Forum

• If you are new to these Forums, please take a moment to register using the fields above.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mac Software that works with GTD

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you upgrade to Leopard, the newest incarnation of the operating system you gain a new feature.

Calendar Events and Tasks are shared throughout the operating system and can be accessed in more than one place.

If you make a To Do item in iCal, that item also shows up in a special folder in Mail. In Mail, you can highlight any item in an email or a Note (see below for an explanation of Notes) and click on a button and it turns that highlight into a To Do item that shows up both in the To Do Folder in Mail and in the Task List in iCal.

Mail also has a new feature called Notes. Basically, a yellow pad that you can type things on that are stored in a special folder. You can email notes and/or save them in Mail as reference documents or reminders.

Notes works with To Do items as well. Therefore, you can create a Note for each project and list the action steps for it. Then, you can highlight the item representing the first step and turn it into a To Do item that will show up in iCal, assigned to any Calendar you want.

If you use dummy calendars in iCal to create the effect of Categories, you can select the Calendar you want the task to show up in easily.

For example. If I have a project "Teach Jim to Fly," I can create a note with that as a heading. Then, I can list the action items like "Call Jim to set up meeting" on that Note. If I highlight that item and click on a button, Mail will turn that into a To Do item. I can then select what Calender in iCal it will show up on (in this case my @Calls Calendar).

In this way your Project List is in Mail in the Notes folder, while your Context Lists are in both Mail (in the To Do folder) and iCal (as Tasks).

Therefore, it becomes easy to view your tasks by context (looking at the appropriate Calendar) or by Project (by looking at the Note).

As most GTD software involves somehow integrating and linking Tasks on the Context Lists with Projects, simply doing this using Leopard creates that identical functionality with no additional software.

Best wishes,
    Scot Giles

Comment

Originally posted by CSGiles View Post
      If you upgrade to Leopard, the newest incarnation of the operating system you gain a new feature.

Calendar Events and Tasks are shared throughout the operating system and can be accessed in more than one place.

If you make a To Do item in iCal, that item also shows up in a special folder in Mail. In Mail, you can highlight any item in an email or a Note (see below for an explanation of Notes) and click on a button and it turns that highlight into a To Do item that shows up both in the To Do Folder in Mail and in the Task List in iCal.

Mail also has a new feature called Notes. Basically, a yellow pad that you can type things on that are stored in a special folder. You can email notes and/or save them in Mail as reference documents or reminders.

Notes works with To Do items as well. Therefore, you can create a Note for each project and list the action steps for it. Then, you can highlight the item representing the first step and turn it into a To Do item that will show up in iCal, assigned to any Calendar you want.

If you use dummy calendars in iCal to create the effect of Categories, you can select the Calendar you want the task to show up in easily.

For example. If I have a project "Teach Jim to Fly," I can create a note with that as a heading. Then, I can list the action items like "Call Jim to set up meeting" on that Note. If I highlight that item and click on a button, Mail will turn that into a To Do item. I can then select what Calender in iCal it will show up on (in this case my @Calls Calendar).

In this way your Project List is in Mail in the Notes folder, while your Context Lists are in both Mail (in the To Do folder) and iCal (as Tasks).

Therefore, it becomes easy to view your tasks by context (looking at the appropriate Calendar) or by Project (by looking at the Note).

As most GTD software involves somehow integrating and linking Tasks on the Context Lists with Projects, simply doing this using Leopard creates that identical functionality with no additional software.

Best wishes,
      Scot Giles

You sir, are a star. Thank you so much for posting this.

Would this work if I bought an iphone? Or is the iphone version stripped down in any way??

Myles

Comment

new feature in Mail

WOW - that sounds very cool... I'm going to be upgrading my PowerBook G4 within the next 6 months, so now besides looking forward to getting the Mac Air, I have this to look forward to as well. Thank you for such a detailed explanation!

Claudia

Comment

There would be no reason to buy an iPhone unless you want one for some other reason.

Notes and Task on the Mac do not sync to the iPhone, so you get the functionality I described only on the Mac running Leopard. To get info from the Mac to the iPhone you have to email it to yourself, and you can do that with any smartphone.

That said, I love my iPhone.

Scot Giles

Comment

Originally posted by Jazzthieves View Post
            Would this work if I bought an iphone? Or is the iphone version stripped down in any way??
            I have leopard at home and work, I have an iPhone, and my wife half believes I have been brainwashed into a cult. But the simple truth is that Apple's tools for elementary calendar and task management did not improve with Leopard, are not well-integrated with the iPhone, and are not very good. The notes and tasks in email idea is prone to duplication, and does not work well when more than one mac is involved. You can read the notes on an iphone if you set things up correctly. I don't use any of this. The calendar app on the iPhone does not fully support multiple calendars, and does not support tasks at all. I use Remember the Milk (RTM), a web 2.0 app for my GTD lists. It's good, flexible, and has a special iPhone web interface. For calendar, I am using iCal, but also routing my calendars through google calendar. I also have ticklers in RTM that show up in iCal and gCal. I hope iCal and iCal/iPhone integration get better, but I don't think it is a priority for Apple. Sorry. The good news is that I love my macs and I love my iPhone.

Comment

I use VoodooPad. Honestly, it's perfect for this and they have a few scripts written to help the process along.

VoodooPad's tagline is 'you put your brain in it'. It's like your own personal wikipedia that you can build with pages that can link to other pages. I also use Leopard's 'Spaces' to clear my desktop when using VoodooPad.

Comment

How do you connect iCal and Google Calendars?

Originally posted by mcogilvie View Post
                For calendar, I am using iCal, but also routing my calendars through google calendar.
                Cheers
                Miriam

Comment

Originally posted by CSGiles View Post
                  This is great! Many thanks. I've just switched to this from OmniFocus. Really like only activating an action step (i.e. turning it into a task) when it's the next action. OminiFoucs does this automatically, but I'm willing to give that up to gain simplicity.

Also, I group projects by client, so I've created a separate Mailbox (folder) for each client under ON MY MAC. In these folders I keep only projects - no mail.

Thanks again,
                  Jon
                  Last edited by jrandall39; 02-03-2008, 09:06 AM.

Comment

New to forum and using GTD with Mac

Hi I'm new here to the forum but I was thrilled to find it. I just discovered the GTD system through listening to the audio tapes and I am so impressed. In terms of using it with a mac, I can tell you that I have been using it very successfully with I CAL the calendar program on the mac os X
                    I have seen a huge change in both my attitude and productivity in less then a week implementing this system in conjunction with ical.

Comment

Originally posted by miriamNZ View Post
                      Cheers
                      Miriam
                      There are several ways to do it. At the level of displaying a gcal/ical calendar in ical/gcal, the basic idea is that either can calendar can export or import a calendar feed that the other can read. Try the gcal help for more info. There are products that aim to do a 2-way sync, but I have no direct experience with them.

Comment

Working...
                      X