Forum

• If you are new to these Forums, please take a moment to register using the fields above.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Birthdays and reoccuring yearly events

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Birthdays and reoccuring yearly events

Does anyone have any tips for the best way of handling these?
    does a perpetual calendar work (seen one on time/design)?
    Notes in a tickler file?
    one long reference list in month order and transfer them over at the weekly check list?

What do you find the best way?

I used to use a palm pilot to do this and found digital storage of recurring events is fantastic - it never misses a beat.

Sadly the old palm moved on and the new ones weren't reliable enough to keep me with them; so I've moved to a paper calendar. What I do though is keep recurring events in a google calendar (and I subscribe to a few other online calendars via that also including one for work); and in my weekly review I copy over the coming few week's events from one to the other. A manual "sync"

Comment

Originally posted by indigodreaming View Post
      What do you find the best way?
      I put both people and major animal birthdays all into my Palm OS Treo cell phone as recurring items. The only thing I have to change is when someone dies it's a bit upsetting to delete the future ones. I see no way around it though. The reminders often occur months after the loss so it can be an emotional whammy to handle them.

Comment

The answer depends on the system you use

My favorite way to handle recurring events by far is my Outlook calendar, which synchronizes to the Palm. I set a reminder alarm to go off a week before such events to trigger reminders about them.

However, if I was using a paper based system, I would probably make a series of reference lists that would contain things of this nature. One list would be birthdays by month. So that I remember to review them regularly, I'll drop a note that reads "review birthdays by month list" in my tickler file at the appropriate intervals, and take the appropriate action when I see it again.

As an aside, let me offer a tip that applies to Outlook users. We all have recurring tasks in our lives--housekeeping and maintenance that needs to be done on a weekly, monthly, quarterly, or yearly basis. I track these items by setting up recurring appointments on my calendar that read "Add [monthly/quarterly/July, etc] action items to Tasks". Inside the notes field, I attach Outlook tasks (they appear as icons with subtitles) that represent these recurring items. When these days arrive, I open the calendar entries and drag the tasks into the Tasks folder. They then show up in the appropriate lists. It's a really elegant solution that has worked well for me.

Best of luck.

Comment

Originally posted by ellobogrande View Post
          As an aside, let me offer a tip that applies to Outlook users. We all have recurring tasks in our lives--housekeeping and maintenance that needs to be done on a weekly, monthly, quarterly, or yearly basis. I track these items by setting up recurring appointments on my calendar that read "Add [monthly/quarterly/July, etc] action items to Tasks". Inside the notes field, I attach Outlook tasks (they appear as icons with subtitles) that represent these recurring items. When these days arrive, I open the calendar entries and drag the tasks into the Tasks folder. They then show up in the appropriate lists. It's a really elegant solution that has worked well for me.
          When I used Outlook, I took advantage of the repeating tasks feature--you can set a task to regenerate itself at regular intervals, either some number of days after completion or at the same time every week/month/year.

Katherine

Comment

Originally posted by kewms View Post
            When I used Outlook, I took advantage of the repeating tasks feature--you can set a task to regenerate itself at regular intervals, either some number of days after completion or at the same time every week/month/year.

Katherine
            I'm not saying this is a bad suggestion, but while recurring calendar entries work well for me, I've never been able to get recurring or regenerating tasks to work right for me; they cause synchronization issues with the Palm.

Additionally, I may not always need to have every one of those recurring tasks added to my list. For example, I have "Clean humidifier" embedded in the "Add weekly action items to Tasks" event on my calendar, but in the summer I'm not using the humidifier so I don't need to clean it.

By attaching these task objects to a calendar object, I have the ability to pick and choose what I want to add each time one shows up.

Comment

I use the Tickler for this.

Comment

I have a recurring Google Calendar event that sends me an email on each birthday (or, for people that I send cards to, one week before). This way I don't have to worry about synchronizing or looking at my calendar ahead of time and remembering ... I get the email and I can then send a birthday note in under two minutes, on the spot.

Comment

Ditto Marina

I was going to post exactly what Marina just posted--Google Calendar is a godsend for this. You can set up a separate calendar just for Birthdays and anniversaries and set its default to whatever notification you'd like. My calendar is set to e-mail me two weeks in advance in case it's someone like a sibling or niece that I need to send a gift to, otherwise when I get the e-mail I snooze the event until the day of so that I remember to send them an e-mail.

Comment

I also want to mention that there is a Facebook application that lets you import a dynamic calendar of your Facebook friends' birthdays as a Google Calendar.

I use Facebook loosely as a networking tool, and this was very convenient for me.

FbCal

Comment

My tips

I take the additional step of putting the year next to the name or the couple so I can figure out how old they are or how many years the anniversary represents.

On my calendar it looks like this:

First Name Last Name 1967
                      Man & Wife Last Name 1988

If I don't know the year, the next time it comes around I ask. I've got the typical reminder set up too, via email as a recurring event on my Yahoo calendar which is excellent by the way.

Comment

Originally posted by Oogiem View Post
                        I put both people and major animal birthdays all into my Palm OS Treo cell phone as recurring items. The only thing I have to change is when someone dies it's a bit upsetting to delete the future ones. I see no way around it though. The reminders often occur months after the loss so it can be an emotional whammy to handle them.

I use a Palm T3 with Datebk6, which uses icons for birthdays, and which takes them from the birthday field in the Contacts database. In this case, I remove the birthday from the contacts database (move it into a spare field), so future birthdays no longer appear (in fact they all disappear from the calendar, even the 'past' ones), and put in a yearly-recurring item with a candle icon, as an 'in memoriam' reminder. I have this now for both my parents. It stops those painful reminders.

DrJoe

Comment

Working...
                        X