Forum

• If you are new to these Forums, please take a moment to register using the fields above.
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
The "Address Book" -- what is your system? Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The "Address Book" -- what is your system?

How do you manage names, addresses and other contact-related info? Do you use a software- or paper-based approach?

Also, can anyone recommend a good (and preferably free) Windows-based address book program? I really need to get a handle on my ever-growing list of contacts! The software should be easy to use and offer the ability to add notes to a contact.

Thanks!

We use Outlook for contacts and that seems to work very well with regards to setting up categories and syncing with our Treos. I know it's not free, though...

Do you have Excel? You could set up a spreadsheet with standard headers like:
    First Name
    Last Name
    Home Phone
    Cell Phone
    Street
    City
    etc...

The nice thing about that is that you can easily import this data into almost any address book that you decide to use in the future. You may need to change a few headers but that's easy, too.

We have imported (and exported) our same address book data in (and out) of many programs (Who-You-Know, ACT, Access, Excel, Outlook...)

Hope that helps...

Comment

One big field

Whatever software you decide to use, I would make one suggestion: Don't use all the various Home number, Home address, whatever fields. Just have a personal "standard" layout and put it all in the Notes field. In general the only fields I fill in (Outlook with Blackberry) is the name field and the Notes field.

The software will still let me search, and it lets me be pretty much software agnostic. I came from another product and could easily move contact data around even though the fields didn't match up... its easy to find a name and notes field.

Comment

Personally, I use a spreadsheet. Very simple and straightforward.

Comment

Mark Hurst says: "avoid using Microsoft Excel for databases".

Originally posted by Brent View Post
          Personally, I use a spreadsheet. Very simple and straightforward.

Originally posted by Mark Hurst "Bit Literacy"
          One common mistake with Excel, however, is to use it as a database. You might as well use Microsoft Word to compose music, or use Outlook to create a slideshow. Excel was built as a spreadsheet, not a database, and so it should be used for calculations, formulas, and the like - but not managing a database.

Comment

Originally posted by TesTeq View Post
            Where did I write that I'm using Microsoft Excel?

Comment

Paper

Having used a few palms and similar devices I ended up going back to a small filofax (looseleaf paper) for this part of my system.

For me, I need my contacts list when I'm "out & about" but have grown to distrust ever-more-complex-but-less-reliable gadgets so I use the address section as a simple paper system.

For my actions & projects however I use my computer, since I'm a programmer and 90% of my contexts are variations on "@computer". Having the paper system I can slot pages into lets me print out my "out & about" contexts during my weekly review & place that in the paper planner to get the best of both worlds.

I've tried to explain my reasons, not just my system, because your situation, how many contacts you have, what info you need about them, and where you need that info, and just how you prefer working will have a big impact on your choice. Perhaps these considerations will spark ideas for you, even if you don't make the same choices.

Comment

outlook with sync. to a cell. phone

I use outlook for my contacts, but I keep it synced with a cell phone. I this way I keep all my contacts with me at all time.

I also sync. my calendar with the cell phone. In my age (50+) where "altzheimer light" starts to kick in I need a beeb, to remind my of imortant tasks and meetings.

Comment

A spreadsheet program.

Where did I write that I'm using Microsoft Excel?
                  You are right. You did not write that you are using Microsoft Excel. You wrote that you are using spreadsheet. Since Microsoft Excel is the most popular spreadsheet program I do not see any incompatiblity between your statement and my comment. But to make it clear I'll modify Mark Hurst's quote for you:

One common mistake with a spreadsheet program, however, is to use it as a database. You might as well use a word processor to compose music, or use a PIM application to create a slideshow. A spreadsheet program was built as a spreadsheet, not a database, and so it should be used for calculations, formulas, and the like - but not managing a database.

Comment

Originally posted by TesTeq View Post
                    But to make it clear I'll modify Mark Hurst's quote for you:
                    (snip)

Why are you so adamant that I get this?

Comment

I have nothing against spreadsheets.

Why are you so adamant that I get this?
                      I have nothing against spreadsheets and I think everybody should use the tools that he likes and is comfortable with.

Thank you for the new word in my vocabulary: "adamant".

Comment

Originally posted by WebMarketer View Post
                        How do you manage names, addresses and other contact-related info? Do you use a software- or paper-based approach?
                        I use Microsoft Outlook and synchronize it with a Palm Tungsten E2.

Originally posted by WebMarketer View Post
                        Also, can anyone recommend a good (and preferably free) Windows-based address book program? I really need to get a handle on my ever-growing list of contacts! The software should be easy to use and offer the ability to add notes to a contact.
                        You already have a free application that can do this: The Windows Address Book, which I also believe is used by Outlook Express, another freebie. If you don't like these applications, you can download the Palm Desktop application (available at palmOne.com) for free, which is useful even if you don't own a Palm. They all include a "Notes" field in their contacts applications.

Comment

address book to labels

I think that optimally one should also be able to make address labels from the address book.

Comment

I primarily use Outlook as my address book. I do have a Blackberry that I unfortunately cannot sync with my work computer so I utilize that mostly for phone numbers. I don't send work related emails to anyone from my personal email anyway so it's not that big of a problem.

Comment

I have been using Time & Chaos for my address lists. Handles multiple groups, reporting or mail merges. Notes & Tasks can be linked to the contact for a history etc.

Freeware (older version)
                              http://www.timeandchaos.com/chaos32-legacy.html

Low cost latest and greatest
                              http://www.timeandchaos.com/

Very well supported, easy on the resources can sync with pda etc.

Comment

Working...
                              X