Forum

• If you are new to these Forums, please take a moment to register using the fields above.
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
What to do during breaks Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do during breaks

What do you guys do while you want to take a 5-10 minute break from work. I'm a student and follow the recommendation to study in blocks of 20-50 minutes with 5-10 minute breaks. I usually go for 45-50 minutes, then take a 5-10 minute break, but I usually find myself walking around thinking, "hmmm... this is interesting, there's nothing to do..." My question is, what do some of you do if you ever take 5-10 minute breaks?

stretch
    play with the cats
    get something to drink (preferably water or juice)
    get a light snack
    sort through the (paper) mail
    load or unload the dishwasher
    sort or fold laundry
    take a walk
    make a social phone call

The key for me is to do something physical--so surfing the Internet doesn't count--that isn't too mentally demanding.

Katherine

Comment

Exercise: hand weights, yoga stretches, anything that gets the body moving and provides a complete distraction from brain work.

Comment

@Home.2Minutes

I've blogged about 15 habits that you can develop to fill exactly such pauses. Please find the list here: http://www.evomend.net/en/home-2minu...new-habits-you.

Comment

Originally posted by Rolf F. Katzenberger View Post
          I've blogged about 15 habits that you can develop to fill exactly such pauses. Please find the list here: http://www.evomend.net/en/home-2minu...new-habits-you.
          Nice list. I would add

Put one DVD back in its case.

Michael

Comment

Done

Originally posted by mmurray View Post
            Nice list. I would add

Put one DVD back in its case.

Michael
            Thanks, Michael!

Comment

Great list! A few more suggestions:
              • Meditate
              • Brainstorm on another project
              • Think up ten questions about something (birds, house building, wood; whatever)
              • Observe your work from a higher level. Is it useful? How useful? Could you be doing it better?

Comment

Meditate 2 Minutes?

Originally posted by Brent View Post
                Great list! A few more suggestions:
                • Meditate
                That one sounds incredible: is there a way of meditation that specializes on 2 minutes or less per session? I'd be very interested to link to it on the @Home.2Minutes list!

Rolf

Comment

There's no specific meditation system I know of that specializes in two-minute increments, but I certainly do it.

Imagine a particular object. Choose something simple and calming, like a candle flame or a wooden box (or nothing at all). Try to think only about that object. As other thoughts surface, re-center your mind on that object.

Or, look at everything around you. Don't categorize it or label it, just look at it. Experience it. Pretend you're an alien who's never seen anything like it.

The human mind loves cataloging things. It looks at a bird and says, "That's a bird." Ignore that categorization and look at it as a creature. What is it doing right now? Why? What might it do next?

Comment

Here are some of mine:

Drink a glass of water
                    Go for a walk
                    Do a headstand or shoulder stand - this gets the juices flowing - you probably shouldn't try this unless you do yoga or gymnastics
                    Organize a drawer
                    Water a plant
                    Floss my teeth

Comment

Originally posted by Rolf F. Katzenberger View Post
                      is there a way of meditation that specializes on 2 minutes or less per session?
                      Simply counting the breath can be practiced for 2 minutes.

http://www.mro.org/zmm/teachings/meditation.php

- Don

Comment

Put my feet up and read in my current recreational book.

Comment

This leaves just enough time for a quickie!

Comment

Added!

@Brent: thanks for your pictured explanation - added your suggestions to the list.

@darlakbrown: copied 4 of your ideas to the list, thanks!

@dschaffner: added. Thanks for the nice link!
                            Last edited by Rolf F. Katzenberger; 09-19-2007, 04:40 AM. Reason: extended

Comment

According to Neil Fiore, even just switching to a different, less demanding form of work could serve as a good break from the main task and a way to refresh and reset your mind.

Comment

Working...
                              X