Forum

• If you are new to these Forums, please take a moment to register using the fields above.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Always look at Someday/Maybe?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Always look at Someday/Maybe?

I regularly do my weekly review. Yay me. The non-yay part is that I don't review my someday/maybe's each time. I have a short list of s/m's I call Future S/M that I do scan (thinking about it, I forgot to go through those last time), but I don't go through all the others. This weighs on me. Suddenly I'll think that I should have reviewed them. But, as is mostly the case, I say I'll just do it next weekly review.

Do others always scan their someday/maybe's during the weekly reviews? Can I give myself a little leeway on this?

My Someday/Maybes are looked at...someday maybe. I pretty much know that anything on there isn't going to bite me in the #&%$.

Comment

If you can't remember, put the list in your Tickler for your next review day.

(And no, I don't scan them every time either.)

Katherine

Comment

I will sometimes run out of time and do a way-too-fast scan of the list. Helpful somewhat, but leaves a lot to be desired.

Once I get that gnawing feeling that I'm missing something, I open up my someday/maybe list (whichever day it is) and review it.

Maybe you could schedule a separate day to review the list and/or trust your intuition to motivate you to review the list whenever you feel to.

Comment

Originally posted by kewms View Post
          If you can't remember, put the list in your Tickler for your next review day.

(And no, I don't scan them every time either.)

Katherine
          Oh, I remember...I just don't feel like it most of the time.

Comment

Multi-day WR

Originally posted by GTDWorks View Post
            I will sometimes run out of time and do a way-too-fast scan of the list. Helpful somewhat, but leaves a lot to be desired.

Once I get that gnawing feeling that I'm missing something, I open up my someday/maybe list (whichever day it is) and review it.

Maybe you could schedule a separate day to review the list and/or trust your intuition to motivate you to review the list whenever you feel to.
            I have long been in the habit of doing "clean and clear" the day before my actual weekly review. If I want or need to go to the "higher levels", I usually schedule that for yet another day too.

By breaking my WR into small bites, I find I don't skip them because they are repelling me.

Comment

I do check my Someday/Maybe list every time I do a full Weekly Review. I don't always do a full Weekly Review, though. :blush:

Now, I don't always read over and concentrate on every single item in my Someday/Maybe list during that review, especially if my Project list is already overflowing with work. I will scan for possibly completed items and recently added items (which I'm more likely to have made some progress on or that may need more immediate attention). And I may pull out something just for fun.

Comment

Originally posted by sdann View Post
                Do others always scan their someday/maybe's during the weekly reviews? Can I give myself a little leeway on this?
                I scan my someday/maybes at every review which may be more often than weekly. I've been doing at least a mini review about 3 times a week since mid Feb.

But it's partly because I'm struggling with 2 warring thoughts on how to handle stuff.

One is I should have only things I can actually do in one week on my NA list. And a similarly relatively small projects lists.

The other is load up the NA lists every project I will get to or could possibly be done in this basic season/weather or this month because I may have the opportunity to move a few projects along that weren't planned during my weekly review. Weather changes what is possible almost hourly.

The conflict between these 2 options means I've been looking at my someday maybe's a lot more often. Then again it's also spring, and we just bought a building in town that needs a lot of construction work we're trying to finish before lambing so my projects tripled or more since winter.

I'd vote for actually looking at them at least weekly. It doesn't take long to read the list. I did find though that I had to read it out loud, not skim it or I missed things. I've been reading my list to the sheep when I fill water tanks. I have a very attentive audience as I read it too. I'll have to try to get hubby to take a picture of me and the flock GTD. I have a group of about 6 sheep who come over and stand around watching me when I'm reading out loud to them. Made me think of the flock of sheep in the Three Bags Full mystery.

Comment

Recently, after I read making it all work I become more selective. So, for me Someday/Maybe, is what it means. First Projects and then if I could or I would look at someday list

Comment

I recently decided to review someday/maybe monthly instead of weekly. Same reason: much longer than projects list; nothing is going to bite me; things don't change so fast. The month hasn't changed since, so I have not yet done it monthly!

Comment

I've also found that by breaking my list S/Maybe list down into 3 separate categories, that it's much friendlier for me to review at times other than my weekly review.

Here are my S/M Lists:

*Someday
                      *Someday/Maybe-Work
                      *Someday/Maybe-Special Project

Comment

Originally posted by sdann View Post
                        IMO, a thorough review of S/M MUST take place during each and every weekly review otherwise you won't trust it as an incubation tool. If you don't look at it seriously each week, you might miss something that needs to be activated at a given point in time. S/M needs the same attention as the Project list during weekly reviews. That's NON-NEGOTIABLE.

In my experience, I've found that lots of people make the mistake of treating the S/M list as a "blue sky" or "fantasy" list so they don't review it each week (or at least not thoroughly enough). They forget the "Someday" part of "Someday/Maybe". There are things on that list that MUST happen at some point, just not right now. Some of those things may have implicit deadlines or narrow windows of opportunity (weather conditions, for example). Neglect to review S/M each week and you may miss the opportunities.

I review every item on that list blow-by-blow each week and decide "No, not now" or "Yes, time to move on this." If yes, I move the project back to the Projects list, decide the next action, and park that reminder on the appropriate action list.

- Luke

Comment

Thanks for the comments!

Originally posted by ellobogrande View Post
                          I review every item on that list blow-by-blow each week and decide "No, not now" or "Yes, time to move on this."
                          Out of curiosity, how many items are on your Someday/Maybe list?

Comment

154 on my list - that's after a THOROUGH purge this week while on vacation.

Comment

I divide the timeliness of my stuff into three levels. (I went through this in excruciating detail in another post recently, but I realize that this is pretty much what it adds up to.)

So there's Current, for what I'm likely to work on this week. Idle, for what must be done and I won't work on this week. And Someday/Maybe (actually labelled Lists in my system) for fairly blue-sky stuff.

So Current and Idle should get reviewed every week. I'd like Someday/Maybe to also be reviewed every week, but in my automated system they're marked for review only monthly.

Gardener

Comment

Working...
                              X