Forum

• If you are new to these Forums, please take a moment to register using the fields above.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to do with...?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do with...?

What do I do with miscellaneous ideas/notes to myself? I know I want to process them out of "in," but into what? Here are a couple of items that are currently on my in "list":

Mom wants a denim apron that goes over her shoulders and not around her neck. (gift idea)

1 Thess. 5:18 "this is the will of God" - from Kate Estes' blog (not sure what I want to do with this - add it to my Bible notes, blog about it myself, something; it just caught my attention)

What do I do with this kind of "stuff" - how do I make it not "stuff" anymore?

Originally posted by A2JC4life View Post
    Mom wants a denim apron that goes over her shoulders and not around her neck. (gift idea)
    For me, I have a Note in outlook, linked to my Blackberry, obviously, which is titled, you guessed it - "Gift Ideas"
    In the "notes" section of the Note I would have:

Wife:
    - gift 1
    - gift 2
    - gift 3

Mom
    - denim apron that goes over her shoulders and not around her neck
    - gift 2

1 Thess. 5:18 "this is the will of God" - from Kate Estes' blog (not sure what I want to do with this - add it to my Bible notes, blog about it myself, something; it just caught my attention)
    For quotes, I use Google Notebook. It's great for this use. It's also good for bits of information you find online - which you'd like to keep. You should check it out.

Hope that helps!!!

Ryan

Comment

work the process

My suggestion is to work the GTD process. Mom's apron - is this actionable? If yes, then it becomes a Project with a Next Action like "look for apron" in @Errands or "draw pattern for apron" in @Home. If it isn't actionable yet, then it can go into Someday/Maybe. I have a gifts section there that is organized by person. It hold all sorts of random ideas of things they've said as well as stuff I've come up with on my own. When the big day rolls around, I will see it in my Weekly Review and move it into the Project/Next Action live portion of my lists.

Making a subdivided Someday/Maybe was one of the best things I have ever done. It really helps with keeping a clear mind. Things are safely captured, but not weighing on me because I haven't committed to them yet. I highly encourage you to make your own subcategories, but here are some of mine:

BUY
      FIND
      giving_GIFTS
      giving_VOLUNTEER
      learning_BOOKS TO READ
      learning_RECIPES
      learning_SKILLS
      OFFICE
      writing_BOOKS
      writing_SMALL PROJECTS

Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Moehring View Post
        ... but here are some of mine:

BUY
        FIND
        giving_GIFTS
        giving_VOLUNTEER
        learning_BOOKS TO READ
        learning_RECIPES
        learning_SKILLS
        OFFICE
        writing_BOOKS
        writing_SMALL PROJECTS

Scott
        Very cool! Thanks.

Comment

I use a simple formatted text file for capturing all kind of information like this. I've set up a few macros to make capture and time-stamping very fast, and I have a basic search facility (including Wiki-style tags) that helps me find information when I need it. More at
          Pickle jars, text files, and creative idea capture, if you're interested.
          Last edited by cornell; 06-21-2007, 05:07 AM. Reason: fixed url

Comment

Originally posted by cornell View Post
            I use a simple formatted text file for capturing all kind of information like this. I've set up a few macros to make capture and time-stamping very fast, and I have a basic search facility (including Wiki-style tags) that helps me find information when I need it. More at
            Pickle jars, text files, and creative idea capture, if you're interested.

Great blogs. It was usefull fo rme. Nice tricky macro stuff. I need it too now

Thanks
            Charlene
            Last edited by lightson; 06-25-2007, 10:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X