Forum

• If you are new to these Forums, please take a moment to register using the fields above.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Incremental start of GTD

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tom Shannon View Post

Different people handle this problem differently. My own answer was to make sure that things on my lists weren't just the ones that were possible but were actually things I might do. These are not the same. There are many possibilities but if I absolutely know there's now way I'm going to get to it anytime soon, I don't want it in front of me.
    Tom,

This paragraph really resonated with me, and with what I've been struggling with recently. My question is, where do you put those NAs that you decide you don't want in front of you because you know you won't get to them anytime soon?

Do they just stay in your someday/maybe list? To me, the fear with this would be that things that were important (but not important right away) would get lost in with things that were much more optional.

Or, do you have a separate list/context for this type of task, so they're still easily accessible if you want them, and when you update your NA lists it's easy to look at those more important tasks in isolation from the someday/maybe and decide which ones to add to your main context lists? This sounds somewhat appealing to me, but I worry that it might be too easy to get in the habit of just overlooking NAs on this list - basically having it end up a place where NAs go to die, or stay until they become too urgent to ignore.

I'm very interested to hear how you manage this!

Karina

Comment

One List, No Differentiation

Originally posted by Karina View Post
      Do they just stay in your someday/maybe list? To me, the fear with this would be that things that were important (but not important right away) would get lost in with things that were much more optional.
      Karina,

FWIW, I'll weigh in and say that I too do what Tom does. I put on my Someday/Maybe list things that I can't commit to doing right now but are none the less important. I don't flag them in any way yet I have no trouble distinguishing them from other things that are nice but not essential.

- Jon

Comment

Originally posted by jrandall39 View Post
        Karina,

FWIW, I'll weigh in and say that I too do what Tom does. I put on my Someday/Maybe list things that I can't commit to doing right now but are none the less important. I don't flag them in any way yet I have no trouble distinguishing them from other things that are nice but not essential.

- Jon
        I do this do, but I separate

@someday: things that I can't commit to doing right now but are none the less important.

from

@ maybe: things that are nice but not essential

Comment

Someday and Maybe!

ScottL, I think you may have just solved a huge problem I've been having with my someday/maybe lists. Wow. Very simple and very powerful.

Comment

Originally posted by ScottL View Post
            I do this do, but I separate

@someday: things that I can't commit to doing right now but are none the less important.

from

@ maybe: things that are nice but not essential
            This is a really good idea.

To answer Karina, I usually put things that I might or might not do on the Someday/Maybe list. I put things which I know I'm going to do in as a tickler to be addressed at a later date. The danger of doing the latter is that you end up just pushing things back and back and back as they pop up. Its a trap unless you actually at some point say, "OK, I've pushed this back three times. Am I going to do it or not?"

I think keeping a Someday list which is reviewed every week instead of keeping such things in ticklers is a good solution as well. I'll consider it.

Tom S

Comment

Working...
            X