Forum

• If you are new to these Forums, please take a moment to register using the fields above.
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Paid bills and filing question Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paid bills and filing question

I am trying to find out how other people deal with filing (if they do) their paid bills. Also which bills they may keep and for how long. Right now I keep all my paid bills - credit cards, car insurance, life insurance, phone, cell phone, utilities, etc. Obviously this is huge amounts of paper.

Some of it has value - there are business calls or purchases with credit cards which i can deduct on taxes. Some of it I keep because I don't know why. I don't know if I would ever need it. It is just a habit that has grown over the years.....fueled by uncertainty (mighten I need this some day). So I lean towards holding rather than throwing.

Any thoughts

Thanks in advance

Toss 'em

I try to follow this principle: "When it doubt, throw it out. If the document is really important, someone, somewhere else in the world has a copy."

Like you, I used to keep a record of all my paid bills. However, I pay them through Quicken, so I have a record of payment there. In the last several years, I can't remember a single time I have ever referred to the paper copy of the paid bill.

Toss 'em.

Comment

Alternatively, if you can't bring yourself to just toss your old bills, but you don't reference them very often, don't spend a lot of time and effort filing them. Get a box or something and just toss them in there. Date the box when you start it, and when it gets full, date it again. Yeah, you'll have to go through a lot to find something, but you'll likely spend more time, space, and energy setting up and filing them neatly than you would looking for something later on.

Comment

Another quick solution is to invest in a cheap scanner and simply scan the bill in right before you toss it. Adds a few seconds (it takes about as long as a slower copy machine), but worth it if tossing the paper gives you angst.

Comment

Here is the routine I use:
          1. I have a folder labeled for each bill (Telephone, Visa, Discover, Power, etc.)
          2. I have a folder for credit card slips that have not been billed.
          3. On a daily basis I put any credit card slips accumulated into the folder mentioned in #2. If I am going to be able to use that receipt as a tax dedcution, I write "TAX" on it before putting it in the folder. (I may also write a quick note on it so I will know why it was tax deductible.)
          4. As bills come, I toss them in the tickler folder for the upcoming weekend. That way I get the checkbook out 1 time and writes all of the checks at one sitting.
          5. As I am paying credit card bills, I pull the receipts which match those particular bills. I separate any slips marked "TAX" into one stack. They go into a folder marked "Income Tax 2004" (which will be emptied, sorted, and organized when it comes tax time. The other receipts are stapled to the part of the bill which I keep (the part that lists the itemized charges).
          6. The bill is filed in the back of the appropriate folder. (Visa, Telephone, etc.)

Every couple of years, I will purge that filing cabinet and move any of the folders containing bills older than a year to a footlocker in the garage. At that time, I also throw away the oldest bills from the footlocker. Generally, I wind up keeping bills, recipts, and checks 7-10 years.

Comment

A strange occurrence years ago now has me keeping bill statements indefinitely. Bought a bed from Macy's, which I returned due to profoundly poor craftsmanship (sag central). They came and picked it up, and the next month's bill reflected the 4-figure credit. 5 years later, I get a bill, with the charge reinstated. If I hadn't kept that credit-proof statement (then, a result of my "piles" syndrome), I'd have had a serious problem.

I've had the full Adobe Acrobat product since version 3 (now at 6; I stopped at 5), and that version is fine for this purpose (read: get it for minimum bucks). I now scan all statements into Acrobat (File -- Import), using a simplistic electronic filing scheme (2003/Accounts/Creditors/AmEx_2003.pdf, 2003/Accounts/Professional/Licenses-Pa_2003.pdf, etc). That, in turn, allowed me to declutter the basement, as I no longer needed all the file cabinets. Once a year, post-tax time, I move it all to a CD.

FWIW, I already had a multi-function machine, with an auto-doc feeder. This system worked so well, then I added a cheap flat-bed scanner, for receipts. Bonus: tax-time is no longer the huge pain in the skleeboop it once was! Acrobat allows me to yellow-highight line items, perfect for creating a no-fuss tax-deductible trail. Incidentally, scanning the OLLLLLDDDDD bill statements? One of my "someday maybe" tasks, which the GTD system coerced me into tackling, once and for all.

---
            dpg

Comment

Working...
            X