Forum

• If you are new to these Forums, please take a moment to register using the fields above.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

GTD newby & Outlook 2007 whitepaper

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GTD newby & Outlook 2007 whitepaper

i recently downloaded the "GTD and Outlook 2007" whitepaper pdf for setting up my outlook the gtd-way.

i'm working as a project manager and am handling multiple projects at the same time every time. I already have a referencing folders tree for all projects and subprojects (the work ones i mean, not gtd-projects).

In chapter 4: Managing email the process for email is delete, do / file, delegate or defer.

the delete and do part is clear and emails that not need action are filed in the reference folders.

i am however having problems getting my head around the delegate and defer part.
    Q: when do i delegate an email and when to defer? (My guess is to delegate when there is action to be taking not by me, and defer to make it into a task which is assigned to myself?)

for delegate two folders need to be created: @Actions and @Wating for.
    Q: when to put an email in @Actions and when in @Wating for?
    Q: what to do with the @Actions emails?
    Q: why do i not need to assign a category to the email?
    Q: are these the only two folders needed for delegate?

for defer:
    Q: what is the best method for transferring email to tasks? i need to have email attachements kept with the email, and i want to use my windows mobile phone also.

ronald

Highly recommend Total Workday Control Using Microsoft Outlook: The Eight Best Practices of Task and E-Mail Management by Michael Linenberger if your going to use Outlook to manage your tasks.

Comment

i already bought the pdf, was hoping that would be sufficient for setting up outlook

Comment

The Outlook 2007 document provides most of the answers to your questions. Take another close look at the section on e-mail.

If you choose to use @Action and @Waiting For folders, here's how to use them. As you process each e-mail, you must make sure that you identify any projects that may be embedded in it. Put that reminder on your Projects list. If the e-mail itself represents a sufficient reminder of your next action (read, reply, forward/delegate etc) and that action requires access to the current e-mail system you're using, move it to the @Action folder. You can even change the subject line to add a reminder of your chosen action.

A category assignment is not needed for these e-mails because the action must take place within the e-mail system. If the next action is a phone call, put the reminder on your @Calls list and save the e-mail in an Action Support folder.

E-mails that you send for which you are waiting on an action by someone else goes in your @Waiting For folder.

The fastest way to move an e-mail to the Tasks folder is to use the CTRL+SHIFT+V key combination ("move to folder").

I hope that helps.

Comment

Transfer emails to tasks

Originally posted by ronjon View Post
          for defer:
          Q: what is the best method for transferring email to tasks? i need to have email attachements kept with the email, and i want to use my windows mobile phone also.
          Right click on the mouse when you are in the email-inbox. Move on Tasks and you can create new, copy with or without attach

Comment

Originally posted by ronjon View Post
            Q: why do i not need to assign a category to the email?
            I use Google desktop but there is also Find. I think this is more direct than the question : Which is the category I had chosen for this?
            Last edited by clango; 05-25-2009, 10:02 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X