Forum

• If you are new to these Forums, please take a moment to register using the fields above.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Students Implementing GTD

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Students Implementing GTD

Has David Allen ever said anything about implementing GTD for college students? On how it could work or may have to be altered?

I'm just beginning my adventure with GTD and am about to enter college. I was looking for a way to be far more productive and streamlined in the way I work than I was in previous years; college being at this point in time the most important part of my life.

Edit:// I found this GTD variation:http://calnewport.com/blog/?p=15 - Any opinions from the hardened GTD veterans around here?
    Last edited by Vexir; 07-18-2008, 04:14 PM.

GTD & Academics

You can check out the GTD and Academics blog I wrote up about a year ago. It describes six unique difficulties for implementing GTD as a student/academic.
    Last edited by Todd V; 08-08-2012, 02:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vexir View Post
      Has David Allen ever said anything about implementing GTD for college students? On how it could work or may have to be altered?

I'm just beginning my adventure with GTD and am about to enter college. I was looking for a way to be far more productive and streamlined in the way I work than I was in previous years; college being at this point in time the most important part of my life.
      The principles should apply no matter what you're doing. You still need to collect stuff, process it, define your commitments, review them weekly, etc.

Edit:// I found this GTD variation:http://calnewport.com/blog/?p=15 - Any opinions from the hardened GTD veterans around here?
      Some aspects are great, but there are a few significant issues.

In particular, "The project scope is insufficient for the needs of a student, as, typically, the first action for the project gets put on the next action list and the project itself isnít visited again for another week." No, in GTD you aren't limited to one action on a Project per week.

The article calls the Tickler "not as relevant to students," which I don't understand. I'd think it's particularly relevant to students, who have a lot of near-future deadlines and would want to be reminded of future work when it's time for it.

The article also states that the "unequivocal" best time for a Weekly Review is Sunday morning. Undoubtedly the best time for the author, but not for everyone. Pick a time that works for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Brent View Post
        In particular, "The project scope is insufficient for the needs of a student, as, typically, the first action for the project gets put on the next action list and the project itself isnít visited again for another week." No, in GTD you aren't limited to one action on a Project per week.

The article calls the Tickler "not as relevant to students," which I don't understand. I'd think it's particularly relevant to students, who have a lot of near-future deadlines and would want to be reminded of future work when it's time for it.

The article also states that the "unequivocal" best time for a Weekly Review is Sunday morning. Undoubtedly the best time for the author, but not for everyone. Pick a time that works for you.

He really does say that about a project being reviewed only once a week. If only it were so easy ("sorry, dear client/professor, I won't be done with this project for you until 13 weeks from now - I have 13 tasks.") . I agree with Brent. In fact, I say that is a really big misunderstanding of GTD.

Re the tickler, there are so many things a student can put in a tickler file: when to begin drafting your thesis, plane tickets home, bills to pay, a note to call grandma, etc

Comment

Funny

Awesome post,Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Working...
          X