I see nothing that a Christian would find a problem with.

    Comment


    • #3
      Wow...

      CD,
      Yes, I am a Christian, but judging by your loaded buzzwords- we probably are not the same flavor of "Christian." there are lots of notes from great wisdom literature in GTD. its inspiring qoutes like that are what I love. and yes the book is influenced by eastern thought and spirituality. I dont take any offense at all by the spiritual claims. it is this specific aspect that I think really draws people to GTD. All in all I dont think that David's spiritual claims (not that I can ever speak for someone else...) are in anyway much different than the "spirituality" of the 7 Habits of Highly Effective People. We are all spirits that are in some way moving to a greater destiny. this crosses all boundaries of faiths and borders.

      CD, a great starting point in understanding Zen principles and how they are alike to Christianity would be a book called Living Buddha, Living Christ written by Thich Nhat Hanh. Hanh was a great friend of Thomas Merton the Trappist Monk. I highly recommend you check out the book.

      I would be open to continue talking more about this.
      -Erik

      Comment


      • #4
        What's your problem with "mind like water"?

        Originally posted by cdevidal
        If you are not a Christian or you consider yourself to be a Christian but do not have a personal relationship with Jesus, please don't answer.
        ...
        Again if you are not a Christian or you consider yourself to be a Christian but do not have a personal relationship with Jesus, please don't answer. I only want the input of genuine brothers and sisters right now.
        I am sure that Jesus was not saying to non-Christians: "please don't answer". If you have a personal relationship with Him, he should have told you so.

        Originally posted by cdevidal
        I've considered reading the book but David's use of phrases like "mind like water" and the Zen references have turned me off.
        What's your problem with "mind like water"?

        What other Zen references have you found in the book that you haven't read?

        Comment


        • #5
          [Struggles to come up with a reply which would not be deliberately antagonistic. Fails. Writes long post anyway. Thinks better of it and deletes.]

          "I do not feel obliged to believe that the God who has endowed us with wisdom and intellect expects us to forgo their use." -- Galileo Galilei.

          Katherine

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by cdevidal
            I just learned about GTD this weekend through websites and blogs. I've considered reading the book but David's use of phrases like "mind like water" and the Zen references have turned me off.
            I recommend the book

            Beside Still Waters: Jews, Christians, and the Way of the Buddha (Paperback)
            by Linda Klepinger Keenan (Author), Harold Kasimow (Author), Jack Miles (Author), John Keenan (Editor)

            where you will find interesting and informative essays by Jews and Christians with a variety of informed perspectives.

            Originally posted by cdevidal
            But they were heavy into Kabalah, that strange demonic mix of Judasim and mysticism.
            Now this is offensive, although I assume out of ignorance and parochialism rather than malice. Kabalah is an authentic branch of Jewish mysticism, and the dominant form for hundreds of years. I know vulgarizations have appeared in popular culture, but even the ones that are scams are no worse than other scams appearing in other religious traditions, e.g., selling "cures" and "blessings". However, to say that Kabalah is demonic is similar to saying that the writings of Saint Teresa of Avila or John of the Cross were demonic. A nice recent introduction to the Zohar, the principal Kaballistic text, was written by the scholar Arthur Green. I strongly recommend the brief, easy book Jewish Spirituality : A Brief Introduction for Christians by Lawrence Kushner.
            Last edited by mcogilvie; 09-20-2006, 08:17 AM.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by TesTeq
              I am sure that Jesus was not saying to non-Christians: "please don't answer".
              Actually there were no Christians during Jesus time therefore no non-Christians.

              First, let's not get into a religious debate here. We don't want another thread shut down abruptly.

              I also gather that cdevidal is a rather by the book Christian, the question is basically, does GTD conflict with my faith. Valid question although I agree with TesTeq in that I don't see what issue there could be with mind like water.
              Last edited by Max; 09-20-2006, 08:21 AM. Reason: typo

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by TesTeq
                I am sure that Jesus was not saying to non-Christians: "please don't answer". If you have a personal relationship with Him, he should have told you so.
                I'm afraid I don't understand your question. Could you please rephrase it?


                Originally posted by TesTeq
                What's your problem with "mind like water"?
                See the post above, I listed why (spirit behind the book).


                Originally posted by TesTeq
                What other Zen references have you found in the book that you haven't read?
                I haven't read the book, which is why I'm asking.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Max
                  First, let's not get into a religious debate here. We don't want another thread shut down abruptly.
                  Right. I asked, very politely, twice, that non-Christians please excuse themselves.

                  If you want to debate Christianity, please go to CARM.org and click the Forums link on the right-hand side where I engage in debate all the time. You can ask me there.


                  Originally posted by Max
                  I also gather that cdevidal is a rather by the book Christian, the question is basically, does GTD conflict with my faith. Valid question although I agree with TesTeq in that I don't see what issue there could be with mind like water.
                  It's about discernment! GTD itself doesn't conflict with my faith, the question was does the book itself (not the concepts) list too many eastern-religious concepts (higher consciousness, Zen, etc.) to be in conflict with my conscience.

                  That's all.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by kewms
                    [Struggles to come up with a reply which would not be deliberately antagonistic. Fails. Writes long post anyway. Thinks better of it and deletes.]
                    Thank you, Katherine, for refraining.

                    If you'd like to debate Christianity, please join in in the CARM.org forums.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by mcogilvie
                      Now this is offensive, although I assume out of ignorance and parochialism rather than malice.
                      I mean no malice, but I stand by my belief that mysticism of any kind, even mixed with Judaism, is demonic.

                      If you would like to discuss this further, please join me in the CARM.org forums.

                      Thank you.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Max
                        I am a Christian. I have read the book. There is nothing in the book or related works that is remotely religious. He makes comparisons to martial arts and getting things down on paper so your mind is not cluttered with thought. I see nothing that a Christian would find a problem with.
                        Thanks, Max.

                        Could you please type in a few quotes?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          End Of Message.

                          Originally posted by cdevidal
                          I'm afraid I don't understand your question. Could you please rephrase it?
                          As far as I know Jesus was ready to talk to everybody - not just to His followers.

                          Originally posted by Max
                          First, let's not get into a religious debate here. We don't want another thread shut down abruptly.
                          You're right.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by cdevidal
                            Thank you, Katherine, for refraining.

                            If you'd like to debate Christianity, please join in in the CARM.org forums.
                            Christianity (or any other religious belief, including atheism) is a matter of faith, not reason. Faith is, by definition, a very personal thing. So I don't find debate over matters of faith to be a productive use of my time.

                            Katherine

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by gtderik
                              Yes, I am a Christian, but judging by your loaded buzzwords- we probably are not the same flavor of "Christian."
                              I want to hear the opinions of genuinely born-again Christians like Jesus said in John 3. If you are one, please reply. If not, please excuse yourself.

                              Nothing against you (or ANYONE who isn't born-again), it's just that, from what I can tell from Scripture, those who have not been born again as it says in John 3 don't (can't) think with God's heart and mind, the God of the Bible. So I want to hear from people who are, like David, after God's own heart. The God who wrote the Bible.

                              Thanks for your understanding.


                              Originally posted by gtderik
                              there are lots of notes from great wisdom literature in GTD. its inspiring qoutes like that are what I love. and yes the book is influenced by eastern thought and spirituality.
                              That's what I was afraid of.

                              Could someone please quote those places?


                              Originally posted by gtderik
                              All in all I dont think that David's spiritual claims (not that I can ever speak for someone else...) are in anyway much different than the "spirituality" of the 7 Habits of Highly Effective People.
                              The "spirituality" of that book comes from a Mormon so I don't trust it, either.

                              I am only interested in seeking wisdom that doesn't confront/conflict with the Bible, so while I don't have a problem with the concepts in GTD, I also don't want to be influenced by David's words if he's coming from an eastern religion background.

                              As I mentioned above, I've had a bad experience with that.


                              Originally posted by gtderik
                              I would be open to continue talking more about this.
                              Would you please send me an email? Chris (AT) deVidal (DOT) tv. You will get an automatic reply, click the link.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X