Forum

• If you are new to these Forums, please take a moment to register using the fields above.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Battling Overwhelm

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ellobogrande View Post
    If your lists are in fact clean as they should be but you have too many from which to choose, it's time to prune them down to a manageable size. Shuttle some of those projects to your Someday/Maybe list and remove the corresponding next actions from your action lists.
    How do you decide which ones to move to Someday/Maybe, when they all seem important and urgent?

And then, how do you handle your Someday/Maybe list when it grows to the point where IT becomes unmanageable and difficult to review?

Comment

Originally posted by ellobogrande View Post
      Another thing you can do with a large action list to prune it down is to identify actions that would require < 10 minutes to complete. Flag them in some manner and go on a short marathon session and just do them. That cuts the list down to size. I frequently do that with my @Home list; there are over 45 items on it.
      Thanks for your suggestions here.

I've done this kind of thing, and it can help in the short-term. But because this is a chronic problem for me, I need to resort to this kind of thing too often. As a result, I tend to focus on the easy, short things that can be done in < 10 minutes, rather than the sustained work and attention to some matter, that brings the real results that matter.

Comment

How often do you want to review someday/maybe?

It's been mentioned in other places but seems appropriate to add to this discussion as well. If your someday/maybe is getting too unwieldy it may be time to consider splitting it. Some ideas:
        - separate work and personal lists
        - separate someday (definitely will do) and maybe (those bucket list items, for example)
        - separate someday/maybe by Area of Focus
        - separate by how often you want to review (weekly, monthly, quarterly, annually)
        - add a pending or on-hold list as a transistion tool and decide at an upcoming weekly review what needs to happen with it (sort of like tickling it until the next review)

I completely understand overwhelm - both personally and professionally I have a lot going on. My next action and someday/maybe lists are quite long. In my world, if I decide to put a project into someday/maybe that doesn't stop outside forces from raising it back up to a priority. But that's ok - I just go get it from someday/maybe and start working on it again. That's what someday/maybe is for.

But there are some things you do not need to look at every week. If you've got a lot of far future someday/maybes then splitting them off might make those lists smaller. Only you can decide how often you want to see "Buy/build a sauna" or "Rewrite program procedures" given your current workload and relationship to the item.

Play with contexts and frequency of review until you find something that works for you. And expect it to change as your life changes.

Comment

Originally posted by seraphim View Post
          How do you decide which ones to move to Someday/Maybe, when they all seem important and urgent?

And then, how do you handle your Someday/Maybe list when it grows to the point where IT becomes unmanageable and difficult to review?
          If every project is actually important and urgent but you really MUST move some to someday/maybe then flip a coin on each one and move it if the coin is tails. What is likely to happen though is you'll flip a coin on a project and it comes up tails, move to someday, but you say there is no way I can do that because X. Now, you've gained a better understanding of why you need that project in your pile. Some you'll do that and have no problem putting them in someday/maybe. Once you've cut the list of active projects down to about half then really go through each one that is still active and see why and how it is so important. Consider trying to renegotiate some of them to be someone else's project. Hire help to finish some of them or just buckle down and work at it because you over committed initially and now have to pay the piper until you get out from under the snowball.

When someday/maybe list gets too big take time for a more detailed review. Can some of the items be reviewed less often? The big bucket list items that take a lot of money may realistically need to be on hold for several years until loans and credit cards are paid off for example. If that is the case you don't need to review them until those financial obligations are handled so you have the $ to consider adding those projects back in. Change their review date to be once a year or so instead of weekly. Can some of the projects be reduced in scope and still give you the win/positive outcome you need? For example, the "remodel house so we can have more parties with friends" might be reduced in scope to "Make the back yard a comfortable place for BBQ's by building a BBQ pit with additional seating for guests" and that is good enough for you now.

Comment

Originally posted by seraphim View Post
            If they're all equally important and urgent, then you can just pick one at random and do it,
            then immediately do the next one etc., without wasting any time planning or prioritizing. Or you can just choose some at random to move to Someday/Maybe.

You may also want to re-evaluate your priorities. Maybe you can you reduce your
            responsibilities (quit a job, hire a babysitter, delegate work, quit a hobby,
            quit as member of an organization, reduce your hours of work,
            increase your hours of work if you have lots
            you want to get done at work, get other family members to take over more housework, etc.) or stop doing things that used to make sense when you
            used to have more time; e.g. buy meals rather than taking time to cook your
            own, etc.

Taking a deep breath and imagining calmly accepting life without
            getting X done (for each project) might help to clarify priorities. If you don't have time for
            them all, then some will have to be left undone. Try thinking this in
            a calm, accepting manner.

I use my "powers-of-2" system to review some items more often than others.

Comment

Working...
            X