Forum

• If you are new to these Forums, please take a moment to register using the fields above.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Link next action with project?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Link next action with project?

I just finished reading GTD and now I want to implement it. I would like to start off using plain text files--I think this will give me the flexibility to adapt and evolve the system to fit me until I "get it." At that point, I'll probably want to write a web-based software system for it.

Here's my first question: If I keep lists of next actions grouped by context, do I need to "link" the next action to its project (or outcome)?

Thanks!

Re: Linking Next Actions to Projects

Here's my first question: If I keep lists of next actions grouped by context, do I need to "link" the next action to its project (or outcome)?
    You don't need to. Normally, you will just remember the next action for a project or the project to which a next action relates. It will probably just end up being a bunch of extra typing for you.

You might want to take a look at the discussion under the topic "3 Ring Binder Sections (100% Paper)" below. It covers a lot of the same ground. The tail end of this reply might be useful:

http://www.davidco.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1981#1981

Comment

Link or Not Link

Although the book says that you do not need to, I choose to link my next actions to projects where applicable. If your using a paper based or Palm system, this can tricky. However, I'm using a PocketPC and have had no issues doing this. When doing my reviews I look at all the next actions related to each project and make my changes accordingly. I then look at my next actions not related to a project. When I'm done, I filter on my context list and all my next actions (linked and not linked) show up.

Comment

Dayne,
        How do you accomplish this linking when using the PPC?

Comment

Yes, how please?

I'm dying to know. Might be worth changing digital formats just to be able to do that!

Thanks!

Comment

Multiple Catergories

PocketPCs by default allow for multiple catergories and do not have the 15 catergory limit. I use PocketInformant to pull it all together, but you could still implement GTD without it.
            If you at all familiar with Outlook, then you already have a good understanding on how to use the multiple catergory feature using a PPC. When you create your task, appointment, etc just select CATERGORY and choose the one that apply. I have one catergory for every project name and one for each @ Context. This way you have the luxury of viewing you next actions by @Context and by project name.

Hope that helps. It works for me.

Comment

it's now possible on a palm w/outlook also

Key suite from Chapura --syncs w/Outlook and allows multiple categories per item . www.chapura.com

Beyond contacts from Dataviz does this also. Key suite seems better designed (just my opinion)

Paul

Comment

Palm + software

Yes, i realize that is possible on a Palm but it requires the purchase of additional software. Part of the reason I stopped using a Palm is that I kept having to add software to get some of the functionality I wanted out of a PDA. However, I will state that the choice of PDA is a personal decision. It will be different for everyone.

Comment

Yes I know --I was posting for the sake of those already using a palm.
                  But when I had a ppc --I had to add pocket informant to get the functionality out of the pda that I wanted

Key suite is definitely no PI

I've read on the PI forum that the developer would consider a palm version if he can do a complete version and not partial.

Comment

Working...
                  X