Forum

• If you are new to these Forums, please take a moment to register using the fields above.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sub-Projects

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sub-Projects

First, to catch you up to speed, I am a Music Performance Major at a university in NC and I've been GTDing for about 8 months. I've been calling my solo performance pieces each a project and it's been working great.

However, I recently added "Senior Recital" (a 45 minute solo performance) to my projects list. In this recital I have roughly 7 different pieces that I am playing. I'm not sure what way to implement GTD in this case. Should I have a Recital project or 7 projects for each separate piece or both. I've also thought of maybe doing a 1 recital project with sub-projects.

Any help would be GREAT!
    Justin

It's Up to You

It all depends on the level of detail and separation you think you need in order to focus, organize, and act. If the individual elements require a lot more thinking, organizing, and what not, then you should separate them out into separate projects. My practice is to bring sub-projects to the main level of my projects with a note inside the project that I have done so (see my What About Sub-Projects?). But if your individual elements require very little than finding the music, practicing, and playing each piece; then they probably don't need to become separate sub-projects.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by Todd V; 08-08-2012, 01:09 PM.

Comment

I'd treat each piece as a project. I'd create a separate Recital project (or projects) for any non-musical tasks associated with the recital: send out invitations, rent tuxedo, whatever needs to be done.

I usually don't bother with subprojects because they just add overhead.

Katherine

Comment

Recital checklist.

I would create a Recital Project with checklist containing all related (sub)projects. So the list of Active Projects would contain:
        - Recital (folder with checklist, no Next Actions);
        - Recital: Send out invitations
        - Recital: Rent tuxedo
        - Recital: Do whatever needs to be done

Comment

Thanks!

Ok, so here's what I think I'm going to do. Since I've been successful with the project per piece plan, I'll continue to do that. However, I'll have a recital project with a checklist of the piece projects that I'll review weekly to make sure I'm not neglecting any of them.

I was concerned about getting burnt out by looking at all the work for every piece by looking in one folder. That's fixed (separate projects). I was also worried that in separating I would not spend an equal amount on each piece. Also fixed (checklist with recital project).

Thanks for the help guys! Time to practice...

Justin

Comment

Working...
          X